logo
Old 08-17-2016, 03:04 PM
Find More Posts by talkthetorque
Joined Sep 2009
51 Posts
Question
Pilot RC 129" Yak 54 for IMAC?

Hi guys

I have a fair experience in pattern and IMAC but have been out of it for about 5 years. Looking at buying a 40% again and don't have an unlimited budget. I have seen a Pilot RC Yak 54 40% (129") for sale. How is this aircraft for IMAC? I've never seen one being used for the unlimited schedule and am mainly concerned about its snap characteristics. Will it snap crisp with that large wing and hold its lines afterwards?

Thanks
TtT
talkthetorque is offline Find More Posts by talkthetorque
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-17-2016, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
I've flown the 50 and 100cc versions- sweet flying plane, snaps beautifully, good down line breaking.
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 08-18-2016, 08:27 AM
Find More Posts by why_fly_high
100% EDGE Builder
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Jan 2006
1,477 Posts
I think it is a fine flying aircraft. I have quite a few flights on a friends. His had a 150 and flew great but really doubt it would make it through the Unlimited sequence. a 170 on pipes or a 200 and you might be OK. These can hit upper 47-50lbs pretty easily.
why_fly_high is offline Find More Posts by why_fly_high
Old 08-18-2016, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
I have the 37.5 55M with a DA 150 on stock exhaust. it's good for intermediate but not upline snaps. a 40% I am thinking you will need some serious horsepower in the nose. I would take a look at the H9 Suhkoi, which I also have with a DLE 170. Much lighter, and used by many in IMAC.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 08-18-2016, 09:46 AM
Find More Posts by sthudson
Grants Pass, OR
Joined Sep 2007
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
I have the 37.5 55M with a DA 150 on stock exhaust. it's good for intermediate but not upline snaps. a 40% I am thinking you will need some serious horsepower in the nose. I would take a look at the H9 Suhkoi, which I also have with a DLE 170. Much lighter, and used by many in IMAC.

+1

I have a PRC 37.5 with a DLE-170 and it's a nice combo. I don't think it would have enough for uplines on a PRC 40%.
sthudson is offline Find More Posts by sthudson
Old 08-18-2016, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by Stangflyer
Gimmie the sticks-I'll fly it.
United States, ID, Meridian
Joined Dec 2012
1,048 Posts
For what it is worth, the 40% 129" Pilot Yak 54 is one of the sweetest planes you will fly. It is stable as a rock and pretty much glides through most maneuvers. However as mentioned, it may not be a good choice for what you are wanting. Also as mentioned, you'll need a ton of ponies up front. Mine comes in at just over 51 lbs. dry with a 3w 210csts up front. I love the way this plane lifts off, flies and floats. An up line snap is asking a lot from this plane at that weight. If the weight could be kept down around 45 lbs., you might have better luck. Look at the Hangar 9 Sukhoi 3.1 SU26. I have one with a 3w 170 on KS 90 cans. That girl will do it all.
Stangflyer is offline Find More Posts by Stangflyer
Old 09-02-2016, 10:25 AM
Joined Sep 2009
51 Posts
Sorry guys its not 129" its the 121" (37.5%) It has a DLE222 on it. I have seen it fly when the previous owner was flying it. He sold it and the new owner has never flown it but is giving up the hobby. It has plenty power and that's why I was interested. I'm more concerned about its flying characteristics with snaps. It seems like might not let go with snaps and have a barrel tendency. I have also seen a 3.1m H9 Sukhoi with 3w and no pipes but its starting to get expensive for me and then still buying pipes. How would you compare the Pilot RC Yak 54 121" with the 3.1m H9 Sukhoi if both had adequate power and airframe were being judged for flying unlimited?
Old 09-02-2016, 02:25 PM
Find More Posts by Robotech
United States, AR, Pine Bluff
Joined Aug 2006
3,872 Posts
Can't speak about the Pilot Yak, but the H9 Su31 was designed for IMAC flying. Thin airfoil, stretched fuse ........ Snaps are very crisp and stop on a dime.
Robotech is offline Find More Posts by Robotech
Old 09-02-2016, 03:41 PM
Find More Posts by Stangflyer
Gimmie the sticks-I'll fly it.
United States, ID, Meridian
Joined Dec 2012
1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Can't speak about the Pilot Yak, but the H9 Su31 was designed for IMAC flying. Thin airfoil, stretched fuse ........ Snaps are very crisp and stop on a dime.
I've seen the 222 in action. It is an awesome engine. But that being a given, I love my big Yak. But the H9 Sukhoi is top shelf for IMAC.
Stangflyer is offline Find More Posts by Stangflyer
Old 09-02-2016, 04:22 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
I have both....while the suhkoi would be my first choice for imac the yak is still quite respectable for precision.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 09-02-2016, 04:31 PM
Find More Posts by TBone08
United States, MD, Bethesda
Joined Dec 2011
1,182 Posts
I fly a carden Pro for Imac, and had the H9 Suk. with the budget you mentioned I would for sure choose the Suk for precision. have also a 120cc Yak.
inho the Extra or Suk will fly better for Imac.
TBone08 is offline Find More Posts by TBone08
Old 09-09-2016, 05:01 PM
Joined Sep 2009
51 Posts
Thanks for the feed back guys, appreciate it

I do have another question if I may How many guys use the yak 55m for IMAC? I ask as I have a 100cc one and it maybe one of the best planes I've ever flown. It is however set up for 3d. I kinda think it may struggle with rolling circles in high wind as it doesn't have a lot of fuze area for the KE portions and so might not be able to turn tight in the down wind areas of the rolling circles.
Last edited by talkthetorque; 09-09-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:15 AM
Find More Posts by sthudson
Grants Pass, OR
Joined Sep 2007
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkthetorque View Post
Thanks for the feed back guys, appreciate it

I do have another question if I may How many guys use the yak 55m for IMAC? I ask as I have a 100cc one and it maybe one of the best planes I've ever flown. It is however set up for 3d. I kinda think it may struggle with rolling circles in high wind as it doesn't have a lot of fuze area for the KE portions and so might not be able to turn tight in the down wind areas of the rolling circles.

A few guys I fly with have the Yak 55 while I have the 54. The 55 has a longer fuse, and in my opinion seems to track better than mine. Now let me say we are all flying sportsman so I can't speak for the upper classes. I fly with a friend who has a Hempel 100cc 55 and he's been winning in Sportsman. But he's a 16 year kid who's been improving by leaps and bounds, while I (old guy) stay the same. That said I am building an Extra this winter to replace my Yak 54 for IMAC with hopes of moving up and getting better.
sthudson is offline Find More Posts by sthudson
Last edited by sthudson; 09-10-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:09 AM
Joined Sep 2009
51 Posts
Thanks guys. I was at a stretch financially to get a 40% right now so although the H9 Sukhoi 3.1m with a 3w 170 was looking like my best option it was getting expensive and I still had to buy pipes for it. I have in the mean time bought a H9 Extra 300 (100cc size) with a DA 120 with pipes and pretty good equipment in it. So will use this for now and will at a later stage buy a 40%. Thanks for all your help, much appreciated

Quick Reply