logo
Old 12-23-2018, 02:10 AM
Find More Posts by supercub1
Joined Aug 2013
444 Posts
Discussion
50cc Aileron Setup

Hi I was going through and re-setting up a couple 50cc EF planes with Savox Servos and swb arms on my JR12x. I am having a hard time getting low mid and high rates even from a deflection degree point. For instance I can setup around 45 on high rates up down on both wings but then when I go to mid rates I may have differences up down on both surfaces around 35 degrees of 2 to 3 degrees. I checked and adjusted my ball links to be consistent. My sub trim is off more on one side than the other just to get the ailerons centered. My travel adjustment is not as consistent as I want but did what I had to to achieve the end points. Never had programmable servos I am sure that helps. But could there be say some differences in the way the surface horn is glued in as well as if the ailerons are not glued exactly center?
supercub1 is offline Find More Posts by supercub1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-23-2018, 07:56 AM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Feb 2013
2,751 Posts
I don't know exactly what is going on but I am pretty certain your issue lies with subtrim. I've seen this exact same thing and the "fix" was to take out all the subtrim and mechanically adjust the pushrods to center the ailerons. The servo arms were not in proper geometry however it was 95% better then it was with the subtrim. Whenever I build a new plane I usually buy a few extra servo arms to find ones with the best geometry and use those for the ailerons. Other surfaces don't seem to be effected as much with subtrim but I've had nothing but issues with ailerons. BTW, don't forget the arms don't always end up 90 degrees to the servo case, they need to run parallel with the hinge line.
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Old 12-23-2018, 08:08 AM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
998 Posts
If you have travel adjust over 100 percent on dual rates it can cause the effect, same with the servo travel adjustment being over 100 percent.
It has been along time since I have programmed a 12X, I currently have a couple 14-XG and want a new T-14 with CNC gimbals but I am waiting to see if they will offer it with the 28X gimbals.
I would change title of your thread to include JR 12X there are many JR experts who will help.
Festivus is offline Find More Posts by Festivus
Old 12-23-2018, 08:41 AM
Find More Posts by Harold Smith
United States, TX, Chandler
Joined Dec 2009
624 Posts
I agree with Muttdog, zero your sub trim and get them centered mechanically.--Smitty
Harold Smith is offline Find More Posts by Harold Smith
Old 12-23-2018, 01:59 PM
Find More Posts by supercub1
Joined Aug 2013
444 Posts
Hey thanks guys for the input. Yeah I have to use past 100 on my travel to get the 45 degrees on high rates because I am 1.5 out on the swb arm. I would have had less travel in the past when I was out to 1.75 but was getting flutter so I moved it in. I may have to try the 0 sutrim mechanically setup the ailerons and see what happens. Too bad I can't get 0 subtrim. Seems like anyone that has non programmable servos no mater what can't get a good setup.
supercub1 is offline Find More Posts by supercub1
Old 12-24-2018, 05:38 AM
Find More Posts by Harold Smith
United States, TX, Chandler
Joined Dec 2009
624 Posts
I use Savox servos, while it does take a little longer to get them just right, I like them. But I don't understand the flutter problem. Do you have the hinge gap sealed, if so are you sure the servos have enough torque. I use 1230s on my 60cc planes so I have plenty of servo.--Smitty
Harold Smith is offline Find More Posts by Harold Smith
Old 12-24-2018, 03:12 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
998 Posts
Flutter can destroy a flight surface in less than a second, its as bad as a gravity surge.
This will show how fast flutter can damage a plane, even at relatively slow speed
LIttle flutter action with slow mo (2 min 38 sec)
Festivus is offline Find More Posts by Festivus

Quick Reply