Find More Posts by Walid
Freewilly
Saudi Arabia, Riyadh Province, Riyadh
Joined Nov 2016
28 Posts
Help!
Canopy EF Slick 580 ripped off in mid flight

Dear all,

The Canopy for my EF Slick 580 105.5'', red / blue / white scheme was ripped off in mid-flight, screws are still attached and very tight. Plane landed safely.

I don't have canister and therefore the opening under the firewall is kept closed, I made 4 small opening in the bottom by cutting the covering on already designed opening so as to dissipate any pressure build up during flight. I was doing a crankshaft when the canopy got ejected.

1- EF and Northwest RC don't have this item in stock, any idea on where I can find the canopy, I really need it.

2- Should I open more in the bottom? or close the existing one I already opened, I cannot put another canopy to loose it again. What am I doing wrong here?

Appreciate your help..

Thx
Walid is offline Find More Posts by Walid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-05-2019, 11:40 PM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
desert racer
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2007
6,259 Posts
if the screws are attached how did it come off there are 4 screws.
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old 10-06-2019, 04:15 AM
Find More Posts by Walid
Freewilly
Joined Nov 2016
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboss/oc View Post
if the screws are attached how did it come off there are 4 screws.
As I have said, snatched means some parts remain attached by screws but the bulk of the canopy got broken and ejected during flight
Old 10-06-2019, 08:20 AM
Find More Posts by jln1320
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2015
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walid View Post
Dear all,

The Canopy for my EF Slick 580 105.5'', red / blue / white scheme was ripped off in mid-flight, screws are still attached and very tight. Plane landed safely.

I don't have canister and therefore the opening under the firewall is kept closed, I made 4 small opening in the bottom by cutting the covering on already designed opening so as to dissipate any pressure build up during flight. I was doing a crankshaft when the canopy got ejected.

1- EF and Northwest RC don't have this item in stock, any idea on where I can find the canopy, I really need it.

2- Should I open more in the bottom? or close the existing one I already opened, I cannot put another canopy to loose it again. What am I doing wrong here?

Appreciate your help..

Thx
Did you retrieve the canopy?
If you did maybe you can piece it back together.
My problem is that I can not keep the canopy screws from backing out and falling in flight, recently I purchased a new canopy from EF and on the first flight two screws fell out and ripped the canopy off, the two remaining screws stayed on but it tore the tabs off. Was able to retrieve the canopy and glued it back together.
Very stressful every time I fly this airplane because of this and yes, I have tried everything. Bonded washers, nylon bolts, thread locker, longer bolts, etc.
If all of your screws are still on the air frame sounds like the wood tabs failed.
Good luck finding a new one.
jln1320 is offline Find More Posts by jln1320
Old 10-06-2019, 08:53 AM
Find More Posts by atchfoot
United States, KS, Atchison
Joined Feb 2008
198 Posts
Fastest solution would be to purchase the canopy for the yellow/blue scheme or the Jase Dussia scheme. Scuff up the paint a little with fine sandpaper, mask off the clear portion of the canopy, and spray it with your rattle can color(s) of choice.
atchfoot is offline Find More Posts by atchfoot
Old 10-06-2019, 10:50 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,080 Posts
re the canopy screws...I gave up on the thumbscrews and went with the anodized caps from EF. that use a 3mm screw. not a problem since using them.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 10-06-2019, 10:57 AM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,044 Posts
First sorry for the loss but that must have been an impressive crankshaft. I use a metal washer next to bolt head and a rubber washer under that next to canopy. The squeeze of the rubber washer holds tension never had any loose. Rubber washer from hardware store
Festivus is offline Find More Posts by Festivus
Old 10-06-2019, 11:19 AM
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,044 Posts
First sorry for your loss on the equipment but that must have been a heck of an i.pressive crankshaft I use a flat metal washer against the head of the bolt with a rubber washer underneath it and the mashing squeezing of the rubber washer holds tension on it I've never had one come loose on either canopy or horizontal stab the rubber washers are sourced from your local hardware store
Old 10-07-2019, 08:27 AM
Find More Posts by Walid
Freewilly
Joined Nov 2016
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jln1320 View Post
Did you retrieve the canopy?
If you did maybe you can piece it back together.
My problem is that I can not keep the canopy screws from backing out and falling in flight, recently I purchased a new canopy from EF and on the first flight two screws fell out and ripped the canopy off, the two remaining screws stayed on but it tore the tabs off. Was able to retrieve the canopy and glued it back together.
Very stressful every time I fly this airplane because of this and yes, I have tried everything. Bonded washers, nylon bolts, thread locker, longer bolts, etc.
If all of your screws are still on the air frame sounds like the wood tabs failed.
Good luck finding a new one.
Thx, I did retrieve the canopy but is heavily damaged. I have actually told half of the story, this is the second time I'm losing the cockpit in mid-flight. First time it was my mistake, I did not tighten well the screws. I recovered and repaired the cockpit and flew again. Last week, it got ripped off during a violent maneuver. All the repaired and heavily glued section, basically where the four tabs are located was not affected, this is why screws remain attached, wood bar after this section got broken. I'm using EF anodized washer sets but you have to tighten it very well
Last edited by Walid; 10-07-2019 at 09:21 AM. Reason: correcting
Old 10-07-2019, 09:14 AM
Find More Posts by Walid
Freewilly
Joined Nov 2016
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atchfoot View Post
Fastest solution would be to purchase the canopy for the yellow/blue scheme or the Jase Dussia scheme. Scuff up the paint a little with fine sandpaper, mask off the clear portion of the canopy, and spray it with your rattle can color(s) of choice.
I may have to do it in case I don't get feedback by mid month. Thx for the advice
Old 10-07-2019, 09:18 AM
Find More Posts by Walid
Freewilly
Joined Nov 2016
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
First sorry for your loss on the equipment but that must have been a heck of an i.pressive crankshaft I use a flat metal washer against the head of the bolt with a rubber washer underneath it and the mashing squeezing of the rubber washer holds tension on it I've never had one come loose on either canopy or horizontal stab the rubber washers are sourced from your local hardware store
Impressive and expensive too

On the stab I have no problem, using the provided screws is working well. For the canopy, I'm using EF Anodized washers and again it is holding well. the fact that the canopy was ripped and broken is worrying.. Well I should consider discontinuing some maneuvers I guess
Old 10-07-2019, 01:50 PM
Find More Posts by deason
Old dog, New tricks
United States, TN, Munford
Joined Jul 2011
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walid View Post
Impressive and expensive too

On the stab I have no problem, using the provided screws is working well. For the canopy, I'm using EF Anodized washers and again it is holding well. the fact that the canopy was ripped and broken is worrying.. Well I should consider discontinuing some maneuvers I guess
Whatever type of canopy bolts that you use, make sure the have a rubber backing washer on them. This will prevent them from backing out and will stay tight.
deason is offline Find More Posts by deason
Old 10-07-2019, 01:54 PM
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,044 Posts
You should not have to discontinue maneuvers plane is advertised as great for XA and 3D. I have never tossed a canopy off of any of may pau aircraft and I am not a smooth flyer
Old 10-07-2019, 01:54 PM
Find More Posts by MarksHangar
I'm just "Miss Behavin"
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined May 2014
403 Posts
MarksHangar is offline Find More Posts by MarksHangar
Old 10-07-2019, 03:28 PM
Find More Posts by mk1_turbo
Jason
United States, CT, Wallingford
Joined Aug 2015
273 Posts
mine wanted to do this too. I caught it before it did and added the glue that should have blah blah blah
mk1_turbo is offline Find More Posts by mk1_turbo

Quick Reply