logo
Old 09-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Find More Posts by scotte
Bombers Rock the World
Wichita Falls, TX
Joined Jan 2006
66 Posts
AIRSHOW comming up.. can anyone spot me a plane???

Ok Giants, I have an oppertunity to fly in an airshow at Sheppard AFB, and don't have a 35% or a 40% plane anymore. Had to get rid of them when we had our 3rd baby in January. So here comes the HUGE question/Favor that pushes the limits of the unbelievable "FlyingGiants Vibe". Can someone.. anyone spot me a 35% or 40% plane to perform at this airshow.

I want everyone to know that I UNDERSTAND what it is that I ask, as I use to own a nice Comp ARF 2.6m Extra, and a REAL nice 3.0m Compy Extra that I never got to finish. I know what these plane meant to me, and how much I babied them.

Obviously there is a ton more information, so just PM me, or post here and ask! Even if you are not intrested at all, I would really like to have some feedback on this. Thank you all for your consideration ahead of time.

EDIT: To all who consider this, if the donor's aircraft were to become damaged beyond repair, I will be more than willing to provide the means of complete replacement of the aircraft.

SSgt Scott Eidson
scotte is offline Find More Posts by scotte
Last edited by scotte; 09-13-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Find More Posts by thewrap
I had it, but then I lost it.
Highland Village Texas
Joined Feb 2006
1,883 Posts
Re: AIRSHOW comming up.. can anyone spot me a plane???

Wow, I hope everything works out, that is very extreme.
thewrap is offline Find More Posts by thewrap
Old 09-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by RADRICH
Hmmm...tastes like chicken!!!!
Louisville,KY
Joined Jan 2007
632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
Ok Giants, I have an oppertunity to fly in an airshow at Sheppard AFB, and don't have a 35% or a 40% plane anymore. Had to get rid of them when we had our 3rd baby in January. So here comes the HUGE question/Favor that pushes the limits of the unbelievable "FlyingGiants Vibe". Can someone.. anyone spot me a 35% or 40% plane to perform at this airshow.

I want everyone to know that I UNDERSTAND what it is that I ask, as I use to own a nice Comp ARF 2.6m Extra, and a REAL nice 3.0m Compy Extra that I never got to finish. I know what these plane meant to me, and how much I babied them.

Obviously there is a ton more information, so just PM me, or post here and ask! Even if you are not intrested at all, I would really like to have some feedback on this. Thank you all for your consideration ahead of time.

SSgt Scott Eidson
You might consider editing your first post by adding that you would be more than willing to put up front the money it would take to replace said plane should said plane become part of the planet while under your control. Could get alot more hits on this thread if you did that.
RADRICH is offline Find More Posts by RADRICH
Old 09-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Bombers Rock the World
Wichita Falls, TX
Joined Jan 2006
66 Posts

yea I know it's extreme, but there are many awsome opertunities that can come from this. Also, I would not ask this of anyone if I were not 100% confident in my abilities to fly a giant scale aircraft in a very safe maner (both for the crowd, and the donor!).

Something else to think about.. Flying at an Airshow is a little different than flying at an R/C event. If I fly too low, then a great majority of the crowd will not be able to see the cool manuvers that we are capable of, and (depending on the air boss) the safety personel at the airshow could get upset.

I really have a heart to showcase our awsome hobby in the best light. I will not sacrifice safety for a show. The reputation of our hobby is at risk every time we fly for someone who has not been exposed to 3d or precision aerobatics before, not to mention my personal reputation (not that I am known by anyone).

SSgt Scott Eidson
Old 09-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Bombers Rock the World
Wichita Falls, TX
Joined Jan 2006
66 Posts

Doe! I feel stupid! Should the donor aircraft become part of terra firma, I would be more than willing to compensate the donor for their loss. Thanks for the catch... I consider that to be an obvious requirement, and didn't even think to put that in the post.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Find More Posts by rcplane
Redding, CA
Joined Feb 2006
255 Posts

Not meaning to sound negative, but... why don't you ask for another pilot to fly their own plane at the event if its the hobby you want the spectators to see?
I mean you wouldn't even know the plane you were going to fly and if you haven't been flying for a while how much could you really do SAFELY?

Mike
rcplane is offline Find More Posts by rcplane
Old 09-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Bombers Rock the World
Wichita Falls, TX
Joined Jan 2006
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcplane View Post
Not meaning to sound negative, but... why don't you ask for another pilot to fly their own plane at the event if its the hobby you want the spectators to see?
I mean you wouldn't even know the plane you were going to fly and if you haven't been flying for a while how much could you really do SAFELY?

Mike
excellent point Mike,

The whole idea of "borrowing" somone's plane has 2 fold purpose.

THE PRIMARY reason is to showcase the hobby in which your post would be a perfect idea (and not completely out of the question I might add) If this doesn't work out That is the next thread that will begin.

The OTHER reason.. I am very much wanting to fly at airshows around the country, very similiar to the teams that are currently doing this very thing. I am in the process of building the funds to start my own team, and have done considerable research into what it takes to do this.
One of the things that would help me start this is to have video of me flying an airshow event. I have flown at other (NON airshow)events, but alas, I have no video to show for it. This video will help with eventually acquiring a sponsor or two, and assist in being scheduled for other events.

To address your safety concerns I completely agree with you. I have been flying my foamies since I had to sell my giant scale planes, and while a foamie is definatly NOT a COMP ARF, my fingers are still there if you know what I mean. Also, for this to work with any measure of safety, I would ask that the plane (and donor if they so wish. I know I would) arrive at LEAST a week before the show. I would prefer 2 weeks, so there could be a greater amount of practice.

GUY and GALs, I know this flies in the face of some great many odds. But if you never ask, than you never know. Again thanks for all of the responses, and considerations. Come what may this is still the most awesome community of R/C enthusists out there!

SSgt Scott Eidson
Old 09-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by Fixed Wing
Horse Power Saves Planes!
Magnolia, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
2,284 Posts

I couldn't find your name listed as having flown in any IMAC contests this year. I would think someone wishing to demonstrate large scale aircraft at an airshow would also be involved in precision aerobatics through IMAC. This would help get your name out, become known, and possibly catch the eye of some sponsors as you state are your desires. However, I may have overlooked your name and be wrong? If so, then you might consider stating what your qualifications are so people would be a little more open to consider your request.
Fixed Wing is offline Find More Posts by Fixed Wing
Old 09-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Find More Posts by rcplane
Redding, CA
Joined Feb 2006
255 Posts

I hate to be a bearer of more bad news but you could have 10 videos and in my opinion they won't do you a bit of good. Only people, and the right people, seeing you fly at the right events, and really standing out at those events will get you a real sponsor. Then and only then will somebody come up to you or contact you and ask if you are interested. And then it might only be for props. Nothing to snivel about mind you but it doesn't sound like the kind of sponsorship you are talking about.

As far as air show teams, what money do you need? Every team member would either have their own stuff, unless the team is sponsored by a major manufacturer or non RC cooperation then all gear is supplied, and unless you are just talking a few buddies getting together and calling yourself a team, travel expenses plus cash are usually paid or its not really sponsored?

Go to the next big event in your area and at the right time (when its slow) ask a couple of the sponsored pilots how they got sponsors (if they will even tell you?), I would bet none sent a video anywhere.
I know a kid who is sponsored by a couple companies and he got them because he flies EVERY day and is very good, but most importantly he was 15 when he got sponsored. Companies love to sponsor kids but they must be good and go to a lot of events. His first item he actually asked to buy and it was basically given along with much more and that grew into, more rc stuff, shirts, hats, props and yes even cash.

The last way I know to get sponsored is to beg... no just kidding.
If you really want to get a sponsor (in my opinion) you need to buy a suitable airplane and go to every event you can, compete and practice so you are good, then you will be having so much fun you wont care if you are sponsored and they will come to you.
Fixed Wing has a good idea for a plane, tell everybody what you have flown, how you placed etc... Or go to your local club?

Hay good luck..

Mike
rcplane is offline Find More Posts by rcplane
Old 09-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by 66stang
Fly it like you hate it!
Collinsville, IL
Joined Jan 2006
4,925 Posts

Dude you really can't be for real!
66stang is offline Find More Posts by 66stang
Old 09-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Bombers Rock the World
Wichita Falls, TX
Joined Jan 2006
66 Posts

Well guys, I appriciate the feedback that everyone has submitted. You never know what can happen unless you throw it out there. Obviously this is one of the most retard ideas that I have come up with (right 66stang), and now feel like I have completely imbarrassed myself. In no way was I intending to take advantage of anyone's good graces, or the "VIBE" found here on the giants. I have not flown at any IMAC events to date, nor have I spent the time to get my name out there. Mike you have been a giant source of knowledge on this topic, and I truly appriciate your input throughout this whole ordeal. Guess it's time to go hang out at some big events!

Anyone wanna fly at an airshow in OCT!?!?! :-)
Old 09-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Find More Posts by rdgood
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Jan 2006
2,055 Posts

Scotte,

Dude - your 16, ya got time. Stay with it - do not give up!!!!!

Get established in the IMAC/3D discipline... then burn alot of gas..

You'll get there - just don't let the chicks get in the way of your dream!!!

Ronster
rdgood is offline Find More Posts by rdgood
Old 09-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Find More Posts by Cracky
WHATS CRACKALAKIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wentzville, MO
Joined Jan 2006
9,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgood View Post
Scotte,

Dude - your 16, ya got time. Stay with it - do not give up!!!!!

Get established in the IMAC/3D discipline... then burn alot of gas..

You'll get there - just don't let the chicks get in the way of your dream!!!

Ronster

16 is actually his post count
Cracky is offline Find More Posts by Cracky
Old 09-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Find More Posts by Temptation
Lawn Dart Pilot
Lenox Twp. MI, United States
Joined Jan 2006
1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
Anyone wanna fly at an airshow in OCT!?!?! :-)
Scotte, since you are in Texas you may be in luck. Texas actaully has quite a good talent pool of giant scale pilots to choose from. Offering someone a chance to fly in an airshow would be good for both of you. I believe this is a lot better approach. Just think of the friendships that could be built from an offer like the one you just put out. If I was in Texas I would take you up on your offer. Good luck.
Temptation is offline Find More Posts by Temptation
Old 09-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Find More Posts by Mr.Pickle
Suspended Account
Greenville SC
Joined May 2006
1,064 Posts

If I lived in TX., I too would take up on your offer! "after a couple of private demo flights for me of course" but only to show your up to the task. Best of luck to ya on your endevour.
Mr.Pickle is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pickle
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)

Quick Reply