logo
Old 05-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Find More Posts by mikeh
United States, WI, Green Bay
Joined Mar 2006
576 Posts
How do I setup an idle up mode with a 9303

I need some help here guys. I would like to setup my 9303 with a idle up mode. My goal here is to be able to use the idle up mode for flying and the hit the switch and have the idle come down for a landing mode. Right now I use a couple of up clicks on the throttle, when I am making my approach I then come down a couple of clicks. The problem with this is I some times come down to far and am risking a dead stick landing. Which could get me in trouble depending on the altitude of the plane.
thanks
mike
mikeh is offline Find More Posts by mikeh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Find More Posts by JagerBomb
St Peters Missouri
Joined Jan 2006
1,123 Posts
Re: How do I setup an idle up mode with a 9303

Do a throttle to throttle mix on a open PMIX. start around 10% and that will get you close

Mark
JagerBomb is offline Find More Posts by JagerBomb
Old 05-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Find More Posts by 1bwana1
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts

This is easy to do on the 9303. I use mix 6, and do a throttle to throttle mix which advances the throttle the desired amount. I assign the Left Lever rather than a switch. The lever is in a convenient position making it easy to operate. It is also progressive, which enables me to use all or some of the adjustment easily. This is sometimes useful with varying wind or altitude situations. Let me know if you need more detailed instructions on how to do it.
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Old 05-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Find More Posts by mikeh
Joined Mar 2006
576 Posts

Thanks for the help gentleman I will give it a shot.
mike
Old 05-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Find More Posts by cjcyclesrc
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Sep 2006
3,990 Posts

I set up an idle up using the Throttle Curve feature. Raise Point-L to get the desired rpm. I set the throttle curve active in Flight mode 2 and with the gear switch. When I switch to 3D flight mode the Idle-up and throttle curve are automatically activated. I can also turn on the idle up in the other two flight modes by flipping the Gear switch.
cjcyclesrc is offline Find More Posts by cjcyclesrc
Last edited by cjcyclesrc; 05-08-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
5,517 Posts

Mike,

Since you asked a question about JR programming in another thread I started, I'll offer a bit more information.

Not all switches are available for all mixes. So pick your switch then look for a mix that allows you to use that switch. You'll probably find one, but may not.

I use a throttle/throttle mix as noted above and wound up with about 6 or 7% difference and it's on the gear switch of my heli radio which I use to fly my "planks" as the heli guys call them....
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 05-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by Fly3DWithStyle
Earth
Joined Apr 2007
143 Posts

Here's some info I had from somewhere:

IDLE-UP MIXER
This mixer is used to increase the idle slightly to help insure that the engine does not flame-out during spins and other maneuvers that are performed at idle. The mix is turned on using the GEAR switch just after take-off and turned off when it is time to land. The amount of Idle-Up (increase in RPM) can be adjusted from the front of the TX to compensate for varying conditions without having to enter the program mix to make adjustments. The mixer will use the Left Digital Flap Trim lever located next to the FLAP switch as the Master and the Throttle channel as the Slave. The GEAR switch is used to turn the mixer on and off.
1. Select an unused Program Mixer (PROG MIX3, 4, 5, or 6)

2. Select LTRM as the Master.

3. Select THRO as the Slave.

4. Move the Left Flap Trim Digital Trim switch downward and hold it until it reaches its lower limit

5. Highlight and select Offset and set the value to –200. This should represent the Flap Digital Trim at its lowest setting which will cause the mixer to move only in 1 direction. This is to guard against the mixer lowering the idle by mistake and causing a flame-out.

6. Select the GEAR switch as the switch to turn the mixer on and off.

7. Move the GEAR switch back and forth while observing the number directly to the right of the program mix name in the upper left portion of the display. The number will change between 0 and 1 as the switch is moved back and forth. When the number is 0, the mixer is looking at the Pos0 values (not programmed yet) and when it is 1, the mixer is looking at the Pos1 values (also not programmed). Put the GEAR switch in the position where you want the Idle-Up to turn ON. Look at the number directly to the right of the Program Mix name. If it is 0, highlight and select Pos0 on the display. If it is 1, highlight and select Pos1 on the display.

8. With the GEAR switch still in the ON position, set the percentage to +15%. This will cause the throttle channel to increase 15% from idle when the mixer is turned on and the Digital Flap Trim is advanced upwards to full. If the Digital Flap Trim is lowered from full, say to ½, then there will only be 7.5% added to the throttle. This allows adjustment of how much the engine Idles-up when the mixer is turned on.

9. The mixer should be adjusted with the engine running and up to operating temperature. With a helper securely holding the aircraft, start the engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature. Make sure the Gear switch is in the OFF position so there is no Idle-Up at this time. Also lower the throttle stick to the full Low position.
Access the TRVL.ADJ function and position the throttle trim lever in its center detent. With the trim at center, adjust the travel of the throttle servo to achieve the lowest dependable idle for landing. This is referred to as Low Idle and you should have to perform this adjustment only once unless there are dramatic changes in atmosphere or a change to the mechanical portion of the throttle linkage. Exit the TRVL ADJ function.
9303 Program Mix Examples 3

Now turn the Mixer on using the GEAR switch. Move the Digital Flap Trim lever up or down to achieve the desired amount of RPM increase. Moving the lever up will increase RPMs and moving it down decreases RPMs.
Turning the mixer off with the GEAR switch causes the engine to return to Low Idle and turning it on increases the RPM according to the setting of the Digital Flap Trim.

10. Stop the engine and observe the throttle linkage. Turn the Idle-Up on and advance the Throttle to Full. Use the TRAV ADJ. Function to adjust/reduce the throttle travel at the high-end if there is too much throw with the Idle-Up on.

11. To use the mixer for each flight, start the engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature. Turn the Idle-Up OFF and use the normal throttle trim lever to set the engine to the lowest dependable RPM. Now turn the Idle-Up on to realize an increase in RPM for flying. Be sure to remember to turn Idle-Up OFF before attempting to land.
Fly3DWithStyle is offline Find More Posts by Fly3DWithStyle
Old 05-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Find More Posts by mikeh
Joined Mar 2006
576 Posts

I used the left lever for my Idle up. I really like it, it's more convenient than trying to set my throttle trim every time.
mike
Old 05-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Find More Posts by tailstrike4
Larry Shreffler
Las Vegas, NV USA
Joined Feb 2008
94 Posts

In your JR x9303 select the #6 mix Throttle to Throttle
Highlight the left Throttle and change it to LLVR
that will activate the left lever
Next rollover to position and highlight that, move the left slider up and set a value (I put in +4) you will see the throttle servo move up, bring the lever down and the throttle servo will move back to the low throttle setting.
You will have to do some fine tuning with the motor running of course.
tailstrike4 is offline Find More Posts by tailstrike4
Last edited by tailstrike4; 05-29-2008 at 09:08 PM. Reason: clarify thought
Old 05-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Find More Posts by Bob S
Austin, TX, USA
Joined Jan 2006
284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bwana1 View Post
This is easy to do on the 9303. I use mix 6, and do a throttle to throttle mix which advances the throttle the desired amount. I assign the Left Lever rather than a switch. The lever is in a convenient position making it easy to operate. It is also progressive, which enables me to use all or some of the adjustment easily. This is sometimes useful with varying wind or altitude situations. Let me know if you need more detailed instructions on how to do it.
I like this. I'm going to change mine from the switch to the lever. Thanks!
Bob S is offline Find More Posts by Bob S
Old 10-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Find More Posts by woody63
Woody's Aerobatics
Morristown, TN
Joined May 2006
174 Posts

One question, is there a way to set it so it only works on the low end and not the high end?
I noticed that it also added onto the hi end travel and I feel this could be a problem if it was a windy day and I had to use the full travel this would cause binding on the throttle if advanced to full throttle.
woody63 is offline Find More Posts by woody63
Old 10-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
5,517 Posts

Well I sold my X9303 when my 12X came so I can't go play with it and find out, but I will suggest that there is so little difference on the top end, especially with gassers in that final bit of carb opening, as to be inconsequential.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it's pushing the linkage to binding....
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 10-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Find More Posts by cjcyclesrc
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Sep 2006
3,990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody63 View Post
One question, is there a way to set it so it only works on the low end and not the high end?
I noticed that it also added onto the hi end travel and I feel this could be a problem if it was a windy day and I had to use the full travel this would cause binding on the throttle if advanced to full throttle.
Woody,

That is one of the reasons I use the throttle curve program to set the idle up. It doesn't affect anything but the low stick position. The radio has two throttle curves 0 and 1. I set curve 1 as my idle up. It takes less than a minute to do once you have done it a few times.

Steps to set idle up using Throttle Curves:
  1. Select "THRO CURV" from the lower left corner of the list menu.
  2. Select "Pos. 0" and change it to "Pos. 1"
  3. Select "SW SELECT" this will give you a list of 7 switches that can be used. Simply scroll though the switches and select which curve you want each of them to use. This is my set-up:
    • "FM 0" - "POS 0"
    • "FM 1" - "POS 0"
    • "FM 2" - "POS 1"
    • "AIL" - "POS 0"
    • "GER" - "POS 1"
    • "RUD" - "POS 0
  4. Check to be sure the switches you selected are working. The indicator at the top left of the screen will show you which curve is activated. It will change from "[ THRO CURV ] > 0" to "[ THRO CURV ] > 1"
  5. Select "Point-L" on the throttle curve and activate "[ THRO CURV ] > 1" using the switch you selected earlier in Step 3
  6. Start your motor and adjust the value of "Point-L" to the desired idle-up rpm and you are Finished!
I fly with a Helicopter Radio and set-up all my Planks and Shanks on 3 Flight modes with Triple Rates. I use FM2 as my 3D rate and I set the Idle up to activate when I flip to 3D rates. I can also activate the idle up in the other two flight modes by flipping the gear switch. One of my Friends uses the method pointed out earlier using the slide switch. He likes to be able to land the plane using the fine adjustment of the slider. I just prefer to flip to low idle and fly the plane to the ground. I have the philosophy if the plane needs more RPM's that is why you have a throttle stick.

This is my favorite way to set up a Idle-up, But that comes from one of those guy's that fly's both Heli's and Planes.
cjcyclesrc is offline Find More Posts by cjcyclesrc
Old 10-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Find More Posts by woody63
Woody's Aerobatics
Morristown, TN
Joined May 2006
174 Posts

Thanks I'll give that a try.
woody63 is offline Find More Posts by woody63