logo
Old 09-16-2019, 08:23 AM
Find More Posts by royalstar05
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Aug 2019
3 Posts
Discussion
DA50 gas

I am new to gas been flying electric I have heard a bunch of different thing about the gas you should be using. The engine is broken in is there a brand and octane you like over an other Thanks
royalstar05 is offline Find More Posts by royalstar05
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-16-2019, 08:35 AM
Find More Posts by carrid02
Abilene, TX
Joined Jan 2006
1,238 Posts
I think the DA manual says regular unleaded... no serious gains flying premium. Personally, I like using aviation fuel (no ethanol) and redline 40:1 (that oil is also in the manual... highly recommended by DA)

So... 100LL and redline for me. Engine operates wonderfully, stays clean, doesn't spit black stuff out the exhaust and will fire right back up season after season.

-Craig
carrid02 is online now Find More Posts by carrid02
Old 09-16-2019, 08:38 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,492 Posts
Boy you just open a can of worms....you'll need pop corn and soda ! You will get 50 different answers . Some use high end fuel and oil ...others use whatever is cheapest. I personally use 87 octane and a quality name brand oil at 32/1 and have never lost an engine. I fuel My weed whacker from the same fuel can and it's still running after 18 years.
ponyboy082662 is online now Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 09-16-2019, 08:47 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,110 Posts
the other day I heard the field gas guru tell someone never to use cheap gas - like Arco. Well, I use Arco 87 regularly in all of my engines, DLE and DA. They run fine. Over the years I have used gas from countless different pumps and can't say I've ever noticed a difference.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 09-16-2019, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by ROFF
United States, TX, Heath
Joined Oct 2015
152 Posts
The station half way between my house and the flying field has the absolute best gas.
ROFF is online now Find More Posts by ROFF
Old 09-16-2019, 02:21 PM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
613 Posts
yeah... by the time a thread like this runs its' course, you'll chase your tail trying to follow all the ways and reasons.

For me, I just use regular unleaded pump gas at my local convenience store, and Redline oil mixed 40:1. That's worked very well in several engines for many years.

I will say do yourself a favor and get a mixing cup(Ratio-Rite), usually available anywhere Redline oil is sold. I get my Redline from a local Cycle Gear location... and I know they have the cup, as well as any motorcycle shop would have both oil and cup. I heard Napa has the oil too.

I believe that mixing cup is your best friend though, getting that ratio consistent is important... and although you can do math and try to measure quantities with a measuring cup, the Ratio Rite takes all that and makes it very easy to mix different ratios and different quantities. Just a thought there since you're new to gas engines.

Check it out... http://ratiorite.com/
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old 09-25-2019, 07:08 AM
Find More Posts by Pilotpete
Lyndonville, VT
Joined Nov 2008
1,059 Posts
The Valero station 1/2 mile from the field sells 91 octane ethanol free at a decent price, so that's what I've been running with Redline at 32:1, since I fly only smaller displacement engines ranging from 15cc to 35cc
+1 on having a Ratio Rite cup!
Pete
Pilotpete is offline Find More Posts by Pilotpete
Old 09-25-2019, 02:06 PM
Find More Posts by jharkin
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2007
716 Posts
Pump regular gas and any oil that meets DA minimum specs is fine.

Most of our hobby 2 strokes do not run high enough compression to actually benefit from hi octane - in fact the opposite is true and you will make more power on lower octane. I know some guys who run Coleman lantern fuel (55 octane naptha) to avoid the gas smell in the house and their engines rev a bit higher on that vs. the 87 octane regular I use. I've seen it first hand.

I make no effort to go looking for ethanol free. 20 years in the hobby and Ive never had to rebuild a carb due to bad gas. Most of the ethanol horror stories on the web are misinformed urban legends ..

And I'd avoid avgas simply because I dont like breathing in neurotoxins

Its your money if you want to spend extra on premium, race fuel, avgas or Trufuel/VP gas in a can but dont fool yourself that the money is buying more performance.
jharkin is offline Find More Posts by jharkin
Old 09-25-2019, 03:37 PM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Feb 2013
2,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharkin View Post
Most of our hobby 2 strokes do not run high enough compression to actually benefit from hi octane - in fact the opposite is true and you will make more power on lower octane.

Right on!
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Old 09-25-2019, 08:02 PM
Find More Posts by rocket_33
Joined Jan 2012
216 Posts
I use VP Small Engine Fuel premixed 40:1 in all of my gas engines with no issues
rocket_33 is offline Find More Posts by rocket_33
Old 09-25-2019, 08:45 PM
Find More Posts by 3DJP
United States, NJ, Penns Grove
Joined Dec 2015
1,131 Posts
Do you happen to know what it was broken in on? Just keep it on the same mix.. I personally run 91 Octane from Sunoco Redline 40:1 and everything stays happy!
3DJP is offline Find More Posts by 3DJP
Old 09-26-2019, 06:19 AM
Find More Posts by Whiskey Bravo
7 KCAB driver
Waterloo, Iowa
Joined Jul 2006
92 Posts
I am hesitant to post in this thread as we all know how they have a tendency to wonder. However, I am curious about the recommended octane ratings in DA engine manuals. I have typically used 87 in all my gas burners without issues including DA 50s however DA 35 and 60 engine instructions (ya I actually read them) indicate in capital and underlined letters to use premium fuel. Perhaps because they have higher compression and need it to avoid preignition? I do not want to mix and carry two different fuel containers soooo the easy answer is run 91. Anyone here run 87 in their DA 35 or 60 engines and if so what have you experienced?
Let the games begin.

Not to brag or anything but I can forget what I'm doing while I 'm doing it.
Whiskey Bravo is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Bravo
Last edited by Whiskey Bravo; 09-26-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,110 Posts
I’ve been running my DAs on 87.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 09-27-2019, 06:33 AM
Find More Posts by KMatch
United States, TX, Bay City
Joined Nov 2016
598 Posts
DAs will be happy on anything out of a store's gas pump and any well known non-bargain basement air cooled oil. Simple.
KMatch is offline Find More Posts by KMatch
Old 09-27-2019, 10:15 AM
Find More Posts by Whiskey Bravo
7 KCAB driver
Waterloo, Iowa
Joined Jul 2006
92 Posts
I decided to query the man who designs/manufactures these engines. Here is his response.
"The engine designs vary. Some have higher compression, different timing, different port timing, and different combustion dome configurations."
Thanks
Dave
Simple.
Whiskey Bravo is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Bravo

Quick Reply