logo
Old 05-26-2014, 05:10 PM
Find More Posts by Low'nSlow
United States, GA, Athens
Joined Sep 2008
11 Posts
Discussion
Traveling hobby shop

Hey everyone. If you were to carry a trailer full of stuff to sell at smaller events (fun flys) what would you bring? Not looking to make tons but enjoy traveling to different clubs and I have a small shop set up to fund my addiction. What would you buy from a mobile shop?
Servo arms, motors, extensions, servos, maybe have enough room to bring in airplanes but I don't stock them at the moment.

Thanks for the help.
Low'nSlow is offline Find More Posts by Low'nSlow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-26-2014, 05:18 PM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Apr 2009
2,007 Posts
Atlanta Hobby is on my way to the field so I wouldn't be much help funding your addiction. Great idea though.

David
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old 05-26-2014, 05:49 PM
Joined Sep 2008
11 Posts
Must be nice having a stocked shop on the way. Figured best way to start was to carry everything I use to fly as this is what I will eventually use if no one else will. Hard to compete price wise with a huge online shop. Haven't found a way to make a small hobby shop profitable enough to be my only job and I don't want a huge operation. One day I'll be able to produce some of my own designs.

Adam
Grumpy's RC
Old 05-26-2014, 06:37 PM
Find More Posts by stingray528i
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Nov 2010
811 Posts
if I was to do that I would have a ready to fly trainer so a spectator at the event gets excited at what he sees could buy a plane ready to go and there would be plenty of qualified instructors around.
stingray528i is offline Find More Posts by stingray528i
Old 05-26-2014, 07:37 PM
Joined Sep 2008
11 Posts
Would you go with a standard 40 size glow setup? Or something more like a small electric trainer. I fly 50cc 3D stuff and small foamies but I get where your going with the trainer setup.

Adam
Old 05-26-2014, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by CatalinaWOW
United States, OR, Eagle Point
Joined Oct 2009
1,137 Posts
I have seen this done. Wheel collars and CA seem to be top sellers, along with gas engines. Servo leads and other items seem to go also. The gas engines seem to be an item that people are on the verge of buying, and being at an event pushes them over the edge. I would recommend small electric trainers, including several of the tamer foamies.
CatalinaWOW is offline Find More Posts by CatalinaWOW
Old 05-28-2014, 10:56 AM
Find More Posts by Hoverlow44
Braap pap *shuts off. Damn it.
Joined Mar 2014
286 Posts
You can also stock 2 Cycle oil, like redline and Stihl....

Also, consider putting together a 100cc plane with good components and i bet it'll eventually sell.
Hoverlow44 is offline Find More Posts by Hoverlow44
Old 05-28-2014, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,390 Posts
Props....tail wheels....main wheels......balsa for a field repair.....are just some of the things that ive had fail at the field and didnt have another so had to call it a day.....really sucked wasteing a good flying day because of a dollar part....but its part of it i guess
ponyboy082662 is online now Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 05-28-2014, 11:12 AM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts
Just double check there isn't already a business in your area. I know in the Ohio/PA area there is Luke's RC who brings a whole shop with them everywhere! It rules!
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 05-28-2014, 11:13 AM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts
If the area is open, carry a lot of small RTF planes. They sell like hotcakes! Lake at the venue? Carry float planes. And then all the normal "need" stuff.
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 05-29-2014, 07:34 AM
Find More Posts by Battle Short
Flyin' Around
United States, NM, Artesia
Joined May 2014
30 Posts
Around here the small foam delta planes used for full contact combat are popular. If these are popular in your area then maybe carry some fan fold foam, micro servos and some 8-10 amp power systems and keep a small stock of the planes built up to the receiver ready stage. If they aren't popular in your area then maybe make some, give a couple to your friends and fly combat with them-it's addictive!
Battle Short is offline Find More Posts by Battle Short
Old 05-29-2014, 07:44 AM
Find More Posts by Fenderbean
United States, TX, Harker Heights
Joined Nov 2010
498 Posts
Dreamworksrc does this, I am planning to start a hobby shop myself when I retire from the Army. Some things have come up that prompted me to start before that and I was considering doing something like till I get established some place for good. That being said it will probably be hard for me since most vendors require you to have a store front and a certain amount of sales before they will let you carry their products. Horizon is crazy about this, but sounds like your already established so shouldnt be a problem. I knew someone who did this and they carried basic field repairs items, fuel, now I would say batteries LOL field type equipment for fueling, Props, Glow plugs, Fuel line, small hardware, tools of the trade. Things are harder now since not many people build as much with ARFs being so better.
Fenderbean is offline Find More Posts by Fenderbean
Old 05-29-2014, 09:55 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,055 Posts
horizon requires a store front and a minimum purchase amount to begin the account, and they can and will cut you off if you are in violation of your agreeement. there used to be a number of guys that did this - before the internet. if I want connectors or other stuff, they are only a few keyboard strokes away from legitimate sellers. with the price of purchasing a trailer, inventory, and travel costs, I can't see this kind of business as generating any significant income.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 05-29-2014, 12:33 PM
Joined Sep 2008
11 Posts
Thanks for the input guys!
I like the idea of keeping multiple foamie combat planes, wouldn't take much space and would be fun. I dont expect this to bring in a main source of income, but more of a way to off set the cost of traveling to further events. Now I just need a bigger trailer!
Old 05-29-2014, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by CatalinaWOW
United States, OR, Eagle Point
Joined Oct 2009
1,137 Posts
Doubt if anyone even breaks even doing this, but the ones I know are at least advertising their storefront/web businesses. Hard to figure the payoff on that, but as long as you are doing it because you want to, and not because you need to eat tomorrow it is all good.
CatalinaWOW is offline Find More Posts by CatalinaWOW

Quick Reply