logo
Old 11-25-2012, 12:06 AM
Find More Posts by jonklittle
Joined Apr 2009
20 Posts
Discussion
EQ10 Smoking!

I was setting up a new plane tonight when all of a sudden smoke started coming out of the EQ10! I shut everything off immediately and unplugged all batteries and connections wondering what the hell just happened. Now one side of the board doesn't work when I turn the switch on. Any suggestions or input?
jonklittle is offline Find More Posts by jonklittle
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-25-2012, 12:08 AM
mdm
Find More Posts by mdm
mdm
Joined Jul 2011
73 Posts
Send it to smartfly it fryed
mdm is offline Find More Posts by mdm
Old 11-25-2012, 12:36 AM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Send it in. Once the magic smoke has been released, it can't be put back in.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 11-25-2012, 02:07 AM
Find More Posts by robbinsp
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Sep 2009
3,358 Posts
Any servos fighting?
robbinsp is offline Find More Posts by robbinsp
Old 11-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Joined Apr 2009
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbinsp View Post
Any servos fighting?
No, normal digital chatter every once in a while, but nothing out of the normal! That's why I'm confused on why this would happen!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:39 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,875 Posts
Electronic components fail once in a while, you were the once and today was the while
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 11-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Apr 2009
20 Posts
After checking over things a little more, it's actually just one of the battery ports where you connect your female deans which is not working. The entire board is still functioning with only one switch. And the switch that was connected to the port that started smoking seems to be working fine also. Hopefully this did not affect any of the other electronic components.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Find More Posts by Slats!
Joined Dec 2008
1,287 Posts
WOW the same thing happened to me in June. He was great, shipped a new one out ASAP but it has me thinking WHY DID THIS HAPPEN and more so can I trust an EQ10. I did not have smoke though.

I had it on and off a few times during set up and then on the last one BAMM. He never did tell me what happened even though I asked cuz I want to know.

It is like the board went into failsafe on the one batt port. Why this happened on the bench, agian, I have no idea. I was very careful of washers and what not falling in the plane. The new one worked all summer but its in the back of my mind.

All my gear was fine, Wolverine, Batts, Servos, just the Smartfly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonklittle View Post
After checking over things a little more, it's actually just one of the battery ports where you connect your female deans which is not working. The entire board is still functioning with only one switch. And the switch that was connected to the port that started smoking seems to be working fine also. Hopefully this did not affect any of the other electronic components.
Slats! is offline Find More Posts by Slats!
Old 11-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi,
Send it in and I will look at it. Something like this is a result of excessive high current, enough to smoke a 65 amp transistor. Some connection must have caused this. There is no path in the circuit that can fail and short to ground. The MOSFETs on the input simply open or close the positive path. They are not connected to ground.

Quote:
I was setting up a new plane tonight when all of a sudden smoke started coming out of the EQ10! I shut everything off immediately and unplugged all batteries and connections wondering what the hell just happened. Now one side of the board doesn't work when I turn the switch on. Any suggestions or input?
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Old 11-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi,
I don't remember this and I don't remember you asking. I am sure I would at least have told you what failed. Finding the cause of the failure is a lot harder because I do not know the exact conditions this happened under. Based on your description I have to assume a MOSFET failed and that usually happens because it was hit with large static discharge and the gate failed, although I do have static protectors in the circuit, or reverse biasing the circuit or shorting a servo plug out. Most of the time I can tell you what failed but I cannot tell you why. On these products so much of the circuit is exposed to the user any number of things can happen. I have taken every precaution I can reasonably take to protect the circuit, much, much more than any other power distribution unit on the market because I have taken most of them apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats! View Post
WOW the same thing happened to me in June. He was great, shipped a new one out ASAP but it has me thinking WHY DID THIS HAPPEN and more so can I trust an EQ10. I did not have smoke though.

I had it on and off a few times during set up and then on the last one BAMM. He never did tell me what happened even though I asked cuz I want to know.

It is like the board went into failsafe on the one batt port. Why this happened on the bench, agian, I have no idea. I was very careful of washers and what not falling in the plane. The new one worked all summer but its in the back of my mind.

All my gear was fine, Wolverine, Batts, Servos, just the Smartfly.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by rrritchey; 11-25-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Apr 2009
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrritchey View Post
Hi,
Send it in and I will look at it. Something like this is a result of excessive high current, enough to smoke a 65 amp transistor. Some connection must have caused this. There is no path in the circuit that can fail and short to ground. The MOSFETs on the input simply open or close the positive path. They are not connected to ground.
Sounds good,
I'll be sending it out first thing in the morning. As far as the excessive high current, that could only be coming from the battery correct? I am running a HV setup through out the entire plane, but I'm sure that shouldn't matter.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi,
Something like this usually happens from an accidental short or a battery accidentally being reverse biased. On the Deans this can happen if you have the connector 180 degrees and try to plug it in. It is possible to get a momentary contact this way. The Eq10 components can handle up to 8.5V very safely.

Quote:
Sounds good,
I'll be sending it out first thing in the morning. As far as the excessive high current, that could only be coming from the battery correct? I am running a HV setup through out the entire plane, but I'm sure that shouldn't matter.
Site Sponsor
Old 11-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts
Thanks for responding Bob.
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 11-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by CatalinaWOW
United States, OR, Eagle Point
Joined Oct 2009
1,137 Posts
Just like any other product, Smartfly products can fail. I've had really good luck with Smartfly products, and as this thread shows, the support is fantastic.
CatalinaWOW is offline Find More Posts by CatalinaWOW
Old 11-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Find More Posts by Slats!
Joined Dec 2008
1,287 Posts
Hi, Well I did ask in the letter with the return and I did actually call you back and you said you had not looked at it. No problem you were heading out to a show and you were great sending me a new one ASAP even before you had the fried board. Top knotch that's all you can ask

The failure was not due to anything I did. I can tell you that much. Hey its electronics, who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrritchey View Post
Hi,
I don't remember this and I don't remember you asking. I am sure I would at least have told you what failed. Finding the cause of the failure is a lot harder because I do not know the exact conditions this happened under. Based on your description I have to assume a MOSFET failed and that usually happens because it was hit with large static discharge and the gate failed, although I do have static protectors in the circuit, or reverse biasing the circuit or shorting a servo plug out. Most of the time I can tell you what failed but I cannot tell you why. On these products so much of the circuit is exposed to the user any number of things can happen. I have taken every precaution I can reasonably take to protect the circuit, much, much more than any other power distribution unit on the market because I have taken most of them apart.
Slats! is offline Find More Posts by Slats!
Last edited by Slats!; 11-26-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply