logo
This thread is privately moderated by MadMonkey, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:29 AM
Find More Posts by MadMonkey
That's "MISTER" idiot to you!
United States, TX, Roanoke
Joined Sep 2007
1,064 Posts
UAV project

I was contacted by the North Texas Airsoft organization based here in DFW to get a small UAV system put together for an upcoming event.

A while back I decided that if I have a talent for something, I might as well use it as often as I can, and this is a prime example. The airframe will be very, very loosely based on the RQ-11 Raven observation drone... I'll be using a Multiplex Easy Star ARF with a hot EDF motor/ESC combo from Grayson Hobby (with a prop). The airframe will be modified to include aileron control, and the battery compartment will be enlarged to carry two batteries, one for flight and one for the camera equipment.

Since I'm in a time crunch, this version will be super-simple... one or two cameras, LOS remote control only (no autonomy or FPV flying), and easy to set up. It's possible that I'll use gyro stabilization, too (after all, we're trying to pick out camoflaged individuals from a few hundred feet).

I'll start ordering parts over the next couple of weeks, and hopefully begin flight tests late this month or early March. I'll keep the blog updated.

After this one is finished, I'm considering building a couple more.. a Global Hawk (EDF) with a head-tracking camera and autonomous flight capability, and a Reaper hunter-killer with a gyro-stabilized Airsoft gun turret (and possibly Nerf missiles).

Should be fun projects even if they suck at actually working
MadMonkey is offline Find More Posts by MadMonkey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-13-2009, 06:26 AM
Find More Posts by Boulder
It's official, thanks Verne...
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jan 2006
11,247 Posts
Should be a cool project!
Boulder is offline Find More Posts by Boulder