logo
Old 05-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Find More Posts by XJet
Uber Contributor
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
886 Posts
self-contained, flyable 2.4GHz spectrum analyzer

Just a heads-up for FG members who are flying 2.4GHz or who are contemplating the shift.

A while back I made a small batch of 2.4GHz spectrum analyzers (SA) which were actually snapped up straight away -- in fact there weren't enough to go around so I've been talked into making another batch.

This time I want to get an idea of how many people are interested so I can avoid making too many or too few.

These are a 2-part unit, the SA and data-logger in one small, lightweight part and the larger LCD display/interface in another. This allows you to put the SA into a model and fly it up to normal altitude so it can get the same view of the 2.4GHz spectrum as your model's receiver does.

The data obtained during this flight is stored to memory and can be replayed once you've landed the model and plugged the SA back into the display.

You can also use the SA to monitor and *record* the 2.4GHz activity at your field while you're flying. That way, any unexplained lockouts or crashes can be checked against the spectrum analysis for that period (by rewinding the recording) to see if the cause was interference or some other problem.

This is a self-contained system, no PC or laptop required and it's small enough to fit into your flight box. The SA/logger section weighs under 2oz and obtains its power from your receiver/power-expander if you're going to be putting it in a model to get an airborne-view of the band.

This is the kind of device that it would be worth having at any club where 2.4GHz is being used, if only for peace of mind. Also, anyone flying a large, fast, expensive model might find this a very useful way to check that the air is "clear" (especially if visiting an unfamiliar flying site) before they fly.

You can also leave it logging for extended periods at your flying field and then quickly identify if there's any unexpected activity on 2.4GHz during that period that might be cyclic and potentially interfere with model flying.

Finally, there's the ability to set alarms that will sound if noise on the band reaches a specified level of intensity -- something that might indicate it's unsafe to fly.

The last lot of these I made worked out at about US$200 each but that was a pretty small batch and so I paid unit-prices for the parts. If the demand is there for a larger batch, the price will definitely be lower due to the better break-point pricing on most parts.

I'm not making money out of these - they're priced on a "cost-recovery" basis.

If you want more info and to register your interest, please visit this page
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply