logo
Old 02-09-2020, 01:17 PM
Find More Posts by Justwantafly
Joined Jan 2018
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxiterror View Post
First off, I respect your opinion and your right to air it. Although I never flew full scale beyond AF Flight School and I have never dealt with FAA directly, in my line of work I have dealt with the IRS and other Bank regulatory agency, so I feel somewhat qualified to comment on your opinion. If we all take your view, then let's just let the FAA shove it up our butts. Not the right approach in my opinion. Almost all regulatory agencies act the same toward creating regulations. They use a shotgun to kill a mosquito. We have to educate them on what differentiates the hobby from their perceptions. It can be done. Case in point: Small business owner embroiled in IRS case where vendor scammed them and other small businesses to the tune of millions of dollars by failing to file and pay taxes due to the IRS. IRS swooped in and treated the business like the criminals by threatening them with liens, penalties, etc. even though all of them had remitted funds to the vendor to file and pay the appropriate tax. The group, as a whole, decided to fight the tactics and the result by using the U.S Congressman and Senator for their state and districts as well as the taxpayer advocates office of the IRS. Net result; IRS stopped harassment and started looking through the eyes of the victims who were already out millions of dollars. Result is scammer is going to jail and IRS is working with the victims to clear any tax liability. Don't tell us it can't be done, because it can. It will take everyone of us to make this regulation acceptable. Do we have to change; Yes! Do we have to accept change without appropriate due diligence, conversation and negotiation? NO! This is the type of issue that Senators and Reps love because it gives them an chance to look good to their constituents. So please, do not be so cynical and help all of us make are comments to the FAA. It can be modified to a workable solution and in my mind, at least, it will be. Please help.
Another riding their Unicorn on their Rainbow Highway to Fairytale Land
Justwantafly is offline Find More Posts by Justwantafly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-09-2020, 01:17 PM
Joined Jan 2018
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxcoupe View Post
Freedom is free! If you can't risk anything then you'll do what your overlords tell you and shut up about it.

I have certifications and a job at risk also. I will continue to fly as I fly now. In a safe manner. I will not put a transponder in any of my model aircraft.

The FAA isn't concerned with what we put in the comments section. They are paying as much attention to the guy types the f word over and over as your "thoughtful and coherent" comment
+1
Old 02-09-2020, 08:04 PM
Find More Posts by B N Kontrol
United States, TX, Ben Wheeler
Joined Jan 2011
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B N Kontrol View Post
Good info! This video is a bit long for the hobby guy that is trying to figure out what is going on. The most important part, for me, starts very close to the end at about 43:40. But, the whole video is worth the time investment.
I went through this video again, pay attention to the statement about fix ID areas, it starts about 22:40. It seems that 12 months after the rule goes into affect the FAA will not, by rule, approve new fixed ID Areas for model flights. So, if a year or two down the road your club looses its site you can not develop and register another field.
B N Kontrol is offline Find More Posts by B N Kontrol
Old 02-09-2020, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B N Kontrol View Post
I went through this video again, pay attention to the statement about fix ID areas, it starts about 22:40. It seems that 12 months after the rule goes into affect the FAA will not, by rule, approve new fixed ID Areas for model flights. So, if a year or two down the road your club looses its site you can not develop and register another field.
That is very clearly stated in the NPRM. It is very disconcerting.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 02-09-2020, 09:44 PM
Find More Posts by ww2collector
AMA 72859...I miss you, Dad!
United States, NJ, Stewartsville
Joined Jan 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
That is very clearly stated in the NPRM. It is very disconcerting.

If passed, it will absolutely lead to the extinction of R/C model aviation. I think the FAA is ultimately looking to restrict the 0-400ft airspace to commercial drones. As the technology is created to accomplish this obvious goal, we as recreational modelers will lose.
ww2collector is offline Find More Posts by ww2collector
Old 02-10-2020, 06:46 AM
Find More Posts by ohiobowhunter
ATWATER,OHIO
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
I blame the AMA for not pushing back harder to have this apply to the drones and not general hobby aviation ( planes and helicopters) they have cut their own throats! Who will be left to financially support their existing? They will be gone along with us.
ohiobowhunter is offline Find More Posts by ohiobowhunter
Old 02-10-2020, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by ww2collector
AMA 72859...I miss you, Dad!
United States, NJ, Stewartsville
Joined Jan 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobowhunter View Post
I blame the AMA for not pushing back harder to have this apply to the drones and not general hobby aviation ( planes and helicopters) they have cut their own throats! Who will be left to financially support their existing? They will be gone along with us.

That's because they are trying to attract drone fliers into joining the AMA. They are not doing a very good job of marketing! Out of curiosity, I've watched a few drone races on TV. I don't recall seeing AMA sponsorship or advertising on any of those shows. They should team up with Amazon and put a mailer in every box that contains a newly purchased drone.

There are 195,000 active AMA members and only a little over 5% have posted to the FAA website. I posted the link to both the AMA letter template and the FAA discussion board on my blog here and on RCGroups. As of this morning 1700 views. I hope posting the links encouraged members to respond.
ww2collector is offline Find More Posts by ww2collector
Last edited by ww2collector; 02-10-2020 at 09:34 AM. Reason: add
Old 02-10-2020, 02:03 PM
Find More Posts by rcer18901
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Jul 2007
13 Posts
If there are that many AMA members there should be 195,000 plus comments on the FAA website. Just goes to show how many people think nothing is going to happen. Just MHO.
rcer18901 is offline Find More Posts by rcer18901
Old 02-10-2020, 04:48 PM
Find More Posts by lrb75
United States, VA, Springfield
Joined Aug 2010
85 Posts
I believe the fine print says duplicate responses are not counted. So not sure cutting and pasting AMAs recommended words is going to change the response count.
lrb75 is offline Find More Posts by lrb75
Old 02-10-2020, 08:03 PM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
I realize many of the comments on here are well intentioned. They may also be accurate.
I have read many comments and made a couple of my own and I am saddened by a few here that
throw hopeless doom and absolute gloom on these threads. I'm also disappointed in some of the
letters written on behalf of our hobbyists to the FAA etc. We'll get nowhere with these totally
negative approaches. Yes, it looks like a daunting task and a tough climb, but a few of you have already laid down and died, (except for your two pinkies on the keyboard).
Caustic comments will win nobody and it seems rather a waste of time and effort to get on here
and throw stink all over the place. Please find more constructive endeavors to pass your time.
Lets do better and be the adults here.
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Old 02-10-2020, 10:09 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
5,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super rookie View Post
Lets do better and be the adults here.
Never dealt personally with the FAA huh????

Do not cast stones against those of us who have actual experience with this Federal Government agency that has increasingly encapsulated itself with the swamp, and if you haven't learned anything, or you are a diehard Democrat, you will never understand the motives behind these proposed actions.

You could move to Virginia and let the State confiscate your guns, which would all be justified by complying with the public good.....

Do not confuse this altercation as a discussion, it's a war.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 02-10-2020, 10:37 PM
Joined Jan 2018
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Never dealt personally with the FAA huh????

Do not cast stones against those of us who have actual experience with this Federal Government agency that has increasingly encapsulated itself with the swamp, and if you haven't learned anything, or you are a diehard Democrat, you will never understand the motives behind these proposed actions.

You could move to Virginia and let the State confiscate your guns, which would all be justified by complying with the public good.....

Man you hit the Nail on the Head.......the Swamp got thick I mean real thick in the last 20 years.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:34 PM
Find More Posts by lxcoupe
Welcome to Costco. I love you.
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2006
4,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post

It's a war for us. The FAA is just going through the motions and checking boxes.
lxcoupe is offline Find More Posts by lxcoupe
Old 02-11-2020, 06:52 AM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
My bad, I mistook this thread for mostly people who were seeking ways to work on the problem.
At least it began that way,
but apparently there are some who just wanna bitch and moan. Its sad.....moving on
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Last edited by super rookie; 02-11-2020 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:46 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
What is even more sad is how many comments on the NPRM at regulations.gov are pretty much the same p!$$!ng and moaning. The FAA ignores those types of comments and those comments make us look like spoiled children.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge

Quick Reply