logo
Old 08-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by bubbagates
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts
Todays IMAC primer in Bridgewater NJ

Just got home from the primer and all I can say is WOW. We ended up with 20 people. Everyone, and I do mean everyone had great questions, they all had fun watching Stan do his practice, Both Stan and I flew a few planes for people and gave them suggestions.

Everyone I talked all said they learned something today. A couple had been to contests before and did not know why they were getting zero's on things, they now know. Kinda cool watching them when the light bulb went on and they realized what they were doing

Unfortunately we did not get to doing any flying on the Basic sequence. Do to all the questions and all the trim passes we just ran out of time.

I'd like to thank Stan Berger for coming out to help at the last minute and taking the time to work with a few of the guys as well as roaming around with his cameras, can't wait to see the pictures, Bob Both for actually putting it all together, the AMA district 2 VP for sending out the mass emails and all the club members that so graciously gave up some flying time so we could do our thing (quite a few of them could not believe that a 150 powered 40% plane could be as quiet as Stan's is. It all worked well and I believe we will see some of them at Milford and Blackdirt

Thanks again everyone, 20 people, that has got to be some kind of record and my butt is whooped
bubbagates is offline Find More Posts by bubbagates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Find More Posts by dmichael
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Jan 2006
1,047 Posts
Re: Todays IMAC primer in Bridgewater NJ

Nice! Way to go Bill and Stan. Thanks for taking your whole day to do this.
dmichael is offline Find More Posts by dmichael
Old 08-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts

Dave,

I know I had fun, though I'm far from perfect, I do love passing on what I do know and my reward is seeing what I saw again today, those little light bulbs going on and the most important one for me is the thanks I get.

I don't really want to speak for Stan but I do believe he actually enjoyed himself, I sure hope he did. He left smiling.

I like the idea of the awareness campaign idea.

One of the most comments I heard regarding the sound and 3=blade was they could not believe the power the plane still had and we were close to 90 degrees today with a bunch of humidity

The only negative on the day was the stupid biting horse flies, those in shorts had little blood marks all over their legs and that was with bug spray on, lots of bug spray

The field is beautiful but limited in flying space, Stan was able to just stay within the boundaries but there is no way that you can run advanced or Unlimited, even with the alternate sequences. You have roughly 1000 feet on the X axis and around 700 feet on the Y axis. You have trees on three sides but coming in from the left you can go between the trees. From the right you have to drop from about 75 feet to get to the runway and only have 600 feet of grass but decent overruns. Think Lums Pond on the cross runway but higher trees
Old 08-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Find More Posts by JPal101
United States, NY, Richmond County
Joined Nov 2006
543 Posts

Thanks again Bill for a terrific day, I learned a few things and will be fixing the problems we discovered today on my Edge 540 tomorrow. I would like to continue my learning process , can you reccomend a club or clubs in NJ area that welcomes IMAC flying
JPal101 is offline Find More Posts by JPal101
Old 08-16-2009, 06:45 AM
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPal101 View Post
Thanks again Bill for a terrific day, I learned a few things and will be fixing the problems we discovered today on my Edge 540 tomorrow. I would like to continue my learning process , can you reccomend a club or clubs in NJ area that welcomes IMAC flying
I'm not really familiar with that area. Stan Berger or Tony Bonanno could probably help you on that better than I can.

You could contact Stan via his website at http://www.stansphotos.com When you get to his website, click on his name on the first page, then click the contact link on the left side.

Tony's FG name is tonybons. He is away until the 18th. At least I think that's when he gets back
Old 08-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Find More Posts by FixedWing172
www.stansphotos.com
Monmouth County New Jersey
Joined Jan 2006
493 Posts

Bill I did have a good time and I do beleive we might see a few of those guys in IMAC soon. Thanks for your commitment in running this event and thanks to Bob Both for suggesting it. And thanks to all those $#@&ing bugs. I'm doing a lot of scratching today.
FixedWing172 is offline Find More Posts by FixedWing172
Old 08-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by FixedWing172
www.stansphotos.com
Monmouth County New Jersey
Joined Jan 2006
493 Posts

Couple of pics from the Primer
FixedWing172 is offline Find More Posts by FixedWing172
Old 08-17-2009, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by thaus
Flyin' Around
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Jul 2006
24 Posts

Bill, you did a super job explaining the rules, how to fly the sequences, how to trim, etc. Your enthusiasm is contageous. I will be at Milford and maybe Blackdirt.

I fly at a club field where there are great pilots but no interest in IMAC so it is very hard to learn the things you teach. I practice diligently but often the wrong manouver because no one knows how to read aresti. No one critiques straight and level , level wings, constant radius ,or proper heading, because they don't recognized it.

I think your next clinic should be video recorded and placed on the IMAC site. Just think this could save you 6 hours of driving and 8 of instruction each Saturday. In reality it would stimulate demand for your in-person appearance because it is done so well.

Ted
thaus is offline Find More Posts by thaus
Old 08-17-2009, 07:45 AM
Find More Posts by TheTank
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts

Sounds like you guys had a great time and learned a lot! Awesome Job Bill!!!!

Also, I am not sure if you guys had access to these as well, but they are great resources to help learn how to read Aresti. They are in several "sticky" threads at the top of this subforum, the first being "Aresti made simple":
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/fg192/
TheTank is offline Find More Posts by TheTank
Old 08-17-2009, 07:51 AM
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts

Thanks for the kind words Ted,

I actually thought about doing a video, but I found that I often need to adjust the flow on each Primer based on many different factors (total time, weather, different interests, etc...). I think that's important.

I can meet people that want someone to critique their sequences, I've done that as well, I like to get 3 or more for something like this and we run a mini-contest. I've done this twice now and it works well. The only thing I ask is that someone buy me something to eat/drink while I'm there, that's my only "fee". I also try to not travel more that 3 hours for something like this
Old 08-17-2009, 07:52 AM
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTank View Post
Sounds like you guys had a great time and learned a lot! Awesome Job Bill!!!!

Also, I am not sure if you guys had access to these as well, but they are great resources to help learn how to read Aresti. They are in several "sticky" threads at the top of this subforum, the first being "Aresti made simple":
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/fg192/
Thanks John,

Totally forgot about the sticky....

Quick Reply