Old 12-10-2019, 09:56 AM
Find More Posts by Speed Freak
United States, NC, Kernersville
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DJP View Post
Can i ask why you are switching?
It started with a 35% plane that flew away on a powersafe receiver and DX18 Trans. I sent everything in to Horizon and I was not at all satisfied with their findings. Since then I have been doing a lot of research on brown outs and losses of signal on Spektrum. Finally I had a very good conversation with a guy that I trust and total respect. He has worked in the Hobby for years, been sponsored to fly, maintain and build/review product. With all of that I just don't have the faith in Spektrum that I once did. I will keep using it on bind and fly type less expensive planes but not on my Gas stuff. I know their are people on both sides of the argument but to me I think what ever you use you need to have faith that it will work when needed and I just don't have that faith anymore.
Speed Freak is offline Find More Posts by Speed Freak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-10-2019, 10:46 AM
Find More Posts by RobFB
United Kingdom, England, Gloucestershire
Joined Jun 2015
53 Posts
If you haven’t got this already can I recommend this book by Malcolm Holt he makes programming 16/18 SZ much easier to understand, available as a kindle download

https://www.amazon.com/Futaba-18SZ-P...5992631&sr=8-1
RobFB is online now Find More Posts by RobFB
Old 12-10-2019, 10:53 AM
Find More Posts by aalfawaz
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2015
1,301 Posts
Not sure I am following ?
You are taking things out of context?
Futaba doesn’t make a powersafe receiver except the 7018 which found to be not really powersafe that was the argument. Then you reply to my comment by posting a link for a power distribution unit as if it were a powersafe receiver made by Futaba. Then you post pictures of my setups showing a smart fly and a gyro 😂😂😂😂! You are all over the place I am not sure what is it exactly you are trying to show 🤣?
aalfawaz is offline Find More Posts by aalfawaz
Old 12-12-2019, 02:35 AM
Find More Posts by felker14
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Feb 2007
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Freak View Post
Hey Guys,
I'm going to switch over from Spektrum. I need to know a few things about the Futaba systems.
Picking up the 16sz
So when you are setting up an airplane that uses more than 8 channels what are you guys using? Do you just use multiple receivers? I know of the smartfly and power box type systems but is that necessity?

I have always liked the smooth throttle stick so I'm thinking of ordering the heli version. Should I be concerned about any of the software or any other setup problems using the Heli version for airplanes?
When I was flying trusty Futaba 12z (IMO one of the best if not best weight/balanced radio made) I would use 14 channel RX and this Smart Fly product https://www.smart-fly.com/powerexpan...nder-micro-14f on planes with higher current requirements.
felker14 is offline Find More Posts by felker14
Old 12-13-2019, 03:19 PM
Find More Posts by Colt
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2014
255 Posts
A newly rewired 40% Comp with (1) 14 channel Futaba RS6014HS Rx, (1) Booma dual switch, (1) AeroTech HV IBEC, (2) 4000mah LiFe batteries . Tx is a 16SZ.

I really found the Malcolm Holt book for the 16SZ great too, although I couldn't find a hard copy and had to get it on Kindle as well.
Colt is offline Find More Posts by Colt
Old 12-14-2019, 12:34 PM
Find More Posts by Speed Freak
United States, NC, Kernersville
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
I appreciate all the info your guys have offered. Can anyone Chim in on the use of the Sbus? I just saw a build that had a 4 channel receiver connected to an Aura pro in an 35% plane.
Speed Freak is offline Find More Posts by Speed Freak
Old 12-14-2019, 02:02 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Here are a couple of videos

What does the S.Bus system do? (3 min 27 sec)

Futaba S.Bus - FlyingGiants Video Tutorial (13 min 52 sec)

Basically it allows you to minimize the rat's nest of wiring, gives you greater control over the servo programming, and just basically makes it easier to install everything.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge

Quick Reply