to remove ads between posts
Old 10-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Find More Posts by HuckinChikn
just wanna FLY!
St. Louis
Joined Jul 2006
2,582 Posts
Re: DIY Hot Wire Foam cutter build!

thanks dudes! I hear ya bro, theres ALWAYS somthing to do when your a family man lol
I cant even get ONE airplane painted and built because my kids are taking up EVERY spare
minute that i have lol its all good though, I wouldnt trade it for ANYTHING!

Tomas,
Im definately going to start milling one of these days. im wanting to cut some wings for an osiris,
and mill the crap out of it:-) my last milled osiris was PIMP...it wieghed right at 4oz WITH the battery,
and it flies AMAZING! Ive had it for 2 seasons now, and I still fly the hell out of it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3beatz View Post
Looks good Jared, I bet it will fly good too... I got so much going on right now I won't be able to get to mine for another week or so. I'm building a friends Sbach and my girlfriends parents are coming in town this weekend. Hopefully I can't get to my Yak pretty soon. There's always something to do with the kid also!!! but I know you got it double time now! LOL
HuckinChikn is offline Find More Posts by HuckinChikn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Find More Posts by T_Simatovic
Team Horizon
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Jan 2010
3,889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuckinChikn View Post
thanks dudes! I hear ya bro, theres ALWAYS somthing to do when your a family man lol
I cant even get ONE airplane painted and built because my kids are taking up EVERY spare
minute that i have lol its all good though, I wouldnt trade it for ANYTHING!

Tomas,
Im definately going to start milling one of these days. im wanting to cut some wings for an osiris,
and mill the crap out of it:-) my last milled osiris was PIMP...it wieghed right at 4oz WITH the battery,
and it flies AMAZING! Ive had it for 2 seasons now, and I still fly the hell out of it lol
i meant mill the airfoil... haha 4oz!!!??? jeeez!!!!!!!! are you putting helium sacs on that thing???!!!
T_Simatovic is offline Find More Posts by T_Simatovic
Old 10-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Find More Posts by scottiesoccer1
beavercreek, Ohio USA
Joined Sep 2006
66 Posts

Hey Jared the wings looks good man. Looks very similar to the wing your modeling it off of Glad to see that my full airfoil YakHoi has inspired you.

Scott Barnhart
scottiesoccer1 is offline Find More Posts by scottiesoccer1
Old 10-08-2010, 01:10 AM
Find More Posts by T3beatz
Build'em, Fly'em, Crash'em
St. Louis, Mo US
Joined Jan 2008
1,298 Posts

I have the "milled" airfoil in the works... Something like that... not really milled, I'll post picks when I get it done. I got some crazy Ideas for this foamy season.
T3beatz is offline Find More Posts by T3beatz
Old 10-08-2010, 12:24 PM
just wanna FLY!
St. Louis
Joined Jul 2006
2,582 Posts

Hey Scott! Long time no talk, how ya been bro?
Yes, your airfoiled yakhoi definately inspired me to get moving with my cutter
im glad I did too, im having alot of fun with this thing!
I dont want you to think Im trying to steal your design though!
the only thing i really borrowed from your wing design was the length of the wing panel,
and the length of the root. I kinda guessed at the taper of the wing, that all depends on where
I mount the fixed point of the cutting bow. if I put it more forward, say even with the leading edge
of the airfoil jig, i would have a just about straight leading edge, kinda like an edge 540 wing.
I drew the airfoil shape by hand. its a hair over 3/4 of an inch at the thickest part, and i
designed it to where it would taper down quite a bit to create a pretty sharp leading edge.
I'll be trying out several different airfoil shapes and sizes, i want to experiment to find the best
shape for each application.
Hey I also had a thought.... Have you ever tried to cut an airfoiled horizontal stab and elevator?
I wonder how that would work, and if it would make that much of a difference?

TJ i wanna see that milled airfoiled wing!!! take some pictures!!
Old 10-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts

Jared,
So when can I expect my wings for "proper" testing.
5 sets should do it.
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 10-10-2010, 02:42 AM
Find More Posts by Mooney_Driver
Flyin' Around
Ellensburg, WA
Joined Oct 2007
1 Posts

I am just starting to try to figure out how cut foam wings. All of the books and write ups that I have seen tell me that I need 2 people but that is not practical for me. I notice that Huckinchikn's bow pivots on the end rather than the entire bow moving through the foam blank. If one end is fixed how do you make sure that you cut at the appropriate rate? All the write ups I have seen on hot wire foam cutting say it is important to move at the same rate (percentage) through the foam. How do you insure that happens?

What is the correct temperature for the wire and how do you know when it is correct? How much current is it drawing when the heat is correct?

Thank you.
Mooney_Driver is offline Find More Posts by Mooney_Driver
Old 10-10-2010, 06:16 AM
Find More Posts by MODE 1
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney_Driver View Post
I am just starting to try to figure out how cut foam wings. All of the books and write ups that I have seen tell me that I need 2 people but that is not practical for me. I notice that Huckinchikn's bow pivots on the end rather than the entire bow moving through the foam blank. If one end is fixed how do you make sure that you cut at the appropriate rate? All the write ups I have seen on hot wire foam cutting say it is important to move at the same rate (percentage) through the foam. How do you insure that happens?

What is the correct temperature for the wire and how do you know when it is correct? How much current is it drawing when the heat is correct?

Thank you.

Morning cant sleep toothache does that to you.
Rate of cut is dependent on the heat of the wire and the density of the foam. Keep a forward tension on the bow and it can only cut as fast as the melting process allows. Too much tension will cause a high or low spot in the wings center because the center of the wire is traveling several inches behind the lead part of the wire at the root and tips in an arch pattern due to it being cooler than the tips. This is the hottest part of the wire as it is not cooled by the foam on both sides.

With a pivot bow you need to set the wing up by skewing the foam at an angle so the wire at the tip and root start point ends in the same way when the wire reaches the trailing edge...both at the same time. This will ensure your cut is accurate. Pivot bows don't work for a straight wing only trapezoidal.

Current and temp depend on the thickness of the wire and what you intend cutting. Blue foam takes more heat to cut than white. If you have the wire temp too high it will cut a groove much larger than the wires diameter. You want to set the rig up so your cutting the foam at wire thickness and not 3 or 5 times greater.

Longer wires (bigger bows) need more current to equal the correct temp ........a little experimenting is needed before going ahead.

I dont recommend this in case it fails for you but I sometimes 'catchup' on a lagging wire in the wings center by using a sawing action. This cools down the tip wire as it comes in contact with the foam allowing the center wire to catchup .......if that makes any sense?
MODE 1 is offline Find More Posts by MODE 1
Old 10-11-2010, 12:19 PM
just wanna FLY!
St. Louis
Joined Jul 2006
2,582 Posts

Thanks for that explanation Pete, I couldnt have said it better myself!
Sorry for the delay guys, I was pretty sick all weekend, did have a chance to do much of
anything.
I finished up the yak 55 i was building, and I got to test it out yesterday at the park. it was a bit
breezy outside so i couldnt get the full effect of the new wing, but from what I could tell, its
a real winner
Sleepy, all you need is 5 sets? i'll get started right away LOL Tell ya what, you call my wife
and convince her to let me go to the JR indoor Fest, and pay half of my way, i'll make sure you
get your wings... Just kiddin, i can cut you a set if you like. shoot me a PM
Old 10-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Find More Posts by illinoiswrx
illinois
Joined Jan 2006
32 Posts

i'll have 2 sets also since your so willing
illinoiswrx is offline Find More Posts by illinoiswrx
Old 10-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by T_Simatovic
Team Horizon
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Jan 2010
3,889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoiswrx View Post
i'll have 2 sets also since your so willing
OOOO!!! JARED!!! COULD I GIVE YOU DIMENTIONS, AND THE AIRFOIL I WANT, AND CAN YOU CUT A WING FOR THE PROTOTYPE OF OUR AIRFFOILED EAGLE 580???how much for 2 wings of eps?? were currently selling our milled and unmilled eagle 580, but its time for the proto of the airfoiled version... could you help me out?? can you control the amount of leading and trailing edge sweep? and can you do different airfoils? let me know man!!!! subscribed!!!!
T_Simatovic is offline Find More Posts by T_Simatovic
Old 10-13-2010, 12:14 PM
just wanna FLY!
St. Louis
Joined Jul 2006
2,582 Posts

LOL i can try to get somthing cut for you, but it might take a little time...Time is somthing i am VERY
short on these days lol
why dont you shoot me a PM with the dimensions and airfoil, and ill see what i can do, but i cant promise
i will have it done tomorow or anything, it might take a little time

I FINALLY managed to make another video of the cutter in action... Heres a link to the
youtube video:
hot wire foam cutter part 2 (3 min 53 sec)
Old 10-14-2010, 03:52 PM
just wanna FLY!
St. Louis
Joined Jul 2006
2,582 Posts

got to fly my airfoiled yak 55 again today, i gotta say, this thing is SWEET!
im very happy with the way the wing turned out.
Tomas, I got your message, but i havent had a chance to read it yet, sorry bro...
I'll go through it tonight, after i get home from a rehersal dinner im stuck going to...

My computer at home(im at work right now) caught a freakin virus, so until i get that fixed
im stuck using the internet on my iPhone and the computers here at work when I can.
i would use one of my laptops, but my acer notebook wont connect through WiFi for some
annoying reason, and my gateway needs a new battery... AAAAARRRGGGGG!!!!!
Old 10-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Find More Posts by 66stang
Fly it like you hate it!
Collinsville, IL
Joined Jan 2006
4,925 Posts

Jared, nice bro. Hey I asked for a day shift, you gunna be able to hook me up on an indoor flying site?
66stang is offline Find More Posts by 66stang

Quick Reply