logo
This thread is privately moderated by TheTank, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:15 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
convention is to enter into the wind, as most sequences contain a spin and the spin will be written with the intent of doing it into the wind. not a requirement, but looks pretty strange if the plane is drifting downwind while trying to enter the spin.

same thing with a stall turn...if you stall into the wind, it looks much better than if it drifts across the top.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-18-2018, 04:16 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts
All if you are wanting to try IMAC and you are near Tucson, AZ or the Southwest region then we are offering a first time pilot fee of only $5 to enter the contest. If you join IMAC at the contest the $5 fee is free!The event is March 10-11th at TRCC. We are also offering a $1000 to $1500 cash prize for the Tucson Cup Reward. A big thanks to R/C Depot for the donation. The pilot must fly IMAC and Freestyle. Plus we will have well over $3000 in raffle prizes.

For more information check out this forum!
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...d.php?t=223048
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old 09-22-2019, 09:17 PM
Find More Posts by geebeez1969
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined May 2019
1 Posts
I WENT TO MY FIRSY IMAC EVENT TODAY IN LAS VEGAS. LOOKS LIKE FUN. HOW LONG CAN YOU STAY IN THE BASIC CATEGORY? I LIKE TO FLY WARBIRDS. IS THE A CRITRIA FOR MOVING UP I HAVE NO DESIRE TO COMPETE BEYOND BASIC BUT I WILL BE HAPPY TO COME TO CONTESTS AND FLY FOR FUN.
geebeez1969 is offline Find More Posts by geebeez1969
Old 09-23-2019, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
You can stay as long as you want.

Rule book states if in one year, you end up in 1, 2, or 3rd place in regional points

Then you have to move up

However
Let’s say in one season you did 5 contests
And in each contest you came in 1st place
And you did not want to move up

Then you can still fly basic but I believe
I could be wrong
But I be you could still fly in basic class
Except you would not be in regional points lineup for the basic class
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 09-23-2019, 08:49 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
don't confuse the AMA SA rules with the IMAC rules. From the AMA rulebook:

"A contestant in Basic through Advanced classes will be required to move to the next higher class at the beginning of the next calendar year if the contestant wins five (5) or more contests in the current year provided that in each winning contest the contestant flew against at least four (4) other competitors who made official flights. If any of the contestant's winning contests had fewer than four (4) other competitors that made official flights, that contest will not be counted in the total of winning contests used to force advancement in class. "

If you don't want to move up, don't win.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 09-23-2019, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by TBeghtol
United States, NV, North Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2016
36 Posts
From an IMAC Basic newbie...

I flew in Basic at the Viva Las Vegas event this past weekend.

I had a ball, and flew an inexpensive electric model. Every one was very helpful and encouraging throughout the weekend.

I know of at least one pilot who has flown in Basic for several years and has a great time.

If you are interested, drop me a PM and I will be happy to discuss my impressions.

Bottom line, if you want to try your hand at IMAC do it!

Tim Beghtol
TBeghtol is offline Find More Posts by TBeghtol
Old 09-23-2019, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,508 Posts
During my 12 years of competing in IMAC in the NE Region, I have never seen anyone meet the criteria described above which compels a competitor to move up.
My impression is that most of the people I know that compete in IMAC enjoy the challenge. When you are ready to "move up", you will most likely want to move up in order to stay challenged.
Good luck.
Flybye Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Old 09-24-2019, 06:27 AM
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
Hello GeeBeez,

wanted to show you From the IMAC rule book.

For the purpose of Regional Points, if a Basic-class competitor places first, second or, third in the Regional Points, regardless if competitor has not placed in enough Basic contests to move up, the competitor will have to move to the Sportsman class in the following season. In the event that the competitor doesn’t move up, any points earned in the following season will not count toward the next year’s Regional Points Championship.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:33 AM
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybye Steve View Post
During my 12 years of competing in IMAC in the NE Region, I have never seen anyone meet the criteria described above which compels a competitor to move up.
My impression is that most of the people I know that compete in IMAC enjoy the challenge. When you are ready to "move up", you will most likely want to move up in order to stay challenged.
Good luck.

in my region, at the end of the season, all of the Basic pilots who finished in the

#1, #2, and #3 position in the regional point series are forced to move up, as the IMAC rule book requires.

However, if you end up, at the end of the season in 1, 2, or 3 position, and you do not move up

you can still fly in basic, but your points will not count towards the RPS finish line for that year.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Our society is collapsing
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2006
8,711 Posts
Never mind...It is in the Regional points description... so you are NOT required to move up, you just wouldn't earn points......

So you certainly could stay in basic as long as you do not win 5 contests for as long as you like...
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthobird View Post
Hello GeeBeez,

wanted to show you From the IMAC rule book.

For the purpose of Regional Points, if a Basic-class competitor places first, second or, third in the Regional Points, regardless if competitor has not placed in enough Basic contests to move up, the competitor will have to move to the Sportsman class in the following season. In the event that the competitor doesn’t move up, any points earned in the following season will not count toward the next year’s Regional Points Championship.
which section of the rule book is this from?
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Last edited by exeter_acres; 09-24-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:38 PM
Find More Posts by azcrashpro
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Nov 2010
231 Posts
It isn't in the rules. It is in the Regional Points Series information. It does contradict rule 9.3 in the rule book.

Mike
azcrashpro is offline Find More Posts by azcrashpro

Quick Reply