logo
Old 03-28-2017, 01:30 PM
Find More Posts by Nikolei Zinsli
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Apr 2008
459 Posts
Without. The measurements on the site will be updated to be more accurate once we get the demo model together, so what you see there now will change.
Nikolei Zinsli is offline Find More Posts by Nikolei Zinsli
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-28-2017, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Going back to work on the front of the plane now that wings are done. I had everything lined up and since my engine install was kinda non-typical I skipped right over the engine hardware bag!!

It's nice that they actually include engine bolts, washers, nylock nuts etc. but they also include engine spacers which are pretty awesome. Being a picky bastard I calipered them and found that they are 5mm, 10mm and 15mm respectively (and within .0X mm of each other I may add).

There is also screws for the bottom vents and a variety of screws and hardware for pipe / canister mounts, engine box top hatch, etc.

Oh, and my new canisters showed up....Just in time!!! These are smaller dia. and a hair longer and will fit this plane better than the giant one's I had from another plane.
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Old 03-29-2017, 11:26 AM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Cans are installed, slight mod to one of the bottom vents to allow for rear camister exit then vents were installed with supplied screws.

One thing I did was install a sheet of creative foam at the end of the last vent in the belley. It does not weigh anything so I made a curve to guide the last of the air out and not pressurise the remainder of the tunnel.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by madinpensacola
New plane junkie
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jun 2014
2,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryscustom View Post
Cans are installed, slight mod to one of the bottom vents to allow for rear camister exit then vents were installed with supplied screws.

One thing I did was install a sheet of creative foam at the end of the last vent in the belley. It does not weigh anything so I made a curve to guide the last of the air out and not pressurise the remainder of the tunnel.
No extended motor box you decided? Can't see it so assume not used.
madinpensacola is offline Find More Posts by madinpensacola
Old 03-29-2017, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by VinceY
That guy
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Feb 2006
734 Posts
It's there. Terry's mods look like they left the factory that way.
VinceY is offline Find More Posts by VinceY
Old 03-29-2017, 12:08 PM
Find More Posts by madinpensacola
New plane junkie
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jun 2014
2,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceY View Post
Damn. I see it now. He's a witch!
madinpensacola is offline Find More Posts by madinpensacola
Old 03-29-2017, 12:20 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by madinpensacola View Post
Damn. I see it now. He's a witch!
Thanks guys, I wanted to leave a gap for the rear carb drip at prime / start otherwise it would be blocked off at the bottom so you couldn't tell.

On this note it's a good time to re-state that this plane will balance just fine with the larger twin engine on the stock firewall and just use the 115" plane cowl. Everything on my setup is much lighter than most people will run in a 40% plane and this was 100% just my choice cosmetically and for balance with my setup. I would never recommend anybody trying to do this mod.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:09 PM
Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
United States, MD, Parkton
Joined Jun 2008
1,508 Posts
Canister Mounting Brackets

Hi Terry, could you show us a picture of the canisters mounted in the tunnel from the bottom of the plane. Also what the brackets look like.
Thanks, Steve
PS, Mine was ordered Thursday last week, shipped this Monday and arrived today.
Pretty good service, I'd say.
Flybye Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flybye Steve
Old 03-29-2017, 03:25 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybye Steve View Post
Hi Terry, could you show us a picture of the canisters mounted in the tunnel from the bottom of the plane. Also what the brackets look like.
Thanks, Steve
PS, Mine was ordered Thursday last week, shipped this Monday and arrived today.
Pretty good service, I'd say.
I decided not to show that to avoid confusion. I did not use the included canister mounts because my cans are a little different than others. These are custom made specifically for this particular engine. Actually one step further is that they are custom made for this engine to be installed in an H-9 Sukhoi. I am testing for the people that sell them to see how they install in this particular plane for future reference. It is truly a special system designed to work together.

There are three sets of mounting tabs inside the can tunnel and hardware included to mount the included canister / pipe mounts. The mounts fit in perfectly and your setup will be a breeze with everything included.

Picture attached is actually all six can mounts stacked together as a reference picture. You can see a mounting tab in the distance down the tunnel.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:51 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Rudder installed today, came out really nice. I wanted to show what I did because you do have to glue the hinges in and not everyone has done the flat hinges. They need to come loose because the 115" plane rudder that is included in the box was built with the fuse, the 123" rudders are built separate so you need to match them to the plane when you glue them in.

You will need to steal the rudder hinge wire from the smaller rudder. Start by giving the flat hinges a light sanding and clean them up good with some denatured alcohol. The easiest way to set them up is to insert the wire from the bottom and install one hinge at a time. Once they are in stop the wire at the top of the stab so you can install the rudder onto the hinges. Mine was very close, I had to wiggle a little on two of the slots, they were maybe 1/32" off so didn't even need a knife.

Once you have it test fit and are happy, prepare some epoxy in a syringe. Put some in the slot and you can use a Popsicle stick (or my choice Starbucks sticks) to kind smear it around in the hinge slot. Then apply a very thin layer of epoxy to the hinge itself. Install and then use a rag with alcohol to clean off the hinges of any squeeze out. Be careful not to make a huge mess with excess on the hinge itself. If you are unsure of getting it done neatly you may want to put some Vaseline on the hinge knuckles.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:56 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Next up I dis-assembled my new Taildragger fuel tank and did my standard Viton upgrade inside. These tanks are sold under several names. I prefer the actual Taildragger one's myself because he specifies the best quality fittings on the top that the factory offers. I have had a couple of the chrome plated fittings leak but never the brass fittings. The brass fittings also have sharper barbs so they hold the fuel tube just a bit better.

Lastly I installed the rest of my wiring and am ready for throttle, choke and ignition will follow soon!.

I'm building a couple Viper planes when I did this video but I'll post a video of my tank mod, it's the heart of your plane so take your time and set it up well. Lots of people have already seen this video but for those that have not:

Pre Assembled fuel tanks, checkup and mod (15 min 59 sec)
Last edited by terryscustom; 03-30-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:56 AM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
I'm going to be working with B&E graphics to get some nice artwork for the plane. He always does an amazing job and really helps support a lot of events. He does the graphics for all my one-off airplane projects as well.

http://www.bandegraphix.com/packages...-230-reflex-1/
Old 03-30-2017, 09:26 AM
Find More Posts by Oilfield USA
United States, NM, Roswell
Joined Jun 2014
139 Posts
Terry how do you like the MKS servo arms? Are they indexed for the related servos?
Oilfield USA is offline Find More Posts by Oilfield USA
Old 03-30-2017, 10:24 AM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfield USA View Post
Terry how do you like the MKS servo arms? Are they indexed for the related servos?
These are pretty nice, they fit anything with a Futaba spline. Beautifully machined they lined up nicely perpendicular on the MKS servos but I have not tried them on other brand servos. For versatility I like the unihub style one's like I used on the ailerons but many times that just reference for the task. I'll PM you a little video I did showing the arms in more detail.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:28 AM
Find More Posts by Oilfield USA
United States, NM, Roswell
Joined Jun 2014
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryscustom View Post
These are pretty nice, they fit anything with a Futaba spline. Beautifully machined they lined up nicely perpendicular on the MKS servos but I have not tried them on other brand servos. For versatility I like the unihub style one's like I used on the ailerons but many times that just reference for the task. I'll PM you a little video I did showing the arms in more detail.
Thankyou
Oilfield USA is offline Find More Posts by Oilfield USA

Quick Reply