logo
Old 01-02-2017, 09:38 PM
Find More Posts by mytms
United States, TN, Limestone
Joined Mar 2006
218 Posts
Discussion
EME-120??? honest opinions

Anybody got any experience with them? Props used, RPM, Longievity ???? Experiencs, not brand wars please.
mytms is offline Find More Posts by mytms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-02-2017, 09:43 PM
Find More Posts by dusturbd
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2015
778 Posts
I don't have one of there 120 but I do have one of there 60 and a 70 and but have been great right out of the box so far so good
dusturbd is offline Find More Posts by dusturbd
Old 01-02-2017, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by JoeT
Racer, Flyer, Dad!
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2013
1,251 Posts
3 years so far flawless running engine, idles really well, transitions well, runs well, what's there to ask for. I've been running mine on canisters from day 1, broke in on Lawnboy ashless for 1 tank, and the rest flown on redline. Over 300 flights now, the only thing that ever went wrong with this engine is the RCEXL ignition failed at about 100 flights.

I'd gladly buy another one and highly recommend it.

It's been installed in my SU26 in my avatar.
JoeT is online now Find More Posts by JoeT
Old 01-02-2017, 10:35 PM
Find More Posts by krxprt
United States, MI, Davisburg
Joined Jan 2011
1,295 Posts
I have a 120 I bought used. Runs absolutely perfect great power(no pun intended) and very smooth. They also come with a WJ-71 carb. I run a 27x11 Falcon carbon. Bang for the buck these engines are it!
krxprt is offline Find More Posts by krxprt
Old 01-03-2017, 05:52 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,504 Posts
I have the 70cc twin....love mine...
I put Bowman's in day one.
ponyboy082662 is online now Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Last edited by ponyboy082662; 01-06-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:46 AM
Find More Posts by tande
United States, MI, Millington
Joined Sep 2008
1,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
3 years so far flawless running engine, idles really well, transitions well, runs well, what's there to ask for. I've been running mine on canisters from day 1, broke in on Lawnboy ashless for 1 tank, and the rest flown on redline. Over 300 flights now, the only thing that ever went wrong with this engine is the RCEXL ignition failed at about 100 flights.

I'd gladly buy another one and highly recommend it.

It's been installed in my SU26 in my avatar.
What he said! .....
tande is online now Find More Posts by tande
Old 01-03-2017, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,617 Posts
I've been flying the 120 for about three years now as well, about 30 gallons with stihl hp ultra at 50 to 1 through it so far. Idles nice and slow, transition's well, and puts out more power than most other off brand 120's I've seen. www.milehighrc.com is the best. The only problem I've ever had with mine was when a muffler cracked. I called Mike and had a brand new set of mufflers 2 days later!

I really like mine. It's confidence inspiring, starts easy, and runs great. I do recommend priming the carb before the first start to save some time flipping and pulling fuel from the tank.
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 01-05-2017, 07:22 PM
Find More Posts by TCarlile
United States, TN, Cookeville
Joined Aug 2012
11 Posts
I had the 120 in a H9 Beast running a 27x11 prop. I did replace the rings with a set from Bowman when the engine was new before it's first start. Never had any problems with the engine, it always started easy and ran flawless .
TCarlile is offline Find More Posts by TCarlile
Old 01-06-2017, 09:32 AM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
8,502 Posts
Ran one for about 18 months. A very simple engine to use. I installed Bowman rings in it, before the first run. Ran mine on 50:1 Sthil from day 1. I foolishly sold it and kept a DA 120.....

27x11, 28x9, 28x9.5, 29x9 all good props.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 01-06-2017, 12:10 PM
Find More Posts by Sbrentson
United States, PA, Ambler
Joined Apr 2016
120 Posts
Ok. I was going to write a essay about the merits of reporting that you replaced the stock rings with Bowman's rings out of the box, but I decided against it.

Instead I'm curious why the rings were changed and also if you performed the switch to just this brand of engine or to any engine you receive (including the aforementioned DA-120)?

It's probably also worth noting that Frank Bowman is retired. While there may be a dwindling stock of his exceptional rings available in someone's basement, they are, for the most part, a thing of the past.
Sbrentson is offline Find More Posts by Sbrentson
Old 04-19-2017, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by raydar
Joined Nov 2009
1,179 Posts
My EME 120 was a bit poor running for a couple of gallons, and I mean really poor but now past 5 gallons what a difference, it is getting really strong and like a Swiss watch with noticeable compression you only find in a good engine (those who know will understand).

Ran EME for three years and yet to be disapointed by the brand.
raydar is offline Find More Posts by raydar
Old 12-03-2017, 07:37 PM
Find More Posts by painlesstom
Plane Crazy
Joined Oct 2014
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrentson View Post
Ok. I was going to write a essay about the merits of reporting that you replaced the stock rings with Bowman's rings out of the box, but I decided against it.

Instead I'm curious why the rings were changed and also if you performed the switch to just this brand of engine or to any engine you receive (including the aforementioned DA-120)?

It's probably also worth noting that Frank Bowman is retired. While there may be a dwindling stock of his exceptional rings available in someone's basement, they are, for the most part, a thing of the past.
Frank retired, yes. His rings live on. He sold the business and all the equipment he used, and trained the new owner himself. So you can still get "Bowman" rings, I've gotten several from Frank and a couple from the new owner. Same results. Email message from Frank below.

"Dear Bowman's rings Customers,

I sold my business to Bjorn Baal in January 2017. I trained him myself on how to make the rings just like I did. He is doing a great job, and making excellent rings, and already sending his rings all over the world.
We thank you for all your years of trusting my rings, to fit and make your engine run even better than when you got them from the factory. Bjorn is hoping you will continue to use him as your piston ring replacement guy also.
Frank had about 35 years of experience that he had to cram into poor Mr. Baal’s head, Frank still is advising Mr. Baal, when he has a question regarding piston rings. Frank sold Mr. Baal the same 1951 Logan Lathe that he made his rings on for many years and this is what he trained Mr. Baal on.

Please get in touch with him at

[email protected]

Thank you again, for all your piston ring orders in the past,
Take care and God Bless,
Frank Bowman"

OH, and I've been flying a 38% Decathlon with an EME 120 for a couple years now, without the first problem. 28x10 Falcon. Also have an EME 60 that's been rock solid for over a year now, that's in my 31% Sbach.
painlesstom is offline Find More Posts by painlesstom
Old 09-13-2018, 12:40 AM
Find More Posts by cymaz
Joined Dec 2012
7 Posts
I have sent a few emails to Jeame at EME engines. He has always replied and tried to be as helpful as he can. Excellent.
cymaz is offline Find More Posts by cymaz
Old 09-13-2018, 09:35 AM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
8,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrentson View Post

Because most stock rings have excessive gaps, when installed into the cylinder. Bowman/Baal rings take care of that. Plus, stock rings take forever to break in.

I should have kept that EME 120 of mine. On par, power wise with my RCGF 120.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 09-13-2018, 11:13 AM
Find More Posts by Luchnia
Word up!
United States, VA, Amelia Court House
Joined Oct 2010
2,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funboy View Post
I've been flying the 120 for about three years now as well, about 30 gallons with stihl hp ultra at 50 to 1 through it so far. Idles nice and slow, transition's well, and puts out more power than most other off brand 120's I've seen. www.milehighrc.com is the best. The only problem I've ever had with mine was when a muffler cracked. I called Mike and had a brand new set of mufflers 2 days later!

I really like mine. It's confidence inspiring, starts easy, and runs great. I do recommend priming the carb before the first start to save some time flipping and pulling fuel from the tank.
Definitely a good report for EME engines. 30 gallons is substantial. I came so close to pulling the plug last year on an EME, but opted out and got another DA 120 (mainly because I ran across a good deal on the DA).

What I have read about the EME engines certainly reads as top notch and no doubt MileHigh is a great dealer! You rarely see those horror stories about EME that you might see with some of the other chiamese engines.
Luchnia is offline Find More Posts by Luchnia

Quick Reply