logo
Old 11-30-2017, 06:58 PM
Find More Posts by DKSnyder1
United States, CT, South Windsor
Joined Aug 2015
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoffman View Post
Since I use an idle up switch for flying and down for landing, the slight down elevator is only engaged when the idle up switch is engaged and disabled for landing. Kudos Tyler McCormack for showing me this one!
"Idle Up" for flying...?
Do you use a 3 position switch:
Idlle Up/Normal idle/Idle down?
Or do you mean just Normal Idle with Down Elev. mix and a switch to Idle Down without Down Elev. mix on a 2 position switch?

Sounds like a good idea... just not sure how to set it up.
DKSnyder1 is offline Find More Posts by DKSnyder1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-30-2017, 07:09 PM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,567 Posts
Many airplanes will also show a very slight right roll on extended down lines but it is very small and hard to notice on anything less than an exaggerated LONG down line.
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker
Old 12-01-2017, 04:12 PM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2009
11,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKSnyder1 View Post
"Idle Up" for flying...?
Do you use a 3 position switch:
Idlle Up/Normal idle/Idle down?
Or do you mean just Normal Idle with Down Elev. mix and a switch to Idle Down without Down Elev. mix on a 2 position switch?

Sounds like a good idea... just not sure how to set it up.
No, just 2 position. It is a throttle to throttle mix, 5% up for flying. Also, when the switch is the other way (lower idle for landing) the down elevator mix is disabled.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 12-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Joined Aug 2015
138 Posts
Quote:
No, just 2 position. It is a throttle to throttle mix, 5% up for flying. Also, when the switch is the other way (lower idle for landing) the down elevator mix is disabled.
hmmm... let me see.....
For normal flying you have a throttle mix that adds some down elevator at very low throttle settings. (Your "throttle down" switch is "UP)

Then for landing you move "throttle down" switch to down.... reducing the throttle setting at min idle.

How does that disable the down elevator resulting from the throttle mix?
Old 12-01-2017, 10:10 PM
Find More Posts by torquen
Lodi, Ca. USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,650 Posts
Quote:
hmmm... let me see.....
For normal flying you have a throttle mix that adds some down elevator at very low throttle settings. (Your "throttle down" switch is "UP)

Then for landing you move "throttle down" switch to down.... reducing the throttle setting at min idle.

How does that disable the down elevator resulting from the throttle mix?
He has two programs on one switch. He flips the switch to idle up so while flying his engine does not die. In this position he also has the down elevator mix activated when the throttle stick is pulled back to idle.

When he is coming in for a landing he flips the switch back to landing mode. This allows the engine to come to a full idle and also cancels out the elevator mix.

Me personally I don't have the elevator mix on a switch. It usually only takes about 1.5% on my planes so during landing I don't notice it.
Garrett
torquen is offline Find More Posts by torquen
Old 12-01-2017, 11:11 PM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2009
11,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquen View Post
He has two programs on one switch. He flips the switch to idle up so while flying his engine does not die. In this position he also has the down elevator mix activated when the throttle stick is pulled back to idle.

When he is coming in for a landing he flips the switch back to landing mode. This allows the engine to come to a full idle and also cancels out the elevator mix.

Me personally I don't have the elevator mix on a switch. It usually only takes about 1.5% on my planes so during landing I don't notice it.
Garrett
Well said, excellent description. I may have 3% on the idle down switch, but results may vary.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 12-03-2017, 09:00 AM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
Many airplanes will also show a very slight right roll on extended down lines but it is very small and hard to notice on anything less than an exaggerated LONG down line.
This is very true and the reason some folks exit a down line "off angle" and it should be mixed out as well. After all, perfect is close enough!!
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Old 12-04-2017, 01:31 PM
Joined Aug 2015
138 Posts
Quote:
Well said, excellent description. I may have 3% on the idle down switch, but results may vary.
so, when I switch to Low Throttle for landing it "automatically" cancels the down elev that was mixed to "Idle Up"?

Why doesn't the throttle to elevator mix remain even when I switch to Low Throttle?

I'll have to go experiment with my Futaba T8FG radio.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:52 PM
Lodi, Ca. USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,650 Posts
Quote:
so, when I switch to Low Throttle for landing it "automatically" cancels the down elev that was mixed to "Idle Up"?

Why doesn't the throttle to elevator mix remain even when I switch to Low Throttle?

I'll have to go experiment with my Futaba T8FG radio.
Because he has it programmed to cancel out with that switch and position of switch.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:09 PM
Joined Aug 2015
138 Posts
Quote:
Because he has it programmed to cancel out with that switch and position of switch.
Are we talking about different things?
Is he using "Flight Modes"... where he has high idle and slight down elev. on low throttle on one flight mode and on another he has Low idle with NO down elev programmed?
My radio does not have flight modes (Futaba T8FG) ...I think....

I don't know how to program the radio to cancel out the down elev that is mixed to low throttle.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:15 PM
Lodi, Ca. USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Are we talking about different things?
Is he using "Flight Modes"... where he has high idle and slight down elev. on low throttle on one flight mode and on another he has Low idle with NO down elev programmed?
My radio does not have flight modes (Futaba T8FG) ...I think....

I don't know how to program the radio to cancel out the down elev that is mixed to low throttle.
You don't need flight modes to do that. On the mix it gives you the option of what switch you would like to use and also what position you want it to function.
So if you have the idle up mix "throttle to throttle" set to one switch then just put the elevator to throttle mix on that same switch.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:15 PM
Joined Aug 2015
138 Posts
Quote:
You don't need flight modes to do that. On the mix it gives you the option of what switch you would like to use and also what position you want it to function.
So if you have the idle up mix "throttle to throttle" set to one switch then just put the elevator to throttle mix on that same switch.
Allllright... I got it!!!
Good fix! It took me a while to understand what you guys were talking about.
Thanks Torquen & Ghoffman & of course thanks Tyler McCormack!

Quick Reply