logo
Old 03-23-2020, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
4,427 Posts
Boy, lots of folks following this thread. good morning Bill, Dale, Tony, Andy, Cam...

Tony, a battery backer provides insurance against a battery failure. there is still a single point of entry on the receiver, and the battery is controlled by a switch. better than a single battery and single switch, but only the battery is redundant. preferred method is two batteries, two switches, and two ports. true redundancy and more current available to the system.

I have installed close to 20 TAs in various airplanes (none with HV ignitions) and have never changed the pins from the default voltage.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-23-2020, 10:13 AM
Find More Posts by TonyGagJr
Joined Feb 2010
123 Posts
Appreciate all the input but I feel comfortable using a battery backer versus two batteries/two switches plugged into the RX. Just my preference from all the research I have done. Although I have never used a Tech-Aero unit I am not new to the hobby, been at it for over 30 years. I knew a Tech-Aero eliminated the need for a separate battery for the ignition but didn’t know it was also a kill switch.

Thanks,
Tony
TonyGagJr is offline Find More Posts by TonyGagJr
Old 03-23-2020, 10:58 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
9,999 Posts
Old guy, set in his ways

Seriously, whatever makes you comfortable. They have been selling those things for years and as a 20 year Navy avionics electronic tech and 45 year hobbyist, I can tell you that they are sold on the false premise that a bad pack will take down a good one. Not sure the research you've been doing but it's either marketing hoodoo by folks selling them or lack of avionics engineering knowledge.

But I've said this before, and I will say it and mean it in this case, the best installation is the one you're most comfortable with.
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 03-23-2020, 12:00 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
4,427 Posts
Tony, I don't mean to throw kerosene on the fire, but if you taken the step to use an TA IBEC - which is good one, I urge you to continue to do legitimate research on different approaches to supplying power the receiver. if you fly spektrum I would also encourage you to look at powersafe receiver.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 03-23-2020, 12:28 PM
Find More Posts by TonyGagJr
Joined Feb 2010
123 Posts
Again, we can agree to disagree on the battery backer. I don’t think 45 is old but maybe some do. Not trying to argue with people who helped me with the Tech-Aero but there are many ways to do things in this hobby. Mine ways are always changing and evolving. I only fly Spektrum on my small foamies, Futaba for gassers but the Spektrum power safe receivers seem like good units. I really do appreciate the feedback but my question was about the Tech-Aero unit, not about if I should be using a battery backer or not. Maybe I’m just a dumb retired Air Force crew chief, not as smart as those avionics folks.
TonyGagJr is offline Find More Posts by TonyGagJr
Old 03-23-2020, 12:32 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
5,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkoury View Post
I have found that the KISS principle. despite years of verification, has been unable to overcome the "Bling" wave created by the internet.
I love that! May I have your permission to use that statement in the future?
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 03-23-2020, 12:33 PM
Find More Posts by William_Burkert
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Oct 2013
648 Posts
If cost is a concern you can get a RCEXL optical kill switch for $20 and do two solder points and you can have the IBEC feature. Their instructions show you how to do it, it works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
Sounds like you got it figured out... yes the TechAero is a great device.

The receiver provides power to the TechAero, the TechAero then provides power to the ignition.

A simple inline device, that operates/arms/disarms the ignition via an available channel from your transmitter. Simple simple, yet very effective.

It's really unclear what you actually thought the TechAero was for.. LOL.. Wondering if you didn't know it was an optical kill, what did you think it was?..

Also, FYI, the TechAero has a regulator feature that's set via the jumper-plug(s), depending on what voltage you want/need to run your ignition.

Once you use a TechAero, you probably won't mess with anything else.
William_Burkert is offline Find More Posts by William_Burkert

Quick Reply