logo
Old 07-26-2013, 05:13 AM
Find More Posts by jraycut
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Jul 2009
725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm_mac View Post
It will never be the same unless everyone flys freestyle that competes. THE EVENT COMBINES BOTH SCORES!!! GET RID OF THE SLOP!!!!! Most of us are over the FREESTYLE ONLY competitors. Lets get back to the real pilots. If you want to see a good throw down go to a huckfest. I dont think we need a millionare. We need quality competition. Thats what the TOC was all about.
(cough, cough....Clover Creek Invitational)
jraycut is online now Find More Posts by jraycut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-26-2013, 06:26 AM
Find More Posts by Carruthers43
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Aug 2010
1,514 Posts
Quote:
It will never be the same unless everyone flys freestyle that competes. THE EVENT COMBINES BOTH SCORES!!! GET RID OF THE SLOP!!!!! Most of us are over the FREESTYLE ONLY competitors. Lets get back to the real pilots. If you want to see a good throw down go to a huckfest. I dont think we need a millionare. We need quality competition. Thats what the TOC was all about.
That would be awesome! I love to watch all these old videos! Believe me nothing but respect for the way these kids can't fling an airplane! But man these guys really can fly! Remember they were by today's standards underpowered both in engine and servos! It's incredible what they did!

Watch the video of that weeks solution and watch the spin entry that is a very scale almost perfect entry but if we did that in iMac it would be downgraded so much!
Carruthers43 is offline Find More Posts by Carruthers43
Old 07-26-2013, 06:28 AM
Find More Posts by Carruthers43
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Aug 2010
1,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash48 View Post
My pops that built that airplane just talked to Wayne and dean still has that airplane and Wayne still has a never flown 50% weeks sitting in his attic!
Carruthers43 is offline Find More Posts by Carruthers43
Old 07-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Find More Posts by flymedic
Huckin Fire Trucker
United States, AZ, Littlefield
Joined Jan 2008
1,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
Everyone in favor of reinstituting the TOC raise your right hand and say "AYE"

now... where do we get a millionaire RC Dork with money burning a hole in his pocket???

ps... I get the NX!!
AYE, AYE, AYE, AYE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh ya, the car kicked a$$ sitting next to the Circus Circus motorhome too
flymedic is offline Find More Posts by flymedic
Old 07-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Find More Posts by mmcconville
Monticello, IL USA
Joined May 2006
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhilderbrandt View Post
His own design later kitted by Pirate Models
Correct!
mmcconville is offline Find More Posts by mmcconville
Old 07-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Find More Posts by bruno
Opwijk Belgium
Joined Jan 2006
336 Posts
Anyone who has more info about Dave Von Linsowe's blue and white Extra 260 ? Would love to build one �� , thanks, Bruno .
bruno is offline Find More Posts by bruno
Old 07-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Monticello, IL USA
Joined May 2006
946 Posts
What a great thread!!! Makes me nostalgic and a bit sad. I might have to go dig out all of my TOC pics. Great memories of a lot of great friends, great flying at the worlds greatest RC event ever held!
I really miss those few weeks in the fall when we could go to the desert and focus 100% on nothing but flying. I always felt each TOC made me a better pilot than I though I could be. From my '92 Staduacher - "UGLIEST airplane ever flown at the TOC (Thanks Doug) to my '02 Carden Extra 330S (still around as far as I know), the models just kept getting better and better.

I remember as a kid looking at the early TOCs in magazines and idolizing those guys. One of the most surreal moments I think I ever experienced at the TOC was sitting in my pit spot and thinking 'wow, I'm here pitting right beside Wolfgang Matt!' He was one of those guys I idolized! And I was beating him which was pretty cool too ;-)
But seriously I feel very lucky to have been part of the last 8 TOCs that were held. GREAT, GREAT memories!
Last edited by mmcconville; 07-26-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,556 Posts
It was even better to find out that Wolfgang was a really nice guy too.
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 07-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Monticello, IL USA
Joined May 2006
946 Posts
Yes it was Doug. Same with just about everyone!
Old 07-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Monticello, IL USA
Joined May 2006
946 Posts
And Wolfgang is STILL competing at a world class level in F3A! He is a true RC aerobatic icon!
Old 07-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcconville View Post
Yes it was Doug. Same with just about everyone!
That's the truth. For me, that moment was the first time I met Giichi Naruke, who I'd idolized and as a kid I'd dreamed about building one of his airplanes, and Ivan Kristensen, whose airplane I DID build and fly, and how really friendly everybody was at this event.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:11 PM
JAS
Find More Posts by JAS
JAS
Miss you mom/pop-pop
Around the USA
Joined Feb 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Vargas View Post
I Was there, you were absolutely fantastic on the freestyle rounds... Fu.. Dual rates...

Before that round I was sure you'll get the big pot..

Awesome pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEROCOLOR View Post
I remember that one.

"Where`s the Kaboom? There`s supposed to be an earthshattering kaboom!"
We helped JAS go pick it up....with a shovel.
Kinda sucked for him but it was awesome for the spectators.

Sorry Jason. Couldn`t resist.
Yea, and that wasn't the biggest thing on my mind. My grandfather and aunt had just come out on Wednesday to watch a bit of the afternoon flying, then Thursday, no one showed up, but my dad in the afternoon. Friday my dad finally pulled me aside after the round (I knew something was up, my grandfather doesn't just show-up to the TOC and NOT come out to watch) and told me my grandfather had a heart attack Wednesday night and was in the hospital. Almost didn't show up on Saturday, didn't care about flying at that point. But with his quadruple by-pass, he's still flying today, at 92.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badams View Post
What was awesome was Jason being a man and getting up there in front of everyone telling all of us in the crowd that it was totally his fault because he was in the wrong dual rate.
It was funny, going to walk out to the crash, how many times I had to explain that it was because of ME that I crashed, not my radio's fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futabaman View Post
I was wondering how long before somebody brought this up! One of the classic TOC "thumps".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
Nah.. that wasn't even Jason's best! His best by far was in.. 96 I think? In the middle of his free, he turned around to ask his caller Ryan to tell him what the airplane was doing. Jason was going to do a 'no look' maneuver of some sort I think.

Ryan responded with something like "Um.. What?" and before Jason could turn back around the airplane hit the trees.. People tried some funny stuff at the TOC for sure.

And OH MAN.. Those TREES! Unless you ever had to go out there.. you have NO IDEA how hard it is to find things out there. We pulled several airplanes out of that swamp over the years and each time it was an adventure. Basically as soon as you hit the tree line, the ground sloped down about 10 feet, and they were CRAZY thick, so you could walk right by the airplane and not see it.
That 96 crash was my 'best' dumb-thumbs ever. But with a 0 for the first round and a horrible 2nd round score, I couldn't go any lower in the standings. I think I bounced back ok though lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
My Bad.... typo...

NSX

Attachment 586543

I want, I want, I want

Quote:
How about we have to get 'legal' 3-views that the organization has approved, with +/-10% limits already given to make the airplanes conform to, AND we MUST use the same plane in the Known, Unknown AND FREESTYLE!!!!! Now that will make it fun again
JAS is offline Find More Posts by JAS
Old 07-26-2013, 12:33 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
7,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
..........................How about we have to get 'legal' 3-views that the organization has approved, with +/-10% limits already given to make the airplanes conform to, AND we MUST use the same plane in the Known, Unknown AND FREESTYLE!!!!! Now that will make it fun again
in my unimportant and uninformed opinion.... the next step is to totally abandon the scale requirement... implement something like a 3.5m x 3.5m box size limitation with a 60 pound
weight limit.. (Similar concept to FAI F3A) and add non-scale maneuvers to the catalog... (Similar to F3A)

the scale thing is just holding back what "Could" be...

oh... and yes... one plane for all rounds... Known, Unknown and Free....

and NO GYROS!!!!

('Cept at the Snack Bar!!!)
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 07-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,556 Posts
I agree actually with removing the 'scale' limitation. We have IMAC for that. I'd love to see what can be done with large, aerobatic designs with no limitations. But yes, one airplane for known, unknown, and 4-minute. I'd just keep the 55 pound weight limit, and remove all other restrictions.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Find More Posts by rc4flying
Hermitage, Pa
Joined Jan 2006
2,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno View Post
Anyone who has more info about Dave Von Linsowe's blue and white Extra 260 ? Would love to build one �� , thanks, Bruno .
When I saw Dave fly his Dead Stick routine at the '92 TOC, I had to have one. The plane was a semi kit that had the wings jig built with foam ribs and fully sheeted and the fuse needing built. I enjoyed building the plane, but most of all, I enjoyed this great flying plane for the 8 yrs that I flew it. I sold it and regretted afterwards. Plane never flew again by it's new owner.
rc4flying is offline Find More Posts by rc4flying

Quick Reply