logo
Old 07-31-2019, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by Threepete
United States, OH, Beavercreek
Joined Jul 2019
42 Posts
Help!
DLE 55RA throttle linkage setup

Hello all. I need help with the throttle linkage set up on DLE55RA. Does anyone have any advice on how to connect the pushrod to the strange carb throttle arm?
Threepete is offline Find More Posts by Threepete
Last edited by Threepete; 07-31-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-31-2019, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
please provide pix of everything - the servo location and the arm on the engine. it's not hard but there is some hardware required.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 07-31-2019, 10:10 PM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
1,832 Posts
Sometimes its as simple as using a good quality clevis. A ball-link is fine too, but each has it's applications. From the Google pics I looked at for the DLE 55ra, the throttle arm isn't strange, but might be foreign to some.

I had a similar application for another engine a while back, and I used a quality type Hitec aluminum clevis, rather then try to squeeze or adapt a ball-link in there. Somewhat like old school glow planes, only better, sturdier components.

There's something that will work I'm sure. It's just a matter of finding it. You will if you study it though. Good luck with it.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old 07-31-2019, 10:20 PM
Joined Jul 2019
42 Posts
Thank you for the help. I found an arm in the box that is installed on the opposite side of the carb where I questioned the " strange arm". I now will work on routing the push arms, choosing the connectors and wiring the electric. Again, thanks for the help and I will be back soon for help solving another problem.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Team Horizon Hobby
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threepete View Post
Thank you for the help. I found an arm in the box that is installed on the opposite side of the carb where I questioned the " strange arm". I now will work on routing the push arms, choosing the connectors and wiring the electric. Again, thanks for the help and I will be back soon for help solving another problem.
I use Dubro ball links

DUB190 is the part number.

or

Dub 367 swivel ball.
Rolling Thunder is offline Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Old 08-02-2019, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by ml82232
United States, NE, Wahoo
Joined Oct 2013
222 Posts
I cut off the mount portion of a long nylon servo arm and bolt to the funky half moon plate on the throttle shaft
That way I can get better geometry on the linkage / longer stroke (gives finer resolution )especially at lower RPM / and better angle for the linkage
then either use a ball link or regular clevis end which ever works out better
ml82232 is offline Find More Posts by ml82232
Old 08-02-2019, 09:35 AM
Find More Posts by tazx100
Joined Jun 2018
67 Posts
i just purchased a side exhaust dle 55 and it only comes with 2 allen screws to attach the arm to the carb. If you look inside the carb arm it is threaded, I havent went to the store yet and got a screw but I wouldnt trust those allen screws.
tazx100 is offline Find More Posts by tazx100
Old 08-02-2019, 11:14 AM
Find More Posts by KMatch
United States, TX, Bay City
Joined Nov 2016
690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazx100 View Post
i just purchased a side exhaust dle 55 and it only comes with 2 allen screws to attach the arm to the carb. If you look inside the carb arm it is threaded, I havent went to the store yet and got a screw but I wouldnt trust those allen screws.
Putting a screw in the end of the shaft serves no purpose here. "IF" the allens came loose the carb will simply return to idle if the spring is left on as advised, or run away, either way forcing a landing. And the linkage prevents a loss of the arm. Lastly, if the allens are properly tightened they will outlive any and all planes this engine is attached to without ever coming loose. Only 1 is really needed. 2 gives an option on ease of access to install 1.
KMatch is offline Find More Posts by KMatch
Old 08-02-2019, 12:15 PM
Joined Jun 2018
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMatch View Post
Putting a screw in the end of the shaft serves no purpose here. "IF" the allens came loose the carb will simply return to idle if the spring is left on as advised, or run away, either way forcing a landing. And the linkage prevents a loss of the arm. Lastly, if the allens are properly tightened they will outlive any and all planes this engine is attached to without ever coming loose. Only 1 is really needed. 2 gives an option on ease of access to install 1.
Those are good points but im still gona put a screw in it.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
If you use a quality hardened allen driver (not a ball driver) on those set screws and add a bit of loctite they will never come out or loosen on their own. If still suspect, clean the parts thoroughly and add a small wipe of JB Weld or some thing similar to the shaft and it will be difficult to remove when you want the arm off. But if you must, the shaft end screws are usually SAE 4-40.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 08-02-2019, 03:07 PM
Find More Posts by KMatch
United States, TX, Bay City
Joined Nov 2016
690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazx100 View Post
Those are good points but im still gona put a screw in it.
Yep! Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do! Not a thing wrong with it. Poke around any spare carbs and similar you may have. Likely you'll find a screw from another odd place to fit this.
KMatch is offline Find More Posts by KMatch
Old 08-14-2019, 12:44 PM
Joined Jul 2019
42 Posts
Tazx100,

I tried it with a screw in the threaded hole and it pushed the throttle arm down into the c clip. it will bind up and prevent the throttle from returning completely to idle.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:58 PM
Joined Jun 2018
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threepete View Post
Tazx100,

I tried it with a screw in the threaded hole and it pushed the throttle arm down into the c clip. it will bind up and prevent the throttle from returning completely to idle.
Thanks for the input, its been hot in ark and i havent been in the shop much I just got the throttle arm on with the two allens and came in for lunch and saw your reply based on yours and eveyones help I wont be putting a screw in the center
Old 08-17-2019, 10:58 PM
Joined Jul 2019
42 Posts
The "missing screw" thing drove me crazy until I finally got a screw and found it bound the arm up on the c clip under the base of the throttle arm. I think you could grind off the base of the arm and make it work but its not worth the effort, the set screws seem to work fine.

Quick Reply