Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-12-2009, 01:06 AM
Find More Posts by pbrantuas
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2006
338 Posts
Re: Extreme Flight 78" Extra 300 Build

Here are some pictures of the motor mount I made for an outrunner setup.

Extension made from aluminum tubing wrapped in carbon fiber, 8-32 bolts 3" long, aluminum inserts to keep bolts from moving around, washers to spread the load.
Total weight for the motor mount, is 1.99 oz plus blind nuts.
pbrantuas is offline Find More Posts by pbrantuas
Old 12-12-2009, 01:07 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2006
338 Posts

A couple of things I noticed while building this kit:
The directions say to use an offset arm on the rudder servo, but when you install the control horn on the rudder, it lines up with the hinge line, so a straight arm on the rudder servo works great.

The control horns for the rudder have an indent on one side to serve as a stop, and if you push that against the rudder like I did, one side of the control horn will be 1/16" longer, causing deflection of the rudder to one side to tighten the cables and deflection to the other side to loosen the cables.

Overall the design and quality of this ARF is exceptional.
Can't wait to fly this thing.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:16 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2006
338 Posts

Here is another motor mount idea. This one was done by Tim Attaway, with birch dowels.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:29 AM
Find More Posts by 1bwana1
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts

Thanks for posting the pictures. Nice job on the motor mounts Pedro, and Tim. Out-runners are sure easier to mount than in-runners. My motor should be mounted by end of the day tomorrow.

It looks like both of you will be flying before me. I'm still waiting for my servo arms. UPS says they won't be here until the 17th, so I should be ready to maiden the 18th. I guess I'll just have to fly one of yours in the mean time. LOL!
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Old 12-12-2009, 02:35 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2006
338 Posts

Why such a long wait on the servo arms?

I was thinking we would all get together on Wednesday to maiden these bad boys.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:35 AM
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts

I ordered from XXXX on the morning of the 9th, I asked for the USPS Priority Shipping instead of UPS. I got a tracking number saying they shipped UPS ground, the package is still in Florida as of today, with a scheduled delivery date of the 17th. 8 days to get a small package, not so good on the shipping by XXXX if you ask me.

I will still be there Wednesday for your maiden though!
Last edited by 1bwana1; 12-12-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:20 PM
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts

Last night I spent building a motor mount. It came out OK, but not as nice, nor as light, or as strong, as the one Pedro had done. This morning, Pedro called, and said I should really use the same system he did. He said to come over to his shop at 2:00pm and we would build it. So that is what I did, I went over to Pedro's a watched him build me a motor mount. He is right, it is much better than the one I had come up with.

The basic construction of this mount is the same as the out-runner mount. Because the Neu in-runner requires longer tubes, we used 10/32 bolts instead of the 8/32 bolts used on the out-runner. This added some weight, but also considerable stiffness. Pedro cut four of the Carbon Fiber wrapped aluminum tubes to the proper length which was 4.5". He then installed some machined aluminum inserts into the tubes to keep the bolt centered. I already had some G10 material cut for the front mount from a previous installation, so we used that. Blind nuts were installed in the firewall. I know Chris didn't intentionally design this plane for an in-runner motor, but the setup couldn't have been better if he had. The factory cut hole in the firewall is the perfect diameter, and in the perfect position to serve as the rear support for the motor. The distance from the firewall to the back of the spinner on the Neu 1515 3D is exactly 5 1/16", which happens to be exactly what the manual calls for. It turned out to be a great install.

Here is a picture of the mount on the scale. 3.47 oz including four washers that we didn't end up installing because we felt we needed the length to get a better bite in the blind nuts. I will install them when I find a source for a 5 1/4" 10/32 bolt. I couldn't get one locally. The weight as currently installed is 2.95 ounces. We really saved some weight here, and the mount is very strong.

Name: mountweight.JPG
Views: 538
Size: 387.3 KB
Description:

Here, the mount is installed in the plane. You can see how perfectly the existing firewall works with the Neu 1515/3D.

Name: motormount.JPG
Views: 843
Size: 316.3 KB
Description:
Last edited by 1bwana1; 12-12-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Go Bucks!!!
Swanton, OH USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,591 Posts

Nice work on the Neu install!! I really like the fact that you used the front of the motor box as a rear support for the motor.

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Old 12-12-2009, 09:31 PM
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts

While I was at Pedro's I raided his bins for the parts I need to finish the plane. I now think I have everything, and won't have to wait for UPS on the 17th. If all goes well, I may get this bird finished tomorrow.

Thanks Pedro, I owe you!

The third, and final storm is scheduled to come through San Diego tomorrow. After that, the tradition warm sunny days we are used to will return for the next couple of weeks. Since our electric field at Sea World has a dirt runway, we'll give it a couple of sunny days to dry out. We are planning for a group maiden Wednesday morning. There should be at least 3, and possibly 4 of the 78" Extras ready to go by then. Two will have the Scorpion out-runners, one will have the stock Torque setup from EF, and mine will have the Neu in-runner. This should make for some interesting comparisons, and maybe give you guys who are considering getting one of these helpful information when choosing your power package.

OK, I'm going to the "fancy eating table" to install my servos. More pictures coming soon!
Old 12-12-2009, 09:33 PM
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun.flyer View Post
Nice work on the Neu install!! I really like the fact that you used the front of the motor box as a rear support for the motor.

Tim
Like I said, it's like Chris designed this plane for the Neu motor.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by xtraflyr
United States, NJ, Chester Township
Joined Jan 2006
1,559 Posts

Great job on the motor mounts ! Can't wait to see some video if you guys flying !! You guys actually fly in Sea World property ?
xtraflyr is offline Find More Posts by xtraflyr
Old 12-12-2009, 11:40 PM
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts

The field is actually in San Diego's Mission Bay Park a very scenic location. The field adjoins Sea World, which is just to the West. It is a great site, especially in the Summer when we are kept cool by wind coming right off the water. It is half way between my home and office, only about 3 miles from each. Easy to sneak away for a couple of quick flights during the week. By agreement with the City, it is an electric power only field so that the noise doesn't disturb the beach crowd.

Link to club's home page, take a look at some of the news letters (Peak Charge) for pictures and map to the site:

http://sefsd.org/
Old 12-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Find More Posts by danielph
Fly Extreme!
High Prairie, Washington
Joined Jul 2007
4,363 Posts

Motor mount looks great! Very nice work.
danielph is offline Find More Posts by danielph
Old 12-12-2009, 11:51 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2006
338 Posts

I'll bring my video camera to the field on Wednesday. Maybe someone with a steady hand can get some footage of a little formation flying

Glad to hear you'll make Wednesday Steve. See you at Sea World.

Pedro.

Quick Reply