logo
Old 03-01-2019, 12:07 PM
Find More Posts by gva1956
United States, WA, Goldendale
Joined Jul 2012
7 Posts
gyro on rudder

The WWI planes have had a reputation of being hard to handle on take offs and landings.
With this in mind would a gyro on the rudder be of significant help for those of us with a slow left thumb?
gva1956 is offline Find More Posts by gva1956
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-02-2019, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by Adam Stang
Joined Mar 2019
12 Posts
E powered question for Ali

Ali,

What kind of flight times are you getting with the 65cc Rimfire on the 2 7000mah 6s packs...flying scale at low throttle? Also have you flown it on 2 5000mah 6s and just added some weight? What kind of flight time could one expect from that? Would the plane be too heavy if you ran 4 5000 6s packs to make 10,000mah 12s?

For what its worth my plan is to set up a throttle curve that limits the power to just over scale power (30ccish power) and try to maximize my flight times flying scale. I like the idea of adding weight to the nose with a big motor and putting the curve on a switch...just in case I get a wild hair and decide to hover a Fokker...wink wink!

Great job as usual! So glad you brought us a big, easy to assemble WWI bird!!
Adam Stang is offline Find More Posts by Adam Stang
Old 03-02-2019, 04:30 PM
Find More Posts by pipercub55
Joined Oct 2009
9 Posts
Engine Choice.....

How about the unique sound of the ENYA 240 VT ....that would be nice....
pipercub55 is offline Find More Posts by pipercub55
Old 03-02-2019, 05:04 PM
Find More Posts by Papa Sal
Papa Sal
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2016
42 Posts
Ali, Will a Torque Pro 70 c.c 4 cycle . fit in the cowl and fly this fine aircraft?
Thanks
Papa Sal is offline Find More Posts by Papa Sal
Last edited by Papa Sal; 03-03-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:22 AM
Find More Posts by marksp
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2013
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Sal View Post
Ali, Will a Torque Pro fit in the cowl and fly this fine aircraft?
Thanks
Do you really expect him to have any idea which TP engine you’re referencing? Then have time to research the specific measurements of that mysterious engine? Then sort out the precise offsets required to “fit”? Then determine the thrust based on some unknown prop to predict flight characteristics?

Suggest you wait another month before posting April’s Fool jokes
marksp is offline Find More Posts by marksp
Old 03-03-2019, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by Papa Sal
Papa Sal
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2016
42 Posts
marksp......yes! He already did that for me with a Saito FG 40. Thanks for your concern.
Papa Sal is offline Find More Posts by Papa Sal
Old 03-03-2019, 01:55 PM
Find More Posts by frank99
United States, AR, Sheridan
Joined Oct 2009
4,020 Posts
ca hinges for this plane ok??
frank99 is online now Find More Posts by frank99
Old 03-03-2019, 09:48 PM
Find More Posts by alex24
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Jan 2006
70 Posts
Check out the Fokker D.VII air to air video!!

Hangar 9 Fokker D7 - On The Fly air to air (2 min 42 sec)
alex24 is offline Find More Posts by alex24
Old 03-03-2019, 10:02 PM
Find More Posts by Adam Stang
Joined Mar 2019
12 Posts
I saw that earlier...great sound track and very creative video! Thanks for doing that and sharing!

That said...We really need a detail/feature video on this one...so many unanswered questions. The last several offerings from H9 (or any HH plane) has come with a video with Ali (H9 stuff) giving us the scoop on all the features, flight times, tips, etc. He is really good at getting people excited about his planes.
Adam Stang is offline Find More Posts by Adam Stang
Old 03-04-2019, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by Ali Machinchy
Ali Machinchy: Snr PD Hangar 9
Joined Jan 2016
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickVB View Post
Ali, based on your experience with the Evo 62, would you say that an older engine like a G38 or a Q40 would fly it? What was the weight situation with the Evo 62?
I have done all of the first round flying with the Evo 33 and it flew great. Still way more than scale power and fully aerobatic.... all of that with a much heavier first round model. Production models are considerably lighter.
I am sure a G38 or a 40 will fly it well ( Depending on your expectations )
I am actually not exactly sure what the final weight will be on production models with the Evo 62. We did a ton of work to lighten up the back end during the development stages, but we used the Electric mules for this testing. I am super happy that we managed to get it so both our EP test beds went from needing considerable nose weight ( 3 lbs + ) To needing zero. So I am hoping the same or there abouts for the EVo 62 version? Either way. Its very little nose weight for a WW1 model.
Regards Ali
Ali Machinchy is offline Find More Posts by Ali Machinchy
Old 03-04-2019, 09:24 AM
Joined Jan 2016
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gva1956 View Post
The WWI planes have had a reputation of being hard to handle on take offs and landings.
With this in mind would a gyro on the rudder be of significant help for those of us with a slow left thumb?
I am a big Gyro fan, so my answer when asked will a gyro help is always, a big huge yes ! Having said that. I enlarged the fin/ rudder on the D7 considerably over scale ( I am more about having a decent flying plane than winning Top Gun static ) So the H9 D7 is actually really well behaved in yaw. I find the challenge is more the narrow track U/C. I did look at making the gear wider, but I have seen this done before to other models, and it hurts my eyes too much! So be prepared for as much aileron work as rudder work. As long as you are going into wind on take off and landing, all is good!

Regards Ali
Old 03-04-2019, 09:33 AM
Joined Jan 2016
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Stang View Post
Ali,

What kind of flight times are you getting with the 65cc Rimfire on the 2 7000mah 6s packs...flying scale at low throttle? Also have you flown it on 2 5000mah 6s and just added some weight? What kind of flight time could one expect from that? Would the plane be too heavy if you ran 4 5000 6s packs to make 10,000mah 12s?

For what its worth my plan is to set up a throttle curve that limits the power to just over scale power (30ccish power) and try to maximize my flight times flying scale. I like the idea of adding weight to the nose with a big motor and putting the curve on a switch...just in case I get a wild hair and decide to hover a Fokker...wink wink!

Great job as usual! So glad you brought us a big, easy to assemble WWI bird!!

Thanks Adam, Glad you like it.

I worked with my team mate Gary Wright on EP set ups. My goal was to have both ends of the spectrum covered. I wanted a power set up that would allow me to pull away vertically if need be. But I also wanted a duration set up. My initial target was 10 min flights.. All while swinging a decent size prop ( close to scale )

The Rimfire 65cc set up on 12s is a beast. Where as the 170 is so efficient. I can pull away from a stationary vertical on the 65 and with the 170 on 10s 2P 10000's I am pretty sure we can get a 30 min flight!
The 65cc set up on 12s 7000's gives me a solid 9 mins of spirited flying with. I am really confident that with some considerate flying. I could hit 15 mins! ( another one to test when the weather gets a bit warmer )
I love the idea of a limiter BTW !

I have not flown with a 12S 4000. I did a 12s 5000 and no weight. It flew ok, but felt a little pitch sensitive.
I am confident that the platform would fly perfectly well with 4x 6s 5000's Our prototype model was 6 lbs heavier than production models and flew just as well. There is a lot of wing!

Hope this helps?
Regards Ali
Old 03-04-2019, 09:34 AM
Joined Jan 2016
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipercub55 View Post
How about the unique sound of the ENYA 240 VT ....that would be nice....
I 100% Agree! What an engine....

Regards Ali
Old 03-04-2019, 09:41 AM
Joined Jan 2016
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Sal View Post
Ali, Will a Torque Pro 70 c.c 4 cycle . fit in the cowl and fly this fine aircraft?
Thanks
Specs are a little scarce on this engine, but from what I could find. It looks like it will be a great fit.
I am going to whip the cowling off the front of our test beds later today and take some photos and measurements. I should have done this from the get go, but forgot.... Sorry. Hopefully that will help?
Weight wise. Its hard to put too heavy an engine on a WW1 subject. They have such short noses. Our D7 picked up the wide engine range simply because the first sample flew with an Evo 33 and needed 6 lbs of weight. The engine bay is pretty huge, so I decided to drop a 62 in there because I ran out of weight. It went really well and the 30-60cc classification stuck! So I see no issue with the 4 stroke you are asking about fitting and working in the D7. Its going to sound amazing, thats for sure!

Regards Ali
Old 03-04-2019, 09:57 AM
Joined Jan 2016
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank99 View Post
ca hinges for this plane ok??
I have used hundreds... Heck no! I should say thousands! of Cyno hinges on Hangar 9 models.
To date. I have yet to have one fail. maybe its because I fly them gently???

Regards Ali

Quick Reply