logo
Old 02-24-2017, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by lesternick
United States, AL, Lawley
Joined Aug 2009
95 Posts
Many years ago at Toth Stagefield at Ft Rucker, Alabama a friend asked me to hold his airplane. I don't recall the name of the plane but it was a small delta wing w/a piped rossi .40. The airplane had a single wheel LG and no tailwheel and a JR radio on 72 mhz. I knealt down grabbed a wing and held on as he went full throttle. He yelled ok and I let go - the airplane shot across the runway, got airborne and then rolled up in a broken ball. As I stood to my feet I saw that I had been kneeling on his antenna.
lesternick is offline Find More Posts by lesternick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-24-2017, 11:19 PM
Find More Posts by flyerman
United States, AL, Troy
Joined May 2014
264 Posts
Too funny! LMAO. A good one. Do you laugh or cringe every time you think about it?
flyerman is offline Find More Posts by flyerman
Old 05-05-2017, 05:30 AM
Find More Posts by lonestoner
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Nov 2008
32 Posts
Was flying my tiger sixty all summer then on the last flight of the season I landed and brought her toward the pit area then for some some strange reason I decided to take off again and took off lifted up to early and stalled with engine running full speed . The plane cartwheeled broke the wing off and and fuselage in half ,
I just said f- it and put the whole thing in the trash
lonestoner is offline Find More Posts by lonestoner
Old 05-11-2017, 11:49 AM
Find More Posts by ml82232
United States, NE, Wahoo
Joined Oct 2013
222 Posts
Landing

Last year I was spotting for a fellow club member when he was maidening a new Cub
He made a great take off a couple circuits then did a loop
At the top the wing departed
I yelled out LANDING as the bird was coming strait down
Gave him something to talk about for a year
Last month I was maidening a new Cap that I just got
Only other person there was the guy that lost the Cub
on my second flite guess what My wing came off
As it was coming down I turned and looked at him
And said Well are You going to say it you are supposed to be spotting for me
He smiled and then yelled LANDING
As mad as I was about my crash All I could do was laugh
ml82232 is offline Find More Posts by ml82232
Old 05-12-2017, 10:14 AM
Find More Posts by rclad
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2016
168 Posts
Plane saved by ... a hotel?

When I was just learning to fly RC planes I had a sailplane by Mark's Models called the Wanderer. I was flying off Redondo Beach in California. There was only a narrow strip for landing, with a steep bluff down to the beach in front of us and a busy four lane road behind us. It was here that an experienced pilot gave me the hands on guidance (no buddy box) that enabled me to make that connection between stick and plane.

It was a thrilling moment when the plane became an extension of my hands and came under my complete control. I got so engrossed in flying I didn't watch the time. The receiver battery finally ran down and I lost control of the plane. What happened next is nothing short of magic, or just dumb luck.

The plane was flying straight and level over the bluff, about thirty feet in front and above me. After the plane lost contact, the wind turned it back over the street behind me, over cars, power poles and street lights, but straight for a hotel on the other side.

I watched in helpless fascination as the Wanderer found a pocket of dead air where two sides of the hotel met in a corner (like the inside corner of the American Red Cross symbol). The sailplane turned back facing the bluff again and just descended slowly, wings level, as if catching an elevator down to the first floor. It landed softly in a patch of grass next to the hotel, completely unscratched.
rclad is offline Find More Posts by rclad
Old 05-13-2017, 02:14 PM
Find More Posts by Luchnia
Word up!
United States, VA, Amelia Court House
Joined Oct 2010
2,356 Posts
There is one that stands out to me. Many years back I remember this guy came to the field with a brand new plane. Someone said he had around 3 grand in it. It was beautiful. His buddy kept asking him if he needed his help in maidening the plane since he had not flown in a while. All he said was no. His buddy asked him a second time, maybe even a third time. He was really concerned.

He still said no and proceeded to get the plane ready for take off. He taxied down the runway and then turned and threw the throttle to it. The plane did about two really weird porpoises like it was a roller coaster and then dove into the ground about 150-200 feet down the runway at full throttle.

As you can imagine the plane was a real mess. You could tell the fellow was angry. He went over got the plane and parts and his buddy went along to assist and I think a couple other guys. Once back to his truck he threw it all in and started jamming his fist through the parts!

I will never forget that scene that day. Since then other crashes have seemed somewhat uneventful.
Luchnia is offline Find More Posts by Luchnia
Old 05-13-2017, 05:20 PM
Find More Posts by edwinracme
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2013
169 Posts
crash

a guy in our club had a sig suqoi built heavy flew it around 4 or 5 laps landed and with it still running walked out and stomped the plane on the runway that was 6 years ago to this day I wont fly if he is on the field
edwinracme is offline Find More Posts by edwinracme
Old 05-15-2017, 03:00 PM
Find More Posts by old nitroman
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Mar 2015
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinracme View Post
a guy in our club had a sig suqoi built heavy flew it around 4 or 5 laps landed and with it still running walked out and stomped the plane on the runway that was 6 years ago to this day I wont fly if he is on the field
LOL Boss may years ago had a lawnboy mower, every time he hit tall grass it would die, then he pulled and pulled to get it running. Then one day he had enough, with it running came into the shop and asked to borrow a very large ballpeen hammer, he beat that poor lawnboy to death, even ripped the engine off the deck. I had to hide. I was laughing so hard I was in tears.
old nitroman is offline Find More Posts by old nitroman

Quick Reply