logo
Old 07-13-2018, 09:18 PM
Find More Posts by Racerxxx
Joined Jul 2018
17 Posts
The good thing about being local to EF is personalized service. Chris's wife delivered my plane and other goodies to me today. Not only did I get a top quality plane I got top notch service!
Racerxxx is offline Find More Posts by Racerxxx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-14-2018, 04:04 PM
Joined Jul 2018
17 Posts
After looking over the assembly manual it looks easier to assemble than one of the smaller planes. Hinge the control surfaces, then it looks like most everything else is just bolt on. I have never worked with these hinges before, I'd like some guidance so I don't screw them up. I have been told to apply Vaseline to the hinge points. One club member says he uses 5 min epoxy and does one side at a time because he has had them push out before the 30 min epoxy has time to set up. With doing only one side at a time I'm worried that I will not get them at a perfect 90 degree angle. Another club member says to do them per instructions. Another thing, they seem a little stiff currently. I don't know how freely they should move. They do not seem like they are binding, just a tad stiff. I guess they will loosen up with use? Any tips, things to watch out for or any other information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by BlinkguY
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Feb 2014
568 Posts
This is how I do it....

I do both side at the same time because of the 90 degrees angle mistake you can make.... you just said it. I think the same way.

I do put a little oil on to the hinge pins and then a little vaseline so the epoxy wont make the hinge useless..

That's it....

That's just me... other minds will think different than me.
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old 07-14-2018, 04:24 PM
Find More Posts by Nat3D
Nat 3D
Panama, Panama City
Joined Aug 2017
310 Posts
Racerxxx here is video about how to do the hinges, hope this help

Extreme Flight 104" Extra Assembly Video #1 - Wings and Stabs.mov (22 min 29 sec)
Nat3D is offline Find More Posts by Nat3D
Old 07-14-2018, 05:28 PM
Find More Posts by aalfawaz
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2015
1,156 Posts
I did this for the laser and 100cc Slick
Aircraft Hinges Installation (7 min 51 sec)
aalfawaz is offline Find More Posts by aalfawaz
Old 07-14-2018, 08:25 PM
Find More Posts by NashVegas
"CrashVegas" more appropriate!
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Jun 2014
756 Posts
Someone taught me this and it keeps things real clean. I also use petroleum jelly to pack my hinges before the epoxy process but then add a slight amount of heat so that it melts into the hinges. Works great. I just peel off the painters tape when the hinges are dry.
NashVegas is offline Find More Posts by NashVegas
Old 07-14-2018, 09:59 PM
Joined Jul 2018
17 Posts
Is it necessary to ream out the holes some as shown in the video that Nat3D posted?
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm not going to start on it until next week some time, I just want to have my plan of action figured out.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:50 AM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Feb 2013
2,757 Posts
On mine I was able to get the hinges deep enough into the control surface without the need to ream the hole. On Robart hinges I usually use a 1/4" drill bit turned by hand to make clearance for the pivot however the EF hinges seem to be lower profile.
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Old 07-15-2018, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,068 Posts
don't stress about hinging. at the end of day all you are doing is trying to get the glue into the hole without making a mess. Of the many EF planes I have built, never have needed to ream or enlarge a hole nor do I think Jeff makes any mention of it in the manuals. I have built three 35% Extra 104s..the plane shown in the video.

A friend uses Vaseline, I use light oil. both work. I simply apply a small amount to the pin and work it a bit before installation. I have used 5 minute epoxy and if the number of hinge points is low, it works fine. Keep some alcohol handy to wipe up any fingerprints. tape over the hinge works well to keep things clean.

my method is (1) lube the hinges, (not sure if he did this eariler in the video, he does it after the hinges are glued, which makes no sense), (2) mix up the glue on a small piece of cardboard (3) use a toothpick or something similar to drop the glue into the hole, then spread it around a bit. once all the holes are filled, put in the hinges. make sure that they are 90 degrees. Unlike the video, I do not put the glue directly on the hinge, and if you look at the mess he is making it's obvious why. Put the glue into the hole, then set the hinge.

I would start with an elevator as they are easy to work with. you can do both sides at once, but I wouldn't suggest it for a starter. after the glue dries, use a blade to chip away any excess and flex the hinges. then do the other side. use masking tape to full the sides together. Let it sit and voila...you should be good to go! Give each hinge a good tug to ensure they are set. set the surface so the glue flows toward the hinge and let gravity do it's thing. glue will not flow out of the hole.

it's not a must have, but if you or a friend have micro balloons, it/they can be used as a thickener, making the glue a little easier to work with. the longer the set times of epoxy the less viscous it is, making it more difficult to use for pin hinges.

have fun...!!
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Last edited by FGNewbie; 07-15-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:44 PM
Joined Jul 2018
17 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I was thinking i would do the elevator first, lower hinge count and a cheaper part to replace if I screw it up. I would rather have too much information than figure it out the hard way.
On another note. I think the un-assembled laser has all ready helped my flying. I took my 78" Extra out today and since it's no longer my biggest plane I flew it really hard and felt comfortable. Before I was a little bit reserved with it, not today.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:57 PM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
....and don't use anything like 10min epoxy.
Give yourself some working time, it will be necessary - especially on the ailerons.

FWIW, I've also learned epoxy sets faster when mixed in larger quantities.
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Old 07-15-2018, 04:32 PM
Joined Mar 2010
4,068 Posts
Sort of....a large amount of epoxy that is mixed in a cup will accelerate the reaction due to heat transfer, possibly making it unusable in just a few minutes. If it is mixed and spread out like paint (hence my use of a piece of cardboard) it slows the reaction time and is easier to work with.

I used 5 min on all surfaces of my 35% MXS.
Last edited by FGNewbie; 07-15-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:17 AM
Find More Posts by aalfawaz
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2015
1,156 Posts
I don’t miss epoxy hinging days what a pain in the back.
GG is the man. Squeeze a little and push the hinge doesn’t get any better
aalfawaz is offline Find More Posts by aalfawaz
Old 07-16-2018, 09:01 AM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
Sort of....a large amount of epoxy that is mixed in a cup will accelerate the reaction due to heat transfer, possibly making it unusable in just a few minutes. If it is mixed and spread out like paint (hence my use of a piece of cardboard) it slows the reaction time and is easier to work with.

I used 5 min on all surfaces of my 35% MXS.
Good to know Newbie, thanks
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Old 07-16-2018, 10:14 AM
Joined Mar 2010
4,068 Posts
you're welcome....I found this out the hard way years ago when I was preparing to sheet a wing, and mixed what was supposed to be 24 hr epoxy in a 1 oz cup, intending to mix it and then spread it on the sheeting. I got a phone call...and a few minutes later when I back to the cup it was warm and the epoxy was thickening. lesson: don't answer the phone when working with epoxy.

Quick Reply