logo
Old 09-23-2019, 08:49 PM
Find More Posts by Whiplash48
Maryland
Joined Apr 2009
121 Posts
Both the '84 Stearman and the '88-'90 Ultimates had up thrust in the motor, negative incidents in the top wing, lower wing generally 0 or neutral and a significant amount of positive incidents in the stab (down elevator).

This picture shows me cutting the tail off of the Stearman after only 2 flights. Total incidents was about 3 degrees, which was still not enough. In long up-lines. Steve would eventually run out of down elevator throw, which in the end would determine about where a stall turn, tailslide or Hump-Turn would commence.

Every aerobatic airplane I have designed or built since has a removable tail for easier incidents changes.
Whiplash48 is offline Find More Posts by Whiplash48
Last edited by Whiplash48; 09-24-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-23-2019, 09:38 PM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
That Pic is Priceless, Hack saw to Planes lol
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 09-23-2019, 10:48 PM
Find More Posts by Marvan Maxwell
God, Family,Country,JR-Radios
United States, CO, Greeley
Joined Feb 2006
965 Posts
Remember when ?

Here are three more Flyers that I found from the past. Hope you enjoy.

Van
Marvan Maxwell is offline Find More Posts by Marvan Maxwell
Old 09-25-2019, 08:56 PM
Find More Posts by Model_Builder
Joined May 2008
78 Posts
Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvan Maxwell View Post
Here are three more Flyers that I found from the past. Hope you enjoy.

Van
Love seeing the Kit Information. It presumes we are all builders.
It wasn't that long ago if a man wanted a boat, he built one.
Cheers.
Model_Builder is offline Find More Posts by Model_Builder
Old 10-06-2019, 10:13 PM
Joined May 2008
78 Posts
Clipped T-Craft by Jim Simpson

I`m just floatin `this as it is a classic Aerobat. Jim Simpson Clipped Taylorcraft. 25% scale 88 inch span
An excellent foray into building and Aerobatics.
Plans are a free download.
Fibertech has cowls.
A straight forward build. Awesome performer and I just ordered covering for two more. This one had a Quadra 42 before the current electric conversion.
Last edited by Model_Builder; 10-06-2019 at 10:19 PM. Reason: added detail
Old 10-07-2019, 12:00 AM
Joined Feb 2006
965 Posts
Clipped Wing T-Craft , Jtec Short Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model_Builder View Post
I`m just floatin `this as it is a classic Aerobat. Jim Simpson Clipped Taylorcraft. 25% scale 88 inch span
An excellent foray into building and Aerobatics.
Plans are a free download.
Fibertech has cowls.
A straight forward build. Awesome performer and I just ordered covering for two more. This one had a Quadra 42 before the current electric conversion.

I love the T-Craft that one is so cool . This is mine it's a Jtec short kit . 114 " span, 3W-110 CS and all MonoKote. Hope you enjoy. Also a shot of my Jtec Pitts M12 from 3 years ago.

Van
Old 10-07-2019, 06:33 AM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Apr 2009
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash48 View Post
Both the '84 Stearman and the '88-'90 Ultimates had up thrust in the motor, negative incidents in the top wing, lower wing generally 0 or neutral and a significant amount of positive incidents in the stab (down elevator).

This picture shows me cutting the tail off of the Stearman after only 2 flights. Total incidents was about 3 degrees, which was still not enough. In long up-lines. Steve would eventually run out of down elevator throw, which in the end would determine about where a stall turn, tailslide or Hump-Turn would commence.

Every aerobatic airplane I have designed or built since has a removable tail for easier incidents changes.

Dang, a hacksaw. Getting serious there I see.
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old 10-07-2019, 11:28 AM
Joined May 2008
78 Posts
Beauty "T-Craft"

Quote:
I love the T-Craft that one is so cool . This is mine it's a Jtec short kit . 114 " span, 3W-110 CS and all MonoKote. Hope you enjoy. Also a shot of my Jtec Pitts M12 from 3 years ago.

Van
Beautiful T-Craft Van. Perfect size and 3W power. Excellent color scheme.
I notice the Aeromaster? in the background. Mine is maroon with cream scallops and Saito .80 in radial cowl.

There is a fellow up here selling Bob Nelitz 1 /3 scale T-Craft plans. I do love that JTec though. Is the short kit still available?? Thanks for sharing that.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:15 PM
Joined Feb 2006
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model_Builder View Post
Beautiful T-Craft Van. Perfect size and 3W power. Excellent color scheme.
I notice the Aeromaster? in the background. Mine is maroon with cream scallops and Saito .80 in radial cowl.

There is a fellow up here selling Bob Nelitz 1 /3 scale T-Craft plans. I do love that JTec though. Is the short kit still available?? Thanks for sharing that.

The Aeromaster was built in 1975 , It is an Andrew's kit . It was a fathers day gift from my son when he was 4 . It is the last silk and dope plane that i did , it had a Super Tiger 90 in it.
The T-Craft short kit is still available from Jtec and it is kited from the Bob Nelitz plans.
(http://www.jtecrc.com/taylorcraftkit.html )

Thanks
Van
Old 10-07-2019, 01:10 PM
Find More Posts by Whiplash48
Maryland
Joined Apr 2009
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal22 View Post
Dang, a hacksaw. Getting serious there I see.
One does what one must do! Fine toothed Hacksaw was the tool for the job.

A few days after this picture was taken we packed up and started the long trip West, 4 day drive from Maryland. (one day stop in Texas to visit some friends).

We arrived in Vegas five days before the TOC started. Day one practice went OK, by the end of the day the Stearman had maybe 10 flights on it. Near the end of a long day 2, Steve was in the second half of a horizontal Cuban-8 when the right elevator started to flap wildly about its hinge. Steel DuBro clevis broke at the fork.

At the time the airplane was inverted in a 45 deg. downline. I had no idea what was happening. A quick roll to upright, chop power and a hard landing in the grass just off the runway ensued. The firewall, engine and all went tumbling, landing gear ripped out and all four wing tips were damaged.

At least the stab stayed on....

We thought the trip was over! After a nice dinner of Chinese takeout and a few cold ones we started to piece it back together. The following afternoon we were back at the field with it and Steve flying better than ever. At this point we had nothing to lose so Steve really started to relax and learn the Stearman's virtues and vices.

On the day of the finals, 2nd place ($15K) felt pretty great!

By the day of the finals on Sunday I doubt if the Stearman had more than 100 flights on it yet and 20 of those would have been during the contest. Stab was still attached, post hacksaw and crash....
Whiplash48 is offline Find More Posts by Whiplash48
Old 10-08-2019, 01:52 AM
Joined May 2008
78 Posts
Nelitz influence Alive and Well.

Quote:
The Aeromaster was built in 1975 , It is an Andrew's kit . It was a fathers day gift from my son when he was 4 . It is the last silk and dope plane that i did , it had a Super Tiger 90 in it.
The T-Craft short kit is still available from Jtec and it is kited from the Bob Nelitz plans.
(http://www.jtecrc.com/taylorcraftkit.html )

Thanks
Van
Very Nice Van! I'll check that out. I don't mind speeding up or streamlining the path to success with a something like a short kit of that Quality. Bob was my fathers generation. A local guy and a regular guy. Immaculate but regular. He did a 33% Cornell that was breath taking. When I retire I'll have more pics to share.

Bob did a Jungmann BU131 Hirth that is over the top. A local guy has it and it is still seen from time to time. Museum Quality. The same Larry has the 112 inch T-Craft plans for $50 Cdn I believe. Hard to go wrong unless one can't build. I don't believe the plans for the BU131 were ever for sale.

Thanks for your contribution Van. I would love to see how many people know and desire the subjects mentioned here-in. I hope a few photos will be welcome when I can find them.
Cheers Pal, Bill
Old 11-13-2019, 05:45 PM
Joined May 2008
78 Posts
Nice pic

I snagged this photo off line in 2004. The available image remaining on line has shrank dramatically in the past 15 years.

taylorcraft.org has great technical resources. A 32 pg Owners manual for B Model as well as
48 pg service manual for B12D. Both in PDF Great illustrations would assist in making a full span wing
for example. Other specs such as throws would be of great help if starting without such details.

This sidebar came from repeatedly observing Van's T-Craft wing root and believing it must be close to
a NACA 23012 and indeed it is that airfoil. The Pitts Samson, Beech D-17 Staggerwing and most Cessnas also utilize the NACA 23012.
Last edited by Model_Builder; 11-13-2019 at 08:15 PM. Reason: add info
Old 02-05-2020, 07:36 PM
Joined Feb 2006
965 Posts
1998 TOC

Was cleaning my shop and found some pictures of the 1998 Toc. Hope you enjoy!
Old 02-05-2020, 07:47 PM
Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Gettin better 1 crash@ a time!
Cody WY
Joined Apr 2009
1,890 Posts
Nice! Interesting to see a little more diversity than we have now with our somewhat homogenized Extra/Edge/MXS/Laser planes. Couple Giles, Katana, and a Cap!
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Old 02-05-2020, 10:19 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
great pix. 1998 was the first year Bill Hempel competed at the TOC, and he flew a 40% Edge, scratch built and blown up from Aeroworks 36% plans, plus an enlarged stab. He placed a respectable 10th.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Last edited by FGNewbie; 02-05-2020 at 11:22 PM.

Quick Reply