Old 07-15-2017, 07:33 AM
Find More Posts by 12 Bravo
Huh, how'd that happen?
Joined Mar 2017
15 Posts
Question
EME 30 - 35cc Auto Starter

Hey Everyone,

I had purchased an EME 30 - 35cc Auto Starter from Mile High RC, and love the thing! It makes the startup so much easier. I installed onto a brand new 30cc DLE, and the installation was quick and easy. However, after a couple of startups the positive connector broke off. This happened during the first static run of the engine during break-in. There was some vibration, but no more than to be expected for a gasser.

After viewing different pictures, and videos on-line I noticed that the electric motor that I had received is different from those viewed. Mine appears to be lacking a cover that would protect the stator/armature, and would, it seems, to give better support to the connectors. I did make some modifications and everything is running great, but I am concerned about dust, etc. Everything is in the wide open.

I did contact Mike at Mile High RC, and he advised that there was "no track record of inherent failure with them." However, I did send him pictures of the modification that I had made, and I never heard anything back. Even the replacement motor that they advertise looks different.

Has anyone else received a motor like this one? Maybe this is an earlier version, and there have been changes made since.

Sorry for the crappy picture, but all I have is a crappy camera.

Thank You,

Jeff
12 Bravo is offline Find More Posts by 12 Bravo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-15-2017, 01:27 PM
Huh, how'd that happen?
Joined Mar 2017
15 Posts
New Design

Hey All,

Mike, at Mile High RC, says that this is the look of the new motors. Well, a brushed motor needs to breath. I'm not crazy about the springs and such being out in the open like that, but it's still a great starter!
Old 07-16-2017, 06:30 AM
Huh, how'd that happen?
Joined Mar 2017
15 Posts
Just to give everyone a heads up - I think the failure of the tab was my fault. Due to the distance of the battery from the starter I had used a pretty heavy gauged wire to prevent a loss in current, and because of the weight of the heavier gauge it put more weight on the connection than was needed. I probably should have given it more support then I did. Oh well, live, and learn.

Everything is great now! A big thanks to Mike, at Mile High RC, for his help, and support!
Old 07-17-2017, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by 74Ranch
United States, VA, Midlothian
Joined Sep 2013
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 Bravo View Post
Just to give everyone a heads up - I think the failure of the tab was my fault. Due to the distance of the battery from the starter I had used a pretty heavy gauged wire to prevent a loss in current, and because of the weight of the heavier gauge it put more weight on the connection than was needed. I probably should have given it more support then I did. Oh well, live, and learn.

Everything is great now! A big thanks to Mike, at Mile High RC, for his help, and support!
I got this system, but I bought it with the EME35cc motor. did you buy the relay as well. I wish I had it on most all my planes. I have only flown it about 4 flights and have not had any issues with the exact same motor.
74Ranch is offline Find More Posts by 74Ranch
Old 07-18-2017, 07:12 AM
Huh, how'd that happen?
Joined Mar 2017
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Ranch View Post
I got this system, but I bought it with the EME35cc motor. did you buy the relay as well. I wish I had it on most all my planes. I have only flown it about 4 flights and have not had any issues with the exact same motor.
Hey 74Ranch,

Yup, I bought the starter relay, and it performs flawlessly. Nice little relay, and doesn't even get warm. That's a good idea! If I tank-out the present motor, I'll upgrade to the EME35cc motor. Thanks for the advise!

I'm converting all my planes over to gas, and sure do wish that this starter was available for all of them. You just can't beat the ease of the fire up! I put this one on a Giant Stik, and it balanced out the plane! Those planes usually need quite a bit of extra weight in the nose due to the lightness of the DLE 30, but with the starter there's no dead weight.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:54 AM
Find More Posts by TomHintz
1-1/2D Pilot
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Aug 2014
215 Posts
I have this engine and start system and precisely the same thing happened, the whimpy little solder lugs snapped off. However, according to the folks at VQwarbirds, I am the only none that has ever had this problem so you are an alien or something. Also, they figure I am not using a balanced prop or have forgotten how to solder.
I also just noticed that the pinion side bearing in the motor is shot allowing the pinion to move around a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 Bravo View Post
Hey Everyone,

I had purchased an EME 30 - 35cc Auto Starter from Mile High RC, and love the thing! It makes the startup so much easier. I installed onto a brand new 30cc DLE, and the installation was quick and easy. However, after a couple of startups the positive connector broke off. This happened during the first static run of the engine during break-in. There was some vibration, but no more than to be expected for a gasser.

After viewing different pictures, and videos on-line I noticed that the electric motor that I had received is different from those viewed. Mine appears to be lacking a cover that would protect the stator/armature, and would, it seems, to give better support to the connectors. I did make some modifications and everything is running great, but I am concerned about dust, etc. Everything is in the wide open.

I did contact Mike at Mile High RC, and he advised that there was "no track record of inherent failure with them." However, I did send him pictures of the modification that I had made, and I never heard anything back. Even the replacement motor that they advertise looks different.

Has anyone else received a motor like this one? Maybe this is an earlier version, and there have been changes made since.

Sorry for the crappy picture, but all I have is a crappy camera.

Thank You,

Jeff
TomHintz is offline Find More Posts by TomHintz
Old 06-01-2018, 04:09 PM
Find More Posts by scootr
2 many planes 2 little time
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Sep 2015
1,063 Posts
I have the is starter installed on EME55. Did the install myself after a flight or 2.
I've got about 40-50 starts on this thing without any failure. I supported my wires from the start. I recommend this to anybody looking to add 20-24 oz to the front of the plane.
scootr is online now Find More Posts by scootr
Old 06-02-2018, 06:01 AM
Find More Posts by 74Ranch
United States, VA, Midlothian
Joined Sep 2013
442 Posts
+1, my wires are supported with cable ties that are just slightly snug and have no issues. I have two of them
T
74Ranch is offline Find More Posts by 74Ranch
Old 06-03-2018, 03:12 PM
Find More Posts by scootr
2 many planes 2 little time
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Sep 2015
1,063 Posts
Flew mine today - It's just so easy.
Roll my gas plane to the flight line get in the box and hit the starter. And go.
You gotta love it.
scootr is online now Find More Posts by scootr
Old 09-11-2019, 08:57 AM
Find More Posts by vermontguy
Joined Aug 2019
3 Posts
Does it change the firewall to prop hub distance any?
vermontguy is offline Find More Posts by vermontguy
Old 09-23-2019, 05:12 AM
Find More Posts by jaguar bone
balsa, glue & gas
United States, FL, Winter Garden
Joined Jun 2006
3,044 Posts
Maybe.

Took a picture of my new out of the box.Well I wish I had both to measure?
If that is a problem, can't you shorten the stand offs as needed?
jaguar bone is offline Find More Posts by jaguar bone
Last edited by jaguar bone; 09-23-2019 at 09:00 PM. Reason: add pics-
Old 04-17-2020, 09:00 AM
Find More Posts by dtthefish
Joined Apr 2020
1 Posts
Set up on DLE55Ra

I am curious on how everyone set theirs up. Did you designate a switch on your remote for the starter or did you install a switch somewhere on the fuselage? Also if I can get some pictures of your setups. Thank in advance.
dtthefish is offline Find More Posts by dtthefish

Quick Reply