logo
This thread is privately moderated by CSpaced, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Find More Posts by CSpaced
Joined Jul 2006
4,903 Posts
Switched my Edge to 2.4

Well I've been waiting for an excuse to try out 2.4 on my airplanes and with the introduction of a second flight line at Joe Nall this year I now have my excuse .

I picked up the Spektrum module and AR9000 receiver for my 9303, and an additional remote receiver. I tucked one remote receiver way back in the tail of my 33% Edge, and the other remote receiver up on a mast that reaches straight up into the cockpit area.

The first thing I noticed, and the only complaint I have, is that I have to be real careful about laying the transmitter down with the Spektrum module in the back, as it sits on the antenna connector instead of the transmitter handle. My friends 10x doesn't seem to have this problem with the same setup as the handle sticks out further. I bound the receivers and set up my failsafe, and I made sure that my optical kill switch still performed the way it should. In fact it didn't perform at all when I first set it up. After much head scratching I realized that I had to do a "smart bind" to make it work.

Out at the field I range tested it, with and without the engine running. I literally ran to the opposite end of the field with the little button pressed down to see if there was any sign of a glitch. There were no problems. So with buttocks clenched I took to the skies, hoping I would see my baby on the ground again in one piece. It flew great, and after a succesful flight I brought her back down to the ground safely. Since then I've put a gallon of gas through this setup and its locked in solid.

I know several people who fly Spektrum, all without problems. I'm not sure what I was so worried about, I knew it would work, but there was just something about switching from something known and proven to something new and exciting that got the nerves going...
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by stinger312
Lower!Lower!!..not that low...
United States, MA, Bourne
Joined Nov 2007
193 Posts
How about a Madison (or similar) transmitter stand for around $12.95 . That should help ....It also makes it safer when an inadvertent fall could send your engine to WOT !?! Ouch....I feel in time we will all feel more comfortable with 2.4 in even our largest planes and maybe not be teased by all the older guys at the field that our antennas are broke(en)......
stinger312 is offline Find More Posts by stinger312
Old 02-26-2008, 01:41 PM
Joined Jul 2006
4,903 Posts
Thanks for that, I knew about the transmitter stand but couldn't remember who made it. Nice one!
Old 02-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Find More Posts by neptunus 62
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Feb 2008
21 Posts
CRIS WHAT'S A SMART BIND.DOE'S IT HAVE A SPECIFIC USE WHEN SETTING UP THE SPECKTRUM.I HAVE JUST INTSALLED MINE AND HAVE NOT HEARD OF A SMART BIND THANKS ALAN
neptunus 62 is offline Find More Posts by neptunus 62
Old 02-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Joined Jul 2006
4,903 Posts
Alan,

You should be able to find the instructions in the manual but here is what I did.

Normal Bind:
I plugged in the bind plug and switched on the receiver and saw all the lights blink. I then turned on my transmitter and waited for the lights to go solid. Once I had control I powered off the receiver and unplugged the bind plug.

Smart Bind:
I plugged in the bind plug and powered on the receiver and saw all the lights start flashing. I then unplugged the bind plug before turning on the transmitter. Then I turned on the transmitter and waited a few seconds for them to bind and powered off the recevier.

Doing a smart bind was the only way I could get my Smartfly optical ignition kill to default to being off if the transmitter was turned off.

Hope that helps!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Find More Posts by neptunus 62
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Feb 2008
21 Posts
THANKS

OK I FOUND IT I N THE MAN THANKS VERY NICE OF U TO EXPLAIN...ALAN
neptunus 62 is offline Find More Posts by neptunus 62