logo
Old 09-09-2020, 01:06 PM
Find More Posts by ChemE
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Mar 2017
381 Posts
Build Log
Building a wing and construction Jig

I am presently working on completing a Don Smith model. This being my first foray in scale found myself without many necessary tools.

One such tool is a wing jig to help hold the pieces together while laying-up and drying.

My company is throwing out in the next couple of weeks some robotics equipment surrounded by T-slot extruded rail. This rail can be adjusted three dimensionally with some good hardware, and also be made to hold parts perpendicular and rigidly in place. This would be close to an A-Justo but with many more capabilities and without drilling the wing sections. Attached are some pictures and the possibilities of such a frame.

I will have to make many different type of clips to go around spars and other components. The t slots would also allow clamps to be added to hold down the piece while drying.
ChemE is offline Find More Posts by ChemE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-19-2020, 07:05 PM
Find More Posts by winkybile
Joined Sep 2020
44 Posts
I tried to get everything lined up as close as possible, gluing all the struts into the lower wing and having the upper wing in place (but not glued) while the bottom of the wing dried. Once I had that done, I put the top wing in place, then started gluing at one end, doing just the very two end struts. I put the wing in place, and let the glue dry. Once those two end ones were dry, I lifted up the top wing slightly and allowed the flex of the struts to let me put glue on the rest of the struts, with the first two dried struts keeping the wing aligned. I slowly and carefully lowered the top wing back into place, lining up the struts closest to the already dried ones first, then working my way across.

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox
winkybile is offline Find More Posts by winkybile
Last edited by winkybile; 10-22-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:53 AM
Find More Posts by elwishsix
Joined Dec 2020
1 Posts
Thread half of the ribs onto the wing jig rods.
Measure the rib spacing on the plans and mark the rib locations on your spars and trailing edge.
Check that the rods are straight and your ribs are square, then spread the ribs out to the proper spacing.
Attach the trailing edge first, but don't attach the root rib yet.
shareit apk vidmate app
elwishsix is offline Find More Posts by elwishsix
Old 12-14-2020, 11:56 AM
Find More Posts by Justwantafly
Joined Jan 2018
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemE View Post
I am presently working on completing a Don Smith model. This being my first foray in scale found myself without many necessary tools.

One such tool is a wing jig to help hold the pieces together while laying-up and drying.

My company is throwing out in the next couple of weeks some robotics equipment surrounded by T-slot extruded rail. This rail can be adjusted three dimensionally with some good hardware, and also be made to hold parts perpendicular and rigidly in place. This would be close to an A-Justo but with many more capabilities and without drilling the wing sections. Attached are some pictures and the possibilities of such a frame.

I will have to make many different type of clips to go around spars and other components. The t slots would also allow clamps to be added to hold down the piece while drying.
That’s 80/20 they have a huge selection of fittings....McMaster Carr handles the product .
Justwantafly is offline Find More Posts by Justwantafly
Old 08-30-2022, 03:05 AM
Find More Posts by kizavid
Joined Aug 2022
1 Posts
The classic way to build a balsa wing is to put some kind of protective plastic sheet on your plan and build the wing right on top of the plan, pinning parts to your building board as you go. This usually works well and is very easy because lots of planes have ribs with a totally flat bottom or with at least part of the bottom flat. vidmate.app saveinsta
kizavid is offline Find More Posts by kizavid
Last edited by kizavid; 09-02-2022 at 06:58 AM.

Quick Reply