logo
Old 05-13-2018, 02:37 AM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
3,095 Posts
cub

its just a cub but when you fly a 14lb. busa one and the 22 lb aeroworks its like wow the aeroworks is a turd.. now this one weighs 30 and only has 10in more wing. most guys will buy and love it and never know the difference because they dont know any better.
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-13-2018, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2walla View Post
its just a cub but when you fly a 14lb. busa one and the 22 lb aeroworks its like wow the aeroworks is a turd.. now this one weighs 30 and only has 10in more wing. most guys will buy and love it and never know the difference because they dont know any better.
+1

We're talking weights in the heavy warbird range here. With the same engine sizes guys complain if their 3D plane gets much over 17 -18 pounds. CUB guys like to go vertical too from time to time ..... not everybody flies a CUB in big lazy circles all the time. I'm just hoping the published weight is incorrect.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 05-13-2018, 07:18 PM
Find More Posts by Dave Levett
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jan 2008
227 Posts
Phenomenal plane.
This alongside the EF Turbo Bushmaster will be awesome.
I missed out on getting a AW 50cc Sport Cub before they closed shop , and regretted it.
This fits the bill nicely.

Dave
Dave Levett is offline Find More Posts by Dave Levett
Old 05-14-2018, 11:53 PM
BAS
Find More Posts by BAS
BAS
ALTOONA , IOWA
Joined Jan 2006
891 Posts
Sure would be nice if they cut the music on these videos and would be able to hear a gaser up front, besides a Evolution gas , like a DLE twin for example.
BAS is offline Find More Posts by BAS
Old 05-15-2018, 05:08 AM
Find More Posts by 74Ranch
United States, VA, Midlothian
Joined Sep 2013
442 Posts
I would like to see the manual, and also the width of the cowl.
74Ranch is offline Find More Posts by 74Ranch
Old 05-15-2018, 09:31 AM
Find More Posts by Ali Machinchy
Ali Machinchy: Snr PD Hangar 9
Joined Jan 2016
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Ranch View Post
I would like to see the manual, and also the width of the cowl.
The manual is currently under development. We had a delay due to two H9 products being released near the same time. I have a feeling it will be a few weeks till we see a completed manual for either. Sorry.

The cowling is 10.5" wide ( External ) Just the right size for a Saito 61 twin to fit. I already took liberties with the shape of the cowling from scale .... These full size guys never think of us modelers when they are designing a cowling My main goal was for the Evolution 62 and the Saito twin to fit without having to cut the cowling for the cylinders.
If this Cub is anything like the previous carbon Cub that I developed? I am sure we will see a host of different power systems fitted?

Regards Ali

Senior Product Developer Hangar 9
Ali Machinchy is offline Find More Posts by Ali Machinchy
Old 05-15-2018, 09:36 AM
Joined Jan 2016
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
+1

We're talking weights in the heavy warbird range here. With the same engine sizes guys complain if their 3D plane gets much over 17 -18 pounds. CUB guys like to go vertical too from time to time ..... not everybody flies a CUB in big lazy circles all the time. I'm just hoping the published weight is incorrect.
Wow. A 116" Span warbird at 27 lbs? Tell me more?

It was never our intention to produce a "Hemple" style 3D capable Cub. However. If you watch the product video, you can see that the plane will prop hang, as well as perform a host of scale and very non scale aerobatics. Vertical performance is healthy on either elec or gas ( Evo 62) While it is no feather, it has a great sit and feel in the air. More akin to what I imagine it feels like to fly a full scale Cub. Which is exactly what we aimed for. This is a scale replica of the Cub Crafters XCub.

Regards Ali

Old 05-15-2018, 09:45 AM
Joined Jan 2016
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by futile flight View Post
does the RC world really need another cub and one at 900 bucs ?

dont get me wrong it's a cool plane its just been done over and over again plus I don't really like buying a special cub only for it to be discontinued with the next two years. were I will never be able to get a cowl or parts again
I am not sure about need. But it certainly seems to "want"
Our 15cc carbon Cub was our second most successful product in the past 5 years. So while I hear allot of people commenting the usual "Boring Cub" comments. I also see a bunch of people going out and buying them and flying them. The various threads on Cubs that are really healthy as far as page count and content suggests that there is a decent amount of people who are still loving their Cub's. Jst because its not your "cup of tea" ( Sorry, thats the Englishman in me coming through. Does not necessarily mean that its a bad thing. Different strokes I guess. The good news is. We at H9 are increasing the number of releases to try and cover as many different facets of the RC flying hobby as possible.

Ref the Discontinued comment. I have written a ton about this recently. I am sure you dont want to read it all over again? The simple fact is.. As long as we can get the product ( A lot.... and I mean A LOT of ARTF Factories have closed down in the past few years) and as long as people are buying them. It makes no sense for us to discontinue it.
We actually have one of our products ( Its actually a Cub ) That has been selling for over 12 years to date !

Regards Ali

Old 05-15-2018, 09:48 AM
Joined Jan 2016
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Cartmell View Post
Floats???
Sorry. No float option for this one as of now. We may look at re visiting the float thing at a later date? I am pretty sure that someone with some building skill will adapt a set of floats to work? I hope they do and I hope they share photos? I would love to see the X on a set of floats.

Regards Ali

Old 05-15-2018, 09:52 AM
Joined Jan 2016
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tec View Post
No other Cub has an led lighting system, tow-release mechanism, 7" Sullivan wheels or multiple engine mounts as standard equipment. I'm sure this airplane will be very popular and around for years to come.
or...
Super heavy duty, machine Aluminum tail wheel.
Scale, concealed double pin door locking mechanism
Scale spinner included
8 x Pre painted fiberglass aerodynamic fairings for Wing struts and undercarriage
Quick removable antenna
quad magnet top hatch for easy access

Thanks Brian. I hope this one is popular too. I am really proud of how its worked out so far.

Regards Ali

Old 05-15-2018, 10:20 AM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Machinchy View Post
Wow. A 116" Span warbird at 27 lbs? Tell me more?

It was never our intention to produce a "Hemple" style 3D capable Cub. However. If you watch the product video, you can see that the plane will prop hang, as well as perform a host of scale and very non scale aerobatics. Vertical performance is healthy on either elec or gas ( Evo 62) While it is no feather, it has a great sit and feel in the air. More akin to what I imagine it feels like to fly a full scale Cub. Which is exactly what we aimed for. This is a scale replica of the Cub Crafters XCub.

Regards Ali

No reference was made to wing span in my posts. My only concern was p/w ratio which puts it in warbird territory as my post noted.

My guess is this new CUB will have a p/w similar to a true 1/4 scale CUB in the 15 pound range powered with something like a Saito 150. Adequate power but certainly not overpowered by any means. If the goal is scale like performance plus a bit, the goal will have been met. I was just disappointed when I read the weight spec.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 05-15-2018, 10:28 AM
Joined Jan 2016
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
No reference was made to wing span in my posts. My only concern was p/w ratio which puts it in warbird territory as my post noted.

My guess is this new CUB will have a p/w similar to a true 1/4 scale CUB in the 15 pound range powered with something like a Saito 150. Adequate power but certainly not overpowered by any means. If the goal is scale like performance plus a bit, the goal will have been met. I was just disappointed when I read the weight spec.
No worries Truckracer. I just wanted to put the weight into context. You mentioned heavy war bird weights. I dont think its fair to mention weights without bringing wingspan and scale into the mix. Looking at War birds of either 1/4-1/3rd scale. Or having a wingspan of 116" the Xcub seems super light to me. That's before we start looking at wing area and loading. The P to W of the X cub on either of the recommended power systems is healthy, The Video shows some pretty extreme short take offs. Even with no wind and its heaviest config of Sprung gear/ PR bush wheels and pilot. I even do a bit of prop hanging with it on the deck at one point.. Not sure what else people might want from a Cub?

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...=228918&page=3
Old 05-15-2018, 10:45 AM
Joined Jan 2016
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2walla View Post
I am not sure if the balsa usa cub reference is fair?
The 1/4 Scale cub from BUSA is a fair amount smaller. The 1/4 scale cub that you used as a comparison is 68" Long. Our X Cub is 82" long. Span on the BUSA one is 108" Compared to the XCubs 116" ( Not forgetting that the BUSA cub has a higher aspect ratio wing.

I personally think that the Xcub is a closer comparison to the BUSA 1/3rd scale cub. That one has a fuselage length of 88" For which the All up weight is listed as 30-35 lbs. In my opinion that is a more accurate comparison?
All of this is a bit like comparing the full scale cubs? Tyhey chare the same name, but that is about where the similarity ends. A stock J3 weights in at 765lbs empty. The XCub is 1216lbs . With the X Cub being longer in fuselage length, but shorter in span.

Regards Ali Machinchy
Senior Product developer Hangar 9
Old 05-15-2018, 11:30 AM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
Thank you for posting all these replies Ali!

I think it looks like a winner, I may even trade in some of my 1/4 scales to fit this new Cub into the hangar
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Old 05-15-2018, 01:28 PM
Joined Jan 2016
412 Posts
Super scale Instrument Panel

One of the number of companies that I have partnered up with on the XCub is Iflytailes.

For those that dont know.. These guys produce some superbly detailed scale parts for countless different models.

I teamed up with them at an early stage so they could offer a super scale and detailed instrument panel for the Xcub. As always. They did not disappoint! Here are photos of the panel that they will be offering for sale. It really helps set the cockpit off and is super visible from the outside.
Amazing work!
I have the first sample fitted to the latest XCub sample that I was hoping to fly at Joe Nall this week. I will try to get out and take some photos of it soon.

Regards Ali

Regards Ali
Last edited by Ali Machinchy; 05-15-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply