Old 09-13-2019, 02:38 PM
Find More Posts by Jmorgan
United States, KY, Mayfield
Joined Sep 2019
3 Posts
Discussion
Good begginers plane

Hello all,
I am just getting into the hobby and I am looking for suggestions on a good starters plane. I have been flying on my simulator for about 6 months now and have gotten fairly good with basic maneuvers (take off, landing, etc.) can anyone recommend a good starter plane? is it okay to start off with balsa gas plane or what?

Thanks!
Jmorgan is offline Find More Posts by Jmorgan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-13-2019, 02:53 PM
Find More Posts by KMatch
United States, TX, Bay City
Joined Nov 2016
690 Posts
I’m not fond of electric but when asked about this one I was all for it. https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXLHNA&P=K
KMatch is offline Find More Posts by KMatch
Old 09-13-2019, 03:02 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
ParkZone Apprentice.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 09-13-2019, 04:53 PM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
1,832 Posts
Here's another one... The Flyzone Sensei...

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...01p?I=FLZA3130

... along the same lines as the EFlite Apprentice.. both are decent products, and fly as designed. Both available through Tower Hobbies or probably a local hobby shop... as well as replacement parts are available for both, which makes either plane perfect for learning the basics... and getting some depth perception going now that you've started the muscle memory with the sim.

I like both the Apprentice and the Sensei, and have flown both on a few occasions where someone needed some help getting started.

Depending on how good you've become, you'd stand a good chance of success with either one. If you have someone there that can get it flying first, and trimmed, and walk you through a few take-offs and landings, you'd quickly be on your way. If not, then you'd still stand a chance with either one with your simulator training. I'm only suggesting help, as Sims are great tools, but still not quite like real flight.. up to you though.

As for balsa, gas, etc.. you'd be money ahead at this point to go with something like these foam based planes. Get one and fly it for a few months while you ponder what's next... and if you're truly hooked on RC.. there will be a next, and another next, etc...

From there you can decide if you want to get a glow powered plane(read glow fuel), or spend some extra money and jump right to gas powered. There's a little difference, but the principles are the same... but for first actual flights, go with a foamy. Good luck with it.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Last edited by DGrant; 09-13-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:52 PM
Find More Posts by Shawnlh
Smiley
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Jan 2006
512 Posts
The above suggestions are par for the course, but I feel there is an alternative. Taking your sim time into consideration, I would suggest and electric version of this.....https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?I=LXHUST&P=ML

The Twist was my second plane coming from a high wing trainer. I flew the high wing trainer a total of 6 flights, then gave it away. If I had to do it all over again, I would start with the Twist. The HUGE wing and massive airfoil make it a breeze to handle, it floats like a kite. Just keep your rates low till you're comfortable. Then once you're familiar, you can progress to more advanced maneuvers without having to change up air frames.
Shawnlh is offline Find More Posts by Shawnlh
Old 09-13-2019, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by AHicks
Joined May 2009
1,914 Posts
I was brought up on planes I had to build a hundred years ago, and since have taught a lot of guys how to fly on similar. Nowadays, there are some darn nice flying electrics that make good trainers, and I've seen guys with a lot of sim time, but without a lot of instruction, do fairly well with them. So which to recommend? Who knows! Just believe the P-51's and similar military planes, as well as scale civilian planes, are NOT good trainers! If it's a trainer, the add copy will say trainer.

I will say bigger planes (say 56"+) are easier to see, thus easier to control because you can see what they're doing more quickly. There's also the wind to deal with. A small foamie will fly in the wind, but whether you're learning anything, or just in survival mode, is another question. In any case, you see them sidelined frequently when there's anything heavier than just a light breeze.

I would HIGHLY recommend flying with a club or even a group of guys that gather regularly. If not for the BS sessions, for the fact that there's a LOT of experience in learning how to fly among them. If they're like 99.9999% of the guys I've met, they'll be happy to share some of that wisdom. There's also a chance somebody will have a moth balled trainer up in the rafters. I know I've "donated" several, and similar moves by others are not unheard of. Keep up with the sim time while you track down a plane. Learning is about stick time, and the more you get the easier flying becomes.

Best of luck! -Al
AHicks is offline Find More Posts by AHicks
Old 09-13-2019, 08:11 PM
Find More Posts by Threepete
United States, OH, Beavercreek
Joined Jul 2019
42 Posts
I have a great Alpha 60 trainer I might be willing to part with. Its in great shape. Its nitro not electric and in my opinion, the only way to start flying.
Threepete is offline Find More Posts by Threepete
Old 09-13-2019, 10:27 PM
Joined Sep 2019
3 Posts
This has been helpful, thanks a lot for the suggestions. I actually have a smaller club I intend on flying with and one of the members sold me a morris hobbies Jerrys Big Boy plane (80" Wingspan) with a 20 dle and Futaba servos for a really good deal.
Are any of you familiar with these planes? would it work to start out on or do I need to go ahead and buy a trainer and graduate into the big boy later on?
Old 09-13-2019, 10:35 PM
Joined Sep 2019
3 Posts
Hey, I saw your reply about the Alpha 60 you might be interested in letting go?
could you message me some pics and tell me what all it has or comes with?
also, would you be willing to ship?
Thanks for your time!
Old 09-14-2019, 01:03 AM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
1,832 Posts
The Jerrys Big Boy might work if you have some guidance. Maybe not as a very first powered plane though, but if you pick flying up well, that could be a second plane. They're aerobatic, but not extremely fast because of the size.... and that Big Boy with a 20cc engine won't be a speed demon by any stretch.

The Alpha 60 offer was pretty cool too. That's a plane a person would do well with, in a small club with an instructor or friend that knows the ropes. They fly as well as any other high wing trainer... and actually most of that type all fly about the same when set up correctly.

If you could get a hold of that Alpha, learn to run that engine, and get where you grease it in for landings, you'd probably be ready to step to the Big Boy.... albeit I would definitely recommend an instructor for any of the fuel powered planes.

Again, someone that could guide you, and most importantly teach the safety aspects of it all. That's something you have to be aware of.... and is a factor that a simulator can't teach you. There's probably someone in your club that would be glad to help I would think.

Just keep reading and studying and you'll do fine.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old 09-14-2019, 08:45 AM
Find More Posts by KMatch
United States, TX, Bay City
Joined Nov 2016
690 Posts
My advice depends on your age. If you're planning to learn without help beyond a sim and you are 12, you'll do fine with a P51 warbird as a starter. If you're 40, grab a few basic trainers and hope for results before running out of planes. This is based on my experience in training others!
KMatch is offline Find More Posts by KMatch
Old 09-14-2019, 04:35 PM
Find More Posts by Threepete
United States, OH, Beavercreek
Joined Jul 2019
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorgan View Post
Hey, I saw your reply about the Alpha 60 you might be interested in letting go?
could you message me some pics and tell me what all it has or comes with?
also, would you be willing to ship?
Thanks for your time!
I can send some pictures if you are really interested. It has everything just as it came.. ready to fly with Tx. I had it up about 3 weeks ago. The Tx and Rx battery would need replaced because I use them on other models. Shipping is not an option due to the size of the plane. You would have to come and get it or send a courier. The alpha 60 is a large trainer.
Threepete is offline Find More Posts by Threepete

Quick Reply