Old 09-12-2019, 11:58 AM
Find More Posts by Mr. Scary
28x Fanboy
United States, KS, Topeka
Joined May 2014
294 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum AR6600T ok for 35% MXS?

I am reconfiguring my Extreme Flight MXS from JR DMSS to Spektrum DSMX after having to sell my 28x radio. I am now going with my DX9. I had been using a JR RG1131BPU powebus receiver. It was of course awesome! I was going to use a Spektrum 9110 I already had, but I read of problems with my Promodler servos using the Spektrum powersafe receivers. SO -- another option was to use a non-powersafe receiver with a Booma Extreme I also already have. Since I only need 6ch with this setup, would a AR6600T with 1 satellite receiver be sufficient? I haven't read of any problems with them, just wondering if anyone has any warnings for me
Mr. Scary is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Scary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-12-2019, 01:09 PM
Find More Posts by 3DJP
United States, NJ, Penns Grove
Joined Dec 2015
1,575 Posts
Ch-1 throttle
Ch-2 r.ail
Ch-3 r.ele
Ch-4 rudder
Ch-5 used for ign
Ch-6 r.ail-2
Ch-7 l.ele
Ch-8 l.ail
Ch-9 l.ail-2

Would be hard to do with 6 channels.. you would need multiple matchboxes and would end up being a wiring nightmare.. also I probably would not trust one satellite in a 35% plane. Not impossible...lol
3DJP is offline Find More Posts by 3DJP
Old 09-12-2019, 01:22 PM
28x Fanboy
Joined May 2014
294 Posts
The Booma Extreme will handle all that. I just need 1-Thr, 2-R Ail, 3-L Ail, 4-Ele, 5-Rudder, 6-Ign. Then the Booma Extreme will match each side of Ailerons with 15pts of adjustment, and same with elevators. Im just used to flying with 3 to 4 satellites with this big of a plane. This 6ch only uses one sat. Although it is a true receiver also. So I have 2 total receivers whereas I only technically had 3 with the JR or would have 4 with with the Spektrum 9110 since the main units are not actual receivers.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by Memo Lomeli
United States, TX, McAllen
Joined Mar 2006
643 Posts
Hello ! The 9110 is the old version of power save receivers, I think the problem is with the ones, I would try first whit the 9110 is a great and reliable receiver, you should not have any problem!

Memo
Memo Lomeli is online now Find More Posts by Memo Lomeli
Old 09-12-2019, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by Carruthers43
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Aug 2010
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Scary View Post
I am reconfiguring my Extreme Flight MXS from JR DMSS to Spektrum DSMX after having to sell my 28x radio. I am now going with my DX9. I had been using a JR RG1131BPU powebus receiver. It was of course awesome! I was going to use a Spektrum 9110 I already had, but I read of problems with my Promodler servos using the Spektrum powersafe receivers. SO -- another option was to use a non-powersafe receiver with a Booma Extreme I also already have. Since I only need 6ch with this setup, would a AR6600T with 1 satellite receiver be sufficient? I haven't read of any problems with them, just wondering if anyone has any warnings for me
Mr. Scary,
no issues with pro modeler servos and power safe RX's i have been using that exact setup on 2s lipos for 5 years now... my beast, my 40% extra, my extremeflight yak that is actually on the pro modeler website is set up that way. the issue with with the first of the new power safe RX's with telemetry that were part of the recall. all smooth sailing now
Carruthers43 is offline Find More Posts by Carruthers43
Old 09-12-2019, 01:48 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,552 Posts
Quote:
The Booma Extreme will handle all that. I just need 1-Thr, 2-R Ail, 3-L Ail, 4-Ele, 5-Rudder, 6-Ign. Then the Booma Extreme will match each side of Ailerons with 15pts of adjustment, and same with elevators. Im just used to flying with 3 to 4 satellites with this big of a plane. This 6ch only uses one sat. Although it is a true receiver also. So I have 2 total receivers whereas I only technically had 3 with the JR or would have 4 with with the Spektrum 9110 since the main units are not actual receivers.
http://www.promodeler.com/
the yak on the home page is mine with a 12 channel power safe... 12310T RX no issues several years now
Old 09-12-2019, 02:06 PM
Find More Posts by suds
indywestrc & viehercfliers
United States, IN, Zionsville
Joined Jul 2014
622 Posts
For a 35% gasser, I’d feel better with 2 remotes and the 6600t only allows for one.
suds is online now Find More Posts by suds
Old 09-12-2019, 02:46 PM
28x Fanboy
Joined May 2014
294 Posts
I was worried after seeing John Beech's video from last June testing a Spektrum 9110 on an oscilloscope and getting spikes over 9v and killing his servos. Couldn't find a post that didn't say the 9110 WAS NOT compatible with the ProModlers. I have loved my PM servos and want to keep using them. Now Im trying to weigh the pros and cons of running the 9110 with 4 sats or going with the new 6600T with 1 sat. Two receivers vs. Four.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:55 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,552 Posts
Quote:
I was worried after seeing John Beech's video from last June testing a Spektrum 9110 on an oscilloscope and getting spikes over 9v and killing his servos. Couldn't find a post that didn't say the 9110 WAS NOT compatible with the ProModlers. I have loved my PM servos and want to keep using them. Now Im trying to weigh the pros and cons of running the 9110 with 4 sats or going with the new 6600T with 1 sat. Two receivers vs. Four.
just go with the power safe you wont regret it just stick to only 2s lipos... part of the other issue was people running 3s regulated to 8.5volts it will spike under load
Old 09-12-2019, 03:12 PM
28x Fanboy
Joined May 2014
294 Posts
Yep, have been doing the 2s lipos for years myself. I will go that route. Will be lighter than running with the Booma and less complicated.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by jbeech
Joined Nov 2013
65 Posts
Folks, the issue we showed on that video 'only' affected DL-series servos. There was NEVER an issue with either our CL or BL-series - and we sorted the DL-series within a few weeks with a redesigned PCB.

Using a PowerSafe receiver is totally a non-factor (we only showed that so folks would know what we had discovered). Basically, we didn't want to be accused of participating in an information blackout. Showing everybody what was really happening regarding incompatibility was so we weren't blamed (and how we slept at night).

And please note, we were not alone in dealing with Spektrum with this because others had similar experiences. For example, how many of you recall when Hitec developed the PAD (power absorption device) for their brushless servos?

Anyway, our approach was different in that we redesigned our PCB to handle the spike internally (like with our CL and BL series servos). Internally, versus with an external device. Of course, either method sorts the Spektrum incompatibility but our way is cleaner.

Bottom line? No worries using ProModeler servos with PowerSafe receivers - none!

Source? Horse's mouth.
jbeech is offline Find More Posts by jbeech
Last edited by jbeech; 09-13-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:29 AM
28x Fanboy
Joined May 2014
294 Posts
AWESOME!! I actually did install the 9110 last night. No issues at all so far. But knowing that my BL servos were never in question is icing on the cake! I will just use the 6600T in a Freewing A10!
Old 09-13-2019, 12:23 PM
Find More Posts by jbeech
Joined Nov 2013
65 Posts
At the time we learned of the incompatibility between the PowerSafe and our DL-series, they were relatively new to the market. So what I did was contact affected owners and offer to update their servos (for free) if they anticipated using them with a Spektrum PowerSafe system (some did, most didn't care). Did I have to do this? No, of course not because we're not the ones who changed the industry-standard, which led to the incompatibility - but - I'm a modeler just like you and everybody else on FG. The point being, I know the feeling first hand that comes when you trust your labor of love to the sky. That, and I'm proud of my product and want the experience to be a good one regardless of who caused the incompatibility. Anyway, once again, slept better for it.

Finally, once you fly your new model, how about you send us a photo of you wearing a big grin and holding it? And if you haven't reviewed them, please visit the site and click on write a review. I'll go in an add the photo afterward!
jbeech is offline Find More Posts by jbeech
Old 09-13-2019, 02:53 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeech View Post
At the time we learned of the incompatibility between the PowerSafe and our DL-series, they were relatively new to the market. So what I did was contact affected owners and offer to update their servos (for free) if they anticipated using them with a Spektrum PowerSafe system (some did, most didn't care). Did I have to do this? No, of course not because we're not the ones who changed the industry-standard, which led to the incompatibility - but - I'm a modeler just like you and everybody else on FG. The point being, I know the feeling first hand that comes when you trust your labor of love to the sky. That, and I'm proud of my product and want the experience to be a good one regardless of who caused the incompatibility. Anyway, once again, slept better for it.

Finally, once you fly your new model, how about you send us a photo of you wearing a big grin and holding it? And if you haven't reviewed them, please visit the site and click on write a review. I'll go in an add the photo afterward!
And this is support you don’t get from big companies...
Old 09-13-2019, 02:54 PM
28x Fanboy
Joined May 2014
294 Posts
Oh the MXS has flown with BL470s all season, but with JR 1311BPU DMSS receiver with a JR 28x. I've downsized a bit and gone back to my DX9, so having to come up with a reasonable but safe Spektrum solution. I am definitely a ProModler fan and will use them in any future projects. And to be honest, your level of care and service is one of the biggest factors in this. I had used PowerHD Storm Brushless servos with similar specs. I had one fail. I of course was out on an island. Havne't had any trouble with a ProModler, but if I do, I know I can talk to you about it!

Quick Reply