logo
Old 03-11-2018, 08:56 PM
Find More Posts by Steam28
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Jan 2011
8 Posts
Discussion
OMP Extra 300 100cc (35%) wing blew apart in mid-air.

This happened back in Sep 2017. I was flying my OMP Extra300 100cc (35%) with a DLE111 and flying about 75% throttle. I moved the sticks hard (all the way) simultaneously on two surfaces aileron and I think elevator. At that moment the left wing blew apart in mid-air. I was able to fly her with minimal control for about 5 seconds with one wing lol.

Did I do something stupid or should a plane like this be able to handle that type of stress? I never pushed the plane like that before. The airframe was in excellent shape with probably 25 flights. You will notice in the pictures the wing tube is perfect after the crash. Perhaps the covering blew apart and started the failure?

Thanks.
Steam28 is offline Find More Posts by Steam28
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-12-2018, 08:00 AM
Find More Posts by 3ddave
United States, MN, Eagan
Joined Jun 2008
170 Posts
I have that OMP extra and have 100s of flights and set up about the same as yours. You didn't say anything about 3D rates but if it happened in that condition any brand model can and will disintegrate. If it was a factory defect that will be problematic at best.
3/4 quarter throttle and full low rate deflection is probably stressing the airframe and I wouldn't admit to doing it and maybe getting away with it. Get into High Alpha or Post stall stuff, less stress and a lot more fun.
Good Luck
3ddave is offline Find More Posts by 3ddave
Old 03-12-2018, 09:51 PM
Find More Posts by Raven1978
Fly low, wheels up !
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Sep 2015
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ddave View Post
I have that OMP extra and have 100s of flights and set up about the same as yours. You didn't say anything about 3D rates but if it happened in that condition any brand model can and will disintegrate. If it was a factory defect that will be problematic at best.
3/4 quarter throttle and full low rate deflection is probably stressing the airframe and I wouldn't admit to doing it and maybe getting away with it. Get into High Alpha or Post stall stuff, less stress and a lot more fun.
Good Luck

Dont know about the “Any brand model can and will disintergrate.” I have done numerous crankshafts, blenders and knife edge spins on Pilot models...one is even 8 years old. Not one issue with them thus far.
Raven1978 is offline Find More Posts by Raven1978
Old 03-15-2018, 10:13 AM
Find More Posts by old nitroman
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Mar 2015
851 Posts
Attachment 1105439 my ef 91" yak I pushed to hard, every airframe has a limit, some manufactures are better then others
old nitroman is online now Find More Posts by old nitroman
Last edited by old nitroman; 05-02-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:15 AM
Joined Mar 2015
851 Posts
Attachment 1105440
Last edited by old nitroman; 05-02-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:21 AM
Joined Mar 2015
851 Posts
either the covering came off or the wing tube broke threw the wing
Old 03-15-2018, 11:14 AM
Find More Posts by Colton
Now taking maneuver requests!
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Mar 2010
2,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam28 View Post
This happened back in Sep 2017. I was flying my OMP Extra300 100cc (35%) with a DLE111 and flying about 75% throttle. I moved the sticks hard (all the way) simultaneously on two surfaces aileron and I think elevator. At that moment the left wing blew apart in mid-air. I was able to fly her with minimal control for about 5 seconds with one wing lol.

Did I do something stupid or should a plane like this be able to handle that type of stress? I never pushed the plane like that before. The airframe was in excellent shape with probably 25 flights. You will notice in the pictures the wing tube is perfect after the crash. Perhaps the covering blew apart and started the failure?

Thanks.
You did cause this failure. But it's an honest mistake these days because there's no way you could have known any better.

Planes have changed so much in design and strength over the year that most modern airframes can handle stresses like that.

This aircraft was designed I believe about 10 years ago and at the time was on par with most other aircraft on the market. Back then you could not push a plane of this size that hard. There were limiting factors other than airframes back then that dictated this. One was engine size. 75-100's were all that really existed. The other was the fact that standard case size servo's hadn't really come up on power or killer gear trains yet.

So back when this plane was designed it was a more common knowledge that you were really not supposed to fly a 35%+ size plane at 3/4 or so throttle around in level flight unless it was setup for pure mechanical advantage for IMAC type flying. Back then if you were to just fly a straight level pass with an aircraft setup for 3D at 3/4+ throttle you would have very likely lost your plane just due to flutter because the servo's did not have enough power to hold center like they do today.

Hope that helps

Any modern aircraft from a reputable brand will take pretty much anything you can throw at it.
Colton is offline Find More Posts by Colton
Old 03-15-2018, 03:59 PM
Find More Posts by Steam28
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Jan 2011
8 Posts

I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond. Thanks.

Steam28 is offline Find More Posts by Steam28
Old 03-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Find More Posts by ronaldopn
Brazil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Dec 2014
338 Posts
Sorry for your loss, Steam, I had a similar one with my Edge 540 30cc although not comparable to yours in terms of cost.
I fly my planes very hard and never had experienced anything like that in thousands of flights. My Edge (which never crashed) had a major structural failure during a parachute maneuver (no power) so I believe it had a built-in construction failure point.
You can see the details and video of the crash here
Colton has a valid point, older planes were not designed with XA in mind.
Ronaldo
ronaldopn is offline Find More Posts by ronaldopn
Old 12-29-2018, 01:10 AM View Post
greensourceit
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). Show it to me anyway.

Quick Reply