logo
Old 10-04-2018, 06:54 PM
Find More Posts by aviator_josh
United States, MI, Traverse City
Joined Oct 2018
2 Posts
Help!
1/4 Maule amphib build.

I'm wanting to build a 1/4 scale Maule amphib but I'm having some trouble getting started. THATS THE MAIN PROBLEM! where do I get started on building this? I've done a ton of research and have found the full scale dimensions. I'm just trying to figure out where to get started on the airplane. I just got done rebuilding a 1/4 scale Tayorcraft. I have not started from scratch before. So if anyone could help that'd be very well appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh from Michigan.
aviator_josh is offline Find More Posts by aviator_josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-05-2018, 06:21 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
9,772 Posts
AMA plans service has plans for a Maule that can be scaled up.
BarracudaHockey is online now Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 10-05-2018, 01:38 PM
Find More Posts by ta154
Canada
Joined Oct 2007
66 Posts
The plan from AMA (Model Aviation magazine) is for a 1/4 scale Maule, Lunar Rocket version.

No need to scale up.

Here're the details:

Jan. 1982 No.356 $24 Maule Lunar Rocket: RC 1/4-scale, spans 92 1/2 in., 5-ch., 1.2 cu. in., 2 sheets.

It also just so happens that Ikon N'West produced a 1/4 scale kit of the Maule, version M5, as I recall.

That may help if you could find that kit or the plans.

In either case, floats were not shown so you'd need to design your own mounting system.

The pic is from the plane in the construction article from Model Aviation.
ta154 is offline Find More Posts by ta154
Old 10-08-2018, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by Wrbrdluvr
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined May 2017
9 Posts
I happen to have a set of plans (probably those mentioned) as well as I managed to aquire an old Ikon N'West build. It required some substantil rebuilding that Im currently in the middle of. It came with both floats as well as wheels when I aquired it. I have some pictures from the original builder showing it mounted on the floats. The Ikon N'West offering is about half a step ahead of a scratch build but I can say it built into a very nice plane.
Id be very happy to answer any questions I can or send you pictures of my plane so you can see the floats and how they were mounted on mine. I will probably modify mine simply because I already had to reconstruct the fuse where the front float and wheels mounted. Mine was and is powered by a 270 saito twin. Should be a blast to fly.

I only have some parts of the original plans fron the Ikon N'West kit. I did compare some parts ( like the tail ) with the other full plans I have and they were different.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
Cheers, Kevin
Wrbrdluvr is offline Find More Posts by Wrbrdluvr
Old 11-05-2018, 02:02 AM
Find More Posts by aviator_josh
United States, MI, Traverse City
Joined Oct 2018
2 Posts
Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Is there a way to get in contact which each other that's a little easier than this because I haven't been on here in awhile hence the reason I haven't respjnded..thought I'd get a notification in my email if someone responded to me on here but I didn't
aviator_josh is offline Find More Posts by aviator_josh
Old 11-29-2018, 07:06 AM
Find More Posts by airsport
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Apr 2009
5 Posts
Maule M5/M6

Josh,
I'm in the process of doing a refurbish on my I'Kon Maule and would be glad to correspond with those interested. In the present configuration, it's a tailwheel aircraft without floats. I am interested to build floats for it. Powered with a Zenoah G38. Will most likely recover the plane with the Stewarts systems as non toxic and then paint. Planning now to redo the landing gear and rework the lights.
airsport is offline Find More Posts by airsport

Quick Reply