logo
Old 08-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts
Re: OMP Yak 55

I havnt had enough practice IMAC wise with mine, Currently I am having CG issues due to I have a heavy OLD 3w on the front. The engine performs great, but with the engine weighing around 8lbs. More than a Zenoah GT80 it is hard to get it flying right. It 3Ds very well. I am saving up money for a DA100L to put on this bird. I have practice Unlimited sequence with the plane and it is able to do it and has potental to win.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Find More Posts by Karl540
United States, AL, Prattville
Joined Feb 2007
177 Posts

How do you think it would perform and weigh out with the new DL111 on it with stock exhaust?
Karl540 is offline Find More Posts by Karl540
Old 08-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Find More Posts by Salmon
Dayton OH
Joined Jun 2006
668 Posts

I'm running mine with an older DA100 and stock mufflers in the nose and rudder servos in the optional tail location (nice touch!) and A123 batteries mounted on the back of the radio tray. No additional weight added and AUW slightly over 26 lbs. Performance is outstanding in both IMAC and 3D. The DL111 with stock mufflers should be equally as impressive if not even more.
Salmon is offline Find More Posts by Salmon
Last edited by Salmon; 08-25-2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 08-26-2009, 12:09 AM
Find More Posts by YogoBlue
Joined Dec 2008
24 Posts

We will find out on Saturday! The 100 and 111 are prob the same weight. Hes going with the Smartfly power system and a few fromecos so we will see what it comes out at tomorrow weight wise after electronics go in.

I am not too sure about the tail wheel get up, but we will see how it holds up. ARF supplied 18 wooden washers and we used 20 total to get that DL spaced out another half inch or so from cowl. Just make sure you dremel out tri stock under engine box because thats where the lower mount bolts come through firewall.

All in all still impressed with design and quality. We opted to rustoleum the firewall and engine box black as well as inside the cowl so build is dragged out a bit but should be finished tomorrow and I can get some pics.

Boy that cowel swallows up everything!!!!!!!! lol
YogoBlue is offline Find More Posts by YogoBlue
Last edited by YogoBlue; 08-26-2009 at 12:10 AM. Reason: addition
Old 08-26-2009, 12:11 AM
Joined Dec 2008
24 Posts

Sol,
So you have the one thats pictured on the box? I asked because stickers give it away? That was the original model?
Old 08-26-2009, 06:56 AM
Dayton OH
Joined Jun 2006
668 Posts

Good luck YogoBlue! I soaked the wood washers in thin CA to harden them up somewhat when I mounted the motor. I like your idea of using the black rustoeum paint on the engine box. I had done that years ago on a scratch built 35% Edge and it worked out nice. The engine boxes on the OMP ARFs are painted with a clear epoxy coating though so they are already fuel proof. The pictures used for advertisement and on the box are from the prototype which I designed. I did the custom graphics on that one as well. I'm flying a production one now which has the same set of custom graphics on it. It's my favorite plane......well this one and my 67" Fusion!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Joined Dec 2008
24 Posts

Well,
I have to say the honeymoon ended quickly around here. We found a few smaller issues that are not a big deal just quality issues. One total show stopper and its not the fact that it happened , its the fact that I emailed John originally about the missing template and he replied promptly the next day. As of last Sunday I noticed an aileron hinge turned sideways and glued in. You all know what happens when one is turned on its side. I again emailed John cordially and have yet to to receive a response in a week.

I thought I was doing a good thing on reporting status to everyone up here to avoid pitfalls etc, the ARF is decent and thoughtfully designed but in reality if there is no support to a deffective construction process I would rather put my money elsewhere. I think a week is ample time to respond to 2 emails that went to omp@ohiomodelplanes.

I also cant report on flights etc because we cant fly it like that. Its binding the aileron from full deflection so here we sit on our thumbs on a nice Saturday AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Joined Feb 2007
177 Posts

Have you heard anything back yet? Cant you just remove the hinge and reposition it?
Old 08-29-2009, 11:54 PM
Joined Dec 2008
24 Posts

Last edited by YogoBlue; 08-29-2009 at 11:59 PM. Reason: double posting
Old 08-29-2009, 11:57 PM
Joined Dec 2008
24 Posts

Karl,
No nothing yet. I have been modeling for close to 20 years now and I can safely say I know of no way to get a robart style hinge out of the ailerons when they are all glued in. Other than cutting the knuckle so it doesnt bind but then you open up a flutter issue. There is no way to get the Aileron off the wing. We have thought about flying it like that just to get the maiden out of the way but risking 3K over a nickels worth of hinge doesnt seem worth it. I guess we wait.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogoBlue View Post
Karl,
No nothing yet. I have been modeling for close to 20 years now and I can safely say I know of no way to get a robart style hinge out of the ailerons when they are all glued in. Other than cutting the knuckle so it doesnt bind, I have no idea. There is no way to get the Aileron off the wing.

Actually you can completely remove the hinge. Using a brass tube and a drill...just do a search for removing hinges for a detailed explanation. I have done it before and it works great. Quick and painless. (you would have to remove all of them and rehinge the whole aileron of course)
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker
Old 08-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Joined Dec 2008
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker View Post
Actually you can completely remove the hinge. Using a brass tube and a drill...just do a search for removing hinges for a detailed explanation. I have done it before and it works great. Quick and painless. (you would have to remove all of them and rehinge the whole aileron of course)

Ok 2 things on that, first is obvious, should we have to do that to a new 1k airframe ARF? Secondly as you pointed out, all of them would have to come out, so I assume they all would have to be cut first then removed half by half. Sounds like a lot of fun someone shouldnt have to go through with a pre hinged and glued arf. Again as I said I know of no way of removing just one.

It was less a post about a building challenge and more to the point of a pain in the arse to have go through.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Joined Feb 2007
177 Posts

I agree that you shouldnt have to but if you are that close and cant get a reply yhen what else is there to do ?
Old 08-31-2009, 06:57 AM
Dayton OH
Joined Jun 2006
668 Posts

YogoBlue, my apologies! John did pass me your email message and ask me to correspond with you on Friday however I was gone all weekend and could not get back to you. So hopefully I can jump in here Monday morning and help find a quick resolution.

I agree with what you are saying that it would be hard to remove one hinge without removing them all first. Off the top of my head I can't think of an easy way to fix this one short of replacing all the hinges. Wish I had some miracle cure! Maybe someone else does????? Otherwise it sounds like we just need to exchange the wing panels for you. I can replace those hinges myself back here at OMP and save that wing for a spare! I'm sorry this happened and it it the first case of a bad hinge install I've seen. If you agree we'll go ahead and send you a replacement wing.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:59 PM
Joined Dec 2008
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon View Post
YogoBlue, my apologies! John did pass me your email message and ask me to correspond with you on Friday however I was gone all weekend and could not get back to you. So hopefully I can jump in here Monday morning and help find a quick resolution.

I agree with what you are saying that it would be hard to remove one hinge without removing them all first. Off the top of my head I can't think of an easy way to fix this one short of replacing all the hinges. Wish I had some miracle cure! Maybe someone else does????? Otherwise it sounds like we just need to exchange the wing panels for you. I can replace those hinges myself back here at OMP and save that wing for a spare! I'm sorry this happened and it it the first case of a bad hinge install I've seen. If you agree we'll go ahead and send you a replacement wing.
PM sent with details, I am hoping we can have a solution by next weekend. I bet you could feel that one coming.
Last edited by YogoBlue; 08-31-2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: additions

Quick Reply