logo
Old 04-11-2020, 05:09 AM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Closet - The First 144GTB's Motors came with the Rcexel unit, As the Black current one was still in testing.

The Black Model is the current unit and is the newer /Updated unit from what the First GP engines were using.

From what i have read i dont think there is any complaints from the GP guys with the newer unit.

Here is a pic of the Current model for reference.

Do you think that maybe you could have had a Bad ign unit? If it was running crap?
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-11-2020, 05:52 AM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
Yep the GP76 ignition was bad.It would kick back or the prop would stop dead in your hand.Also it was hard to start, and wouldn't go to full throttle..I check the timing and it was good.So I retarded the timing back to 26*BTDC and still the same.I already had a twin rcexl ignition and made the switch.That cured everything ran great.Every engine company has had problems with ignitions at on time or another,I just got a bad one.No way would I put up with a kick back engine,it's to dangerous .
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 04-11-2020, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by iflyrvs1
United States, OR, Vernonia
Joined Oct 2009
41 Posts
My engine runs great !!!! It is the latest ignition.
iflyrvs1 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrvs1
Old 04-12-2020, 10:51 PM
Find More Posts by iflyrvs1
United States, OR, Vernonia
Joined Oct 2009
41 Posts
DJ 144 kickback

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hodge View Post
Closet - The First 144GTB's Motors came with the Rcexel unit, As the Black current one was still in testing.

The Black Model is the current unit and is the newer /Updated unit from what the First GP engines were using.

From what i have read i dont think there is any complaints from the GP guys with the newer unit.

Here is a pic of the Current model for reference.

Do you think that maybe you could have had a Bad ign unit? If it was running crap?
So I've run this engine enough to know that it has a terrible kick back on most every start. I use my standard start procedure which is to crank it hot with the choke on till it fires and then turn the choke off and start it up. As it get fuel to fire it kicks back. Once started this engine runs really nice. Not sure where to go with this but guess maybe ill try a different ignition.
iflyrvs1 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrvs1
Old 04-12-2020, 11:58 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Kick back seems to be a trait of the various engines that use the same ignition the DJ uses. I you have an RCexl ignition handy, it would be interesting to see if your engine still had kick back using that.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 04-13-2020, 05:57 AM
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
Timing or ignition is the only reason for kick back.On this engine my money is on the ignition.Sense it has had kick back problems in the past,but on other engines and at a 6.6 voltage.
If your using 7.4 voltage and your timing is correct,then it's your ignition.Like I already said I used this type of ignition at 7.4 volts and it still kick back and wouldn't run.
RCEXL must be to expensive for engine manufactures to use them on their engines.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:49 AM
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetguy View Post
Timing or ignition is the only reason for kick back.On this engine my money is on the ignition.Sense it has had kick back problems in the past,but on other engines and at a 6.6 voltage.
If your using 7.4 voltage and your timing is correct,then it's your ignition.Like I already said I used this type of ignition at 7.4 volts and it still kick back and wouldn't run.
RCEXL must be to expensive for engine manufactures to use them on their engines.
I believe that EME is now using that ignition on some of their engines. There has to be a reason for the switch. More than likely cost or perhaps availability. There have been reports of kick back on the EME engines with the different ignition and the EME was always easy to start with the RCexl.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:14 PM
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
From my understanding the Current DJ,/Gp Ign unit produces more RPM/Performance over the Rcexcl, I wonder if this could be due to more aggressive timing curve hence kick back?
Last edited by The Hodge; 04-15-2020 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:24 PM
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
I’ll take a more user friendly engine any day over a few extra rpm.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:30 PM
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
I’ll take a more user friendly engine any day over a few extra rpm.
Yes i agree Trucke, Ill reach out to DJ and see of they can shed some light on it.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:48 PM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Yes i agree Trucke, Ill reach out to DJ and see of they can shed some light on it.
Agreed, please share here what you find out. I have a new EME engine waiting for the weather to get warmer before I do a shakedown start. I'm not looking forward to getting my fingers or knuckles tapped by an agressive ignition.

Confirmed, the new EME has the exact same ignition as the GP123.
JoeT is offline Find More Posts by JoeT
Old 04-15-2020, 07:04 PM
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
I think it is just the luck of the draw.Some have problems others don't.But saying this ignition only kicks back at lower voltage like 6.6 is just not true,at lease from my experience.
For me this is a major problem,I wouldn't try flipping any engine that is prone to do this.It's not even good for your engine firing harder at a advance state.
I know when I went from GP's to RCEXL ignitions on the GP76,It idle so much smoother and at a lower rpm.It's not just this style of ignition I had the same results switching from DA's.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:20 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I sponser JR
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,808 Posts
I finally got my Disposable Junk 144 started today. I use 100 octane alcohol free fuel, retarded the ignition as far as it would go. I am using a Tech Aero HV set at 8.0v running two fully charged 2S lipo 5400mah 40c batteries. I had a 29 inch prop and could still feel massive resistance to wanting to flip thru. I am going to put an RcExtreme ignition from Milton on it and be done. The RcExtreme ignition made my DA 120 seem a little better. I ordered this engine to go on a used air frame, kinda a budget build. But several disappointments including ignition and the super short mufflers that do not exit the cowl, and only certain people getting choke mods and longer mufflers has switched me to GP engines for the rest of my life. For the record I ran my GP 123 with a standard TA Ibec until the HV became available and it never kicked back. I also had a bad carb on a DJ 72 that was under warranty, warranty was refused with vendor saying I can sell you a carb. I did buy a new carb from another vendor and fixed the 72 it was running good when I sold it.
Festivus is online now Find More Posts by Festivus
Last edited by Festivus; 04-15-2020 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 04-15-2020, 07:28 PM
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I finally got my Disposable Junk 144 started today. I use 100 octane alcohol free fuel, retarded the ignition as far as it would go. I am using a Tech Aero HV set at 8.0v running two fully charged 2S lipo 5400mah 40c batteries. I had a 29 inch prop and could still feel massive resistance to wanting to flip thru. I am going to put an RcExtreme ignition from Milton on it and be done. The RcExtreme ignition made my DA 120 seem a little better. I ordered this engine to go on a used air frame, kinda a budget build. But several disappointments including ignition and the super short mufflers that do not exit the cowl, and only certain people getting choke mods and longer mufflers has switched me to GP engines for the rest of my life. For the record I ran my GP 123 with a standard TA Ibec until the HV became available and it never kicked back. I also had a bad carb on a DJ 72 that was under warranty, warranty was refused with vendor saying I can sell you a carb. I did buy a new carb from another vendor and fixed the 72 it was running good when I sold it.
So before doing all this, How was the engine running ? Or was this your first run.

After the timing change how is it running now?

Did you have any issues with Kick back?

Fyi Gp use the same Ign unit as well.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:39 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I sponser JR
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,808 Posts
Quote:
So before doing all this, How was the engine running ? Or was this your first run.
I finally got my Disposable Junk 144 started today.
After the timing change how is it running now?
retarded the ignition as far as it would go.
Did you have any issues with Kick back?
Kicked back like a pissed off mule. I had to make all the adjustments just to get it to start.
Fyi Gp use the same Ign unit as well.
Obviously GP is a much much better quality built engine and engineered for their ignition.
Festivus is online now Find More Posts by Festivus

Quick Reply