logo
Old 05-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Find More Posts by madmax
The Michael Jordan of RC
United States, CA, Aliso Viejo
Joined Jan 2006
22,516 Posts
Trabuco Flyers Pig Roastin': How we git r' dun in The OC!

This past weekend we had a couple of pretty cool things going on in my home town, Orange County California. Starting on Saturday, Brett and I headed over to our electric field at Fairview park. Our club was having a low key fun fly, and the weather was PERFECT at 80ish and minimal wind. Brett (heydick) and I bashed around the FG mascot Uzi XXL (Hobby-Lobby, my fav electric bird), along with the Fliton Inspire. The folks at Fairview are a great group, and the food that the club prepared on the BBQ was EXCELLENT!

Later in the day, I headed out to the Trabuco field (Trabuco Flyers) for their third annual pig roast. When I got there, many people were already camping out, and I was greeted by my friends Corey, Mike, Robert, and crew. I hung out well into the evening, and watched something pretty cool! We split wood and threw it into a 6' square hole in the ground and burned it all up in preparation for a pig cookin'! You gotta understand something -- in OC, this type of stuff is a rarity. With all the forest fires out here, the club had to obtain some pretty stringent permits to pull this off. No drama. At about 11:30pm, the firepit was full with a raging fire and it was time to let the coals settle down. The boys put a series of cinder blocks into the pit, and lowered the two 80lb, marinated pigs into the pit and covered the hole with a corrugated metal hood.

The party that gathered this evening was awesome and camaraderie factor was off the hook. Camping in OC. Enough said! The Trabuco site is one of the last bastions of wilderness in my town, and it was a great experience being able to make a short drive and be able to do this type of thing.

Here's an aerial view:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...&t=h&z=18&om=1

On Sunday, me, Momo, Heydick, and Toro headed back out to the field, and the event was well under way. The pig was unearthed around noon, and was perfectly cooked! The Trabuco boys had a HUGE spread of food which included the pig of course, many salads which were served pot luck style from the member's wives, desserts and refreshments. I don't know the exact number, but I'm pretty sure better than 200 people were run through the food line. The pig was toast!

Folks from all over Orange County came out, enjoyed a great day of flying, met new friends, and got the chance to see some killer demos performed by some of our local talents -- Jeff Szueber and... GET THIS.. FlyingGiants own pickle cutter extraordinaire, Jeremy "Toro" Billeaudeaux! Jeff's demo wowed with crowd, some of whom have never seen a world class pilot fly before. Jeff did not disappoint!! His caller Curtis Pilcher (Monster Energy Drink) was on hand, and the demo was awesome.

Toro also put on an unbelievable demo that quite honestly was some of the best heli huckin' I've seen in some time! As you know, Toro is our own 35 year old version of Justin Chi (LOL!). In a year and a half, he's accelled rapidly, and he can now pull off just about any trick in the book! Jer was out there tearing it up.

Later in the day after the killer raffle, with bellies full of pig, we thanked our friends, and headed home. To all the Trabuco Flyers, THANKS! for putting on this event! It's great to have stuff like this going on in our hometown where modeling definitely needs a kick in the butt! Thanks also for inviting The FlyingGiants, and for welcoming us with open arms. You guys have a hell of a group, and I can't wait until the next time we have a chance to hang out.

Good times! Check out the photo flood..

Max
madmax is offline Find More Posts by madmax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-28-2007, 01:41 PM
The Michael Jordan of RC
Joined Jan 2006
22,516 Posts
Re: Pig Roastin': How we git r' dun in The OC!

Last edited by madmax; 01-09-2014 at 03:59 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:45 PM
The Michael Jordan of RC
Joined Jan 2006
22,516 Posts

Old 05-28-2007, 01:50 PM
The Michael Jordan of RC
Joined Jan 2006
22,516 Posts

Old 05-28-2007, 01:54 PM
The Michael Jordan of RC
Joined Jan 2006
22,516 Posts

Old 05-28-2007, 01:57 PM
The Michael Jordan of RC
Joined Jan 2006
22,516 Posts

Old 05-28-2007, 01:58 PM
The Michael Jordan of RC
Joined Jan 2006
22,516 Posts

Old 05-28-2007, 02:01 PM
The Michael Jordan of RC
Joined Jan 2006
22,516 Posts
Re: Trabuco Flyers Pig Roastin': How we git r' dun in The OC!

That's the lot of 'em folks! The last two photos are of a cool little memorial my neighbor's kids made for Memorial Day.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Find More Posts by robert92679
Joined May 2007
2 Posts

Hi Max,

Thanks for coming out and joining the fun! It was a blast. We're already thinking about next year, so mark the calendar.

See you next time,

Robert

P.S.: For anyone looking for more information on the Trabuco Flyers, check out the club website at: http://www.trabucorcflyers.com/
robert92679 is offline Find More Posts by robert92679
Old 05-28-2007, 06:51 PM
The Michael Jordan of RC
Joined Jan 2006
22,516 Posts

Right on Robert!! That was a good time, and we're looking forward to the next!
Old 05-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Find More Posts by momo
Mad Max's Baby Mama
The OC
Joined Jan 2006
1,647 Posts

This was a fun time!! Food was great ... reminded me of my recent visit to South Kakalaki!!

Monica
momo is offline Find More Posts by momo
Old 05-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Find More Posts by Toro
Joined Jan 2006
2,431 Posts

had a good time, even though it cost me a crash kit, and a set of Radix 600's.... Still had a blast... Figured I would put on a show for the folks, and backed the rappy in tail first doing low 180 flips.
Toro is offline Find More Posts by Toro
Old 05-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Find More Posts by GMoney
Lake Tawakoni
Joined Feb 2006
1,663 Posts

Looks like you guys had a great time.. I wish I culd have made it but the family dragged me down south to Mexico.. Next time..

Toro! The crowds are like voices in my head yelling LOWER!!!! You gotta quit listening to those voices....
GMoney is offline Find More Posts by GMoney
Old 05-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Find More Posts by Toro
Joined Jan 2006
2,431 Posts

voices... Those are the same ones who said buy 2 more helis... and the same ones right now saying buy a 90 !

Backed it in during the Demo flight... had lots of applause, that just egged me on further... Still came back after and flew the TREXION 600 like a raped ape... but smoooootthhhh.... Low backwards is starting to become my favorite... Low snakes to follow soon..
Toro is offline Find More Posts by Toro
Old 05-28-2007, 11:57 PM
Find More Posts by bradyrc
United States, SC, Fountain Inn
Joined Jul 2006
198 Posts

Max

This year's event was a blast, and you better believe we will top it next year. Special Thanks to all of our sponsors that made it possible to throw an event like this... Hitec Multiplex, Air Wild, Gyro Hobbies, Desert Aircraft, Carden Aircraft, Horizon Hobby, El Toro Meats, Our very own Lake Traut with EFuel Hobbies, TryRc, Lucilles Barbecue and The Flying Giants. Max, MoMo, Toro and HeyDick were there spreading Giants swag, stickers, and videos. Air Wild's Demo Pilot Jeff Szueber put on an Amazing Show with his AW Extra 260!!! Thanks Guys and can't wait till the 2008 Memorial Day Fly In.

Most of all let's not forget about the meaning of this holiday... Thanks to all who have served for this great nation, and that we will never forget our fallen brothers!

Corey
bradyrc is offline Find More Posts by bradyrc

Quick Reply