Old 06-26-2019, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkorenek View Post
Suppose I'm flying and become disoriented. Can Heading Hold Flight Mode be use to go into a hover as to recover orientation in a panic situation? Has anybody done this?
Thanks
Randy Korenek
No
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-26-2019, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by rkorenek
Houston TX
Joined Oct 2007
16 Posts
I hope that someday the Daemon Cortex will support auto-level.
rkorenek is offline Find More Posts by rkorenek
Old 12-02-2019, 03:36 PM
Find More Posts by gohighflyrc
Joined Feb 2008
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyflyer View Post
Has anyone put a demon cortex in an Extreme Flight 88 Edge with a DA60? I have put Cortexes in some of my other planes and love them. However, I have read there have been some issues with some single engine applications such as a DA35 and like a DA60. I don’t know if what I have read were isolated incidents or not but wanted to get some feedback on this. If I thought it would work well, I would consider putting one in my 88 Edge.

Thanks in advance!
Keith
I have one in my 89" Slick with a DA 60 it's always been a problem. Control surfaces flutter of jump, can't trust it, so I just turn it off now. Wish there was something I could do, might just have to take it out and put in something else, hate to though.
gohighflyrc is offline Find More Posts by gohighflyrc
Old 12-06-2019, 08:39 AM
Multi Platform Pilot
Joined Dec 2007
10,875 Posts
It's picking up vibration from the airframe.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:47 PM
Joined Feb 2008
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
It's picking up vibration from the airframe.

Yeah, not much I can though is there?
Old 12-06-2019, 08:47 PM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohighflyrc View Post
Yeah, not much I can though is there?

Mount it correctly and it won't be a problem. I've run Cortex and many other gyro systems in gas airplanes without the slightest problem. Mount it somewhere rigid (not thin sheeting) and use the provided mounting tape and it shouldn't be a problem.
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old 12-06-2019, 09:39 PM
Joined Feb 2008
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455 View Post
Mount it correctly and it won't be a problem. I've run Cortex and many other gyro systems in gas airplanes without the slightest problem. Mount it somewhere rigid (not thin sheeting) and use the provided mounting tape and it shouldn't be a problem.
It's mounted correctly just underneath the wing tube. I've had suggestions from the Danny at Cortex, tried them all and nothings corrected it
Old 12-07-2019, 09:47 AM
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
Well since many others have them work perfectly fine there is obviously SOMETHING that isn't right. Perhaps it's defective but if it behaves properly without the engine running and controls jump when the engine is running that's pretty much a smoking gun that you've got a vibration problem in your plane. Whether it's a poorly balanced prop or a jacked thrust washer on your engine, the reason doesn't really matter, you've got a vibration problem. With proper mounting and reasonable vibration levels they work just fine. Fix the cause of the problem and yours will too. If it acts screwy without the engine running that's another whole problem but since you said you've discussed this with Danny and he didn't say to return it I'm guessing that isn't the case.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:14 AM
Joined Feb 2008
465 Posts
Quote:
Well since many others have them work perfectly fine there is obviously SOMETHING that isn't right. Perhaps it's defective but if it behaves properly without the engine running and controls jump when the engine is running that's pretty much a smoking gun that you've got a vibration problem in your plane. Whether it's a poorly balanced prop or a jacked thrust washer on your engine, the reason doesn't really matter, you've got a vibration problem. With proper mounting and reasonable vibration levels they work just fine. Fix the cause of the problem and yours will too. If it acts screwy without the engine running that's another whole problem but since you said you've discussed this with Danny and he didn't say to return it I'm guessing that isn't the case.
Who know's ? There are a few out there with gassers that it has not work for do to vibration, looks like I'm one of the unlucky ones. Prop is balanced, new DA 60 at the time, moved Cortex to a few different spots, used a heavy piece of metal same size as the Cortex under it per Danny's suggestion, nothing worked. Thought about the Aura but it seems to difficult to trim and add knife edge mixes at the field I which the Aura read the mixes in the TX like the Cortex. Tried a guys Aura at the field but it's not as "crisp" as the Demon in point rolls etc. Oh well, the 89 Slick is a super plane with out the Demon, happy for that.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:01 PM
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Who know's ? There are a few out there with gassers that it has not work for do to vibration, looks like I'm one of the unlucky ones. Prop is balanced, new DA 60 at the time, moved Cortex to a few different spots, used a heavy piece of metal same size as the Cortex under it per Danny's suggestion, nothing worked. Thought about the Aura but it seems to difficult to trim and add knife edge mixes at the field I which the Aura read the mixes in the TX like the Cortex. Tried a guys Aura at the field but it's not as "crisp" as the Demon in point rolls etc. Oh well, the 89 Slick is a super plane with out the Demon, happy for that.

I've used a bunch of Auras too and they aren't really any more difficult to setup rates and expos or trim than the Cortex, as long as you have a PC hat you can bring to the field. I personally don't use any knife edge mixes with the Aura as it doesn't seem to need them. However, if you feel that your knife edge isn't as good as you'd like with just the Aura you can absolutely use transmitter mixes with the Aura the same as the Cortex.

Point rolls with my Auras were always perfect and the roll stops the instant the stick is released with 0 overshoot. Not sure how much more crisp than that you can get.

If the one you flew wasn't like that then it simply isn't working up to it's potential for some reason.
If you want to really see how well the Aura flies you need to try something like Flex's Mamba 10 with the upgraded 4S motor installed.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:06 PM
Joined Feb 2008
465 Posts
Quote:
I've used a bunch of Auras too and they aren't really any more difficult to setup rates and expos or trim than the Cortex, as long as you have a PC hat you can bring to the field. I personally don't use any knife edge mixes with the Aura as it doesn't seem to need them. However, if you feel that your knife edge isn't as good as you'd like with just the Aura you can absolutely use transmitter mixes with the Aura the same as the Cortex.

Point rolls with my Auras were always perfect and the roll stops the instant the stick is released with 0 overshoot. Not sure how much more crisp than that you can get.

If the one you flew wasn't like that then it simply isn't working up to it's potential for some reason.
If you want to really see how well the Aura flies you need to try something like Flex's Mamba 10 with the upgraded 4S motor installed.
Don't have a PC I can bring to the field unfortunately. Have an new Aura sitting on my desk, can't decide if I should give it a go or not. Can an IPad be used for tuning at the field ?
Last edited by gohighflyrc; 12-07-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:46 PM
Joined Feb 2008
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinywi View Post
I have a Cortex Pro installed in a 74” Extreme Flight Slick 580. I have mounted it over the wing tube on a very sturdy mount using the thin foam adhesive tape. The Mount is strong and does not move as it is glued to the wing tube and also the former right behind it. I am using a JR XG8 DMSS radio and the plane flies great with the DLE-35RA in the front. Other than programing with my radio I have not done any programing of the Cortex.

There seems to be two issues I am having. The first issue is that after I set up the Cortex with the radio and restart it the rudder seems to drift to an offset when in the HH mode. On the off and standard modes, it is solid, but drifts 4 to 5 degrees when on HH?

The second issue is more serious. When flying the plane and I turn the gyro on the plane immediately does a nose dive straight down. It seems to hold this position and I have to turn it off to recover back to level flight. I have not left it in this mode to try to fly out of it as it just to nerve racking. On the ground I do not see any issues with controls when I start it and do slow or fast run-ups with the motor. On the ground it all appears to work just fine and I cannot duplicate the issue. I have tried to fly with the gyro 3 times and all 3 times I have the same issue. Also no other surface is affected by this just the elevator and always in the down direction.

I have tried moving it, more secure attachment, went through the programing again and nothing seems to solve the issue.

Any thoughts?

Next step is to remove it from the plane.
The mount on the wing tube on your Slick, is that something you built or is it part of the plane
Old 12-09-2019, 08:05 AM
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Don't have a PC I can bring to the field unfortunately. Have an new Aura sitting on my desk, can't decide if I should give it a go or not. Can an IPad be used for tuning at the field ?

No, the Aura config app is PC only. The Auras that come in Flex ARFs are all pre-configured and fly really well on those settings but for an open stock Aura you really want a PC so you can dial in your rate and expo settings. With only a home PC you can certainly configure it but you really need to have something so you can tune the rates and expos and adjust the gains at the filed. I thin anything running windows should work so maybe something like this https://www.amazon.com/RCA-Cambio-To...%2C143&sr=8-11
Old 12-09-2019, 06:27 PM
Find More Posts by eclipse
ohio
Joined Oct 2006
34 Posts
do you need a usb port? tablets not gonna have that.
eclipse is offline Find More Posts by eclipse
Old 12-09-2019, 06:35 PM
Multi Platform Pilot
Joined Dec 2007
10,875 Posts
Yes, you need a USB port to configure it

Quick Reply