logo
Old 11-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Find More Posts by Temptation
Lawn Dart Pilot
Lenox Twp. MI, United States
Joined Jan 2006
1,092 Posts
Re: NE Region IMAC Area!!!

Driving distance to contests is a deciding factor for me. I normally don't like to drive more than 5 hours to a contest, but don't mind up to 8 hours once or twice a year. I compete in pattern in District 4, which is Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, West Virginia, and Kentucky. We have had a contest in Jasper Indiana for the last three years, and I haven't gone to it yet. It is over an 8 hour drive for me, and for some reason they haven't had over 8 pilots attend. Not a very motivating factor. Some districts guys drive an average of 12 hours to their contests. I consider myself lucky that we have some many in what I consider close.

Next year I plan on competing in IMAC for the first time. This puts me in NC. That is one big region. I know next year I will only go to a few local ones that don't conflict with my pattern schedule, but I can't wait. I am still deciding on what class to fly in. Right now I am leaning towards Advanced, but not to sure about the roller. I need to work on that one.

I just started flying my first big gasser this year, a 40% Carden Cap 232. That is what I will be flying IMAC with next season. Having a good solid pattern background should help, but I know the judging criteria is a little different, so I need to study up on the rules to make sure I don't get the two confused. Should be a lot of fun, and I hope the two different catogories help one another.

Mike Darr
Temptation is offline Find More Posts by Temptation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Find More Posts by BR289
Pro Pit Biotch
United States, PA, Whitehall
Joined Jan 2006
4,073 Posts

Getting clubs to close their fields for a competition is the hard part. Our club FINALLY hosted an event this past year. They seem to think its not worth it, they dont want to lose a weekend of flying no matter what.
Its good for a club to hold an event for more than one reason, but trying to convince them of that is hard, plus many feilds have to control noise, but they dont realize that many of the competitors have "Cans" or three-blade props to keep the noise down and that some of their own planes are probably louder!
If you have any "Say" in your club, and want to host an IMAC event...by all means check it out and contact the proper people.
Blair
BR289 is offline Find More Posts by BR289
Old 11-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Find More Posts by TheTank
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
Hopefully,

Leyland will be a NC member in the upcoming months.
Dont say that! He has not been given permission to leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TheTank is offline Find More Posts by TheTank
Old 11-08-2006, 03:10 PM
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovermaster
Hey Tank! whats shakin man? So, whats the plane of choice for next year?

have fun
Not much bro. I think its gonna be a Dalton 300 for next year... 99% sure at this point which my trusty Yak as my backup.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:48 PM
Find More Posts by BDSBob
United States, NC, Kings Mountain
Joined Jan 2006
313 Posts

I'm in for NE IMAC in 2007. I have a H9 Ultimate that I am putting tuned pipes in. That will quiet it down a bit!

I also have a Carden CAP 232 with stock DA mufflers. I would rather fly my CAP but I think it would be to loud for some fields.
BDSBob is offline Find More Posts by BDSBob
Old 11-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Find More Posts by hovermaster
United States, VA
Joined Jan 2006
341 Posts

Ah, cool plane man... i cant wait to see fly it, i mean.. see it. lol

later
hovermaster is offline Find More Posts by hovermaster
Old 11-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Find More Posts by Tonybons
Tony the Knife
United States, FL, Windermere
Joined Feb 2006
260 Posts

I have a question regarding NE Contests. Do all events require canisters for noise reduction or is it based on the location? I have a couple of 40% Cardens with and without cannisters and need to decide what plane I will focus on for '07. Obviously it would be safer to just use the plane with cannisters but would like to know if it is mandatory.

Tony
Tonybons is offline Find More Posts by Tonybons
Old 11-12-2006, 11:10 PM
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybons View Post
I have a question regarding NE Contests. Do all events require canisters for noise reduction or is it based on the location? I have a couple of 40% Cardens with and without cannisters and need to decide what plane I will focus on for '07. Obviously it would be safer to just use the plane with cannisters but would like to know if it is mandatory.

Tony
I dont think any NE contests required cannisters/had noise restraints last year. I didnt fly at the Capi IMAC in MD, so I am not sure about that one. Next year, I think the only event with sound restrictions will be Salem, CT. I would recommend going with one of your planes with cannisters, since you can lose points for sound, and every point counts!
Old 11-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Find More Posts by dmichael
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Jan 2006
1,201 Posts

No field specific noise restrictions at the CAPI (PGRC is a racing club- that can get really loud). But we follow the IMAC noise rule guidelines/scoring criteria like all the other contests. No ground noise checks but in air scores.

Dave
dmichael is offline Find More Posts by dmichael
Old 11-13-2006, 12:06 AM
Find More Posts by Tonybons
Tony the Knife
United States, FL, Windermere
Joined Feb 2006
260 Posts

Thanks John and Dave,

If I understand you both correctly, it wouldn't matter if I fly with standard mufflers or with the less noisy cannisters. I will probably use the cannister plane any way but there are a couple of other guys that I fly with and they don't have cannisters yet. Dave- -your note states that CAPI follows IMAC noise rule guidelines/scoring criteria with no ground noise checks. Does your in air score statement also not refer to noise and only to flying scores.

Tony
Tonybons is offline Find More Posts by Tonybons
Old 11-13-2006, 08:19 AM
tl3
Find More Posts by tl3
tl3
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Aylett
Joined Feb 2006
763 Posts

Quote:
Leyland will be a NC member in the upcoming months.
Hmmm, must of heard I was coming back to the NE next summer
t
tl3 is offline Find More Posts by tl3
Old 11-13-2006, 11:50 AM
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybons View Post
Thanks John and Dave,

If I understand you both correctly, it wouldn't matter if I fly with standard mufflers or with the less noisy cannisters. I will probably use the cannister plane any way but there are a couple of other guys that I fly with and they don't have cannisters yet. Dave- -your note states that CAPI follows IMAC noise rule guidelines/scoring criteria with no ground noise checks. Does your in air score statement also not refer to noise and only to flying scores.

Tony
The in-air score means you sound will be subjectively scored by the judges while in the air. You can have cans on your airplane and still get a 0 on the sound score if you rip the prop through the entire flight. Sound scores are awarded as 10, 5, or 0. You recieve this score along with your manuever scores throughout the flight.

Dave - Thanks for the info on the Capi!
Old 11-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Find More Posts by dmichael
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Jan 2006
1,201 Posts

Tony- John stated it correctly.

If you have a plane already with cannisters, that's the one I would use. I know I usually start giving the business to guys who are running stock mufflers and ripping the prop all day- I will admit that I still think the prop noise sounds cool (though I try not to rip) but exhaust noise is just plain annoying after a while!

I'm at the point where I don't even think about running stock mufflers on my 40% planes. I can even run a three blade prop on a 40% plane with cannisters have have more than enough power for any sequence in any class.

It's really not a big issue- you will be fine. Just come on out and fly with us. It's all for fun.

Dave

PS- I believe we may have met previously- at the Nall a few years back. Don't you do that full power snap at the bottom of the loop? (insert Tim Allen grunt here)
dmichael is offline Find More Posts by dmichael
Old 11-13-2006, 12:18 PM
Find More Posts by snap a saurus
United States, MA, Dighton
Joined Jan 2006
8,337 Posts

Guys I would like to compete or maybe have fun in IMAC, whichever but I need some motivation.
snap a saurus is online now Find More Posts by snap a saurus
Old 11-13-2006, 01:02 PM
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap a saurus View Post
Guys I would like to compete or maybe have fun in IMAC, whichever but I need some motivation.

Elie, I try to motivate you every weekend!!!! Remember those nice rolling circles and sequences I was doing in that 20mph cross-wind last weekend... I thought I could hear you cheering behind me!!

Quick Reply