logo
Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 PM
Find More Posts by Hoverin
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Jun 2012
67 Posts
Help!
New to Nitro.....

Hey all, just purchased my first Flying Giant, and Nitro. It's a 1/4 Great Planes Patty Wagstaff Extra 300S seen here.
http://www.greatplanes.com/reviews/gpma1305-rcm.html

And
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...t=75279&page=4
Post #60.

Just after a bit of local (Aus) advice on fuel, tips and tricks, what to watch out for (other than angry Moki with big prop) and gear needed.... After reading around a bit on here I'm thinking 80/20 and not sure on plug.. cheers
Hoverin is offline Find More Posts by Hoverin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-18-2013, 12:11 AM
Find More Posts by antsis
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2008
38 Posts
If you're talking nitro fuel, 80 methanol/20 oil is the standard mix. However, if you go for a 10% nitro mix, 70 methanol, 10 nitro/20 oil, then you will get a much smoother, reliable idle.

Honestly though, for a model that big, why not consider a DLE 30-35cc petrol?

As for radio gear. 12kg torque servos on ailerons and elevators. 15kg on rudder. I run a dual lipo/BEC system on my 30cc MX2 and would also recommend this.
antsis is offline Find More Posts by antsis
Old 03-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Jun 2012
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antsis View Post
If you're talking nitro fuel, 80 methanol/20 oil is the standard mix. However, if you go for a 10% nitro mix, 70 methanol, 10 nitro/20 oil, then you will get a much smoother, reliable idle.

Honestly though, for a model that big, why not consider a DLE 30-35cc petrol?

As for radio gear. 12kg torque servos on ailerons and elevators. 15kg on rudder. I run a dual lipo/BEC system on my 30cc MX2 and would also recommend this.
Thanks Ant, the Moki is designed to run on 0% or maybe 5%, to assist with idle, I assume, through reading threads on here etc.... The one guy that I read about was running 10% was complaining about how thirsty it was, common for running too much nitro. Anything over this is a waste of $$$ and for no extra power apparently. I'm sure there will be differences of opinions here, this is just what I've read, and wanted somewhere to start then get my own experience.

I'm going to stick with the Moki because that's what's in it. I got the plane for a good price and don't have the $$$ or desire to mess with it beyond this, for now at least. Even to the point of keeping the ancient 5745 and 6635's.

It flew how it is, as heavy as it is, so I want to lighten things where I can, sort a few linkage/horn issues and just fly it. I may decide down the track that it's not for me, so to get it airworthy with minimum fuss is first priority.
Thanks again....
Old 03-19-2013, 01:35 AM
Find More Posts by antsis
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2008
38 Posts
I ran a Moki 135 on a BlackHorse Yak 54 120. I cannot be sure what the nitro content was but think it was either 0% or 10%. The Moki's are nice engines, but tend to be a bit heavy, so you may need to shift the radio gear back to get the balance right. The other issue I had was with the o-ring on the low speed adjustment. You might want to replace this before flying. They tend to wear after a while and the engine will not run properly as the adjustment moves due to vibration.
antsis is offline Find More Posts by antsis
Old 03-19-2013, 01:52 AM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Jun 2012
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antsis View Post
I ran a Moki 135 on a BlackHorse Yak 54 120. I cannot be sure what the nitro content was but think it was either 0% or 10%. The Moki's are nice engines, but tend to be a bit heavy, so you may need to shift the radio gear back to get the balance right. The other issue I had was with the o-ring on the low speed adjustment. You might want to replace this before flying. They tend to wear after a while and the engine will not run properly as the adjustment moves due to vibration.
Cheers, I just finished pulling the carby apart actually, the throttle was stuck at idle position. I have a feeling this engine hasn't run in a long while. It was clagged up with the fuel residue and took some cleaning, inside and out.
It's all good now but hear what your saying with the O-rings, I need all 4 and the gasket on the fuel in connector. Time to do some googling I think, I guess you can still get a carby kit?
This is turning into a good little project, quite enjoying it. Can't wait to see the end result.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:58 PM
Find More Posts by MERCURY
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2008
177 Posts
FORGET NITRO , GO PETROL CHEAPER LESS HASSLE .
MERCURY is offline Find More Posts by MERCURY
Old 06-22-2017, 05:23 AM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Jun 2012
67 Posts
Holy thread resurrection batman!!! Thanks for reply, I have since moved to gas but have a couple favourite planes that run nitro. :-)
Old 06-28-2017, 11:23 PM
Find More Posts by BeverleyFlyer
Australia, WA, Midland
Joined Aug 2010
2,366 Posts
lol
BeverleyFlyer is offline Find More Posts by BeverleyFlyer
Old 06-29-2017, 02:24 AM
Find More Posts by logantjosh
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, England, Somerset
Joined Mar 2017
208 Posts
Forget gas go electric, gas aint got no power.
logantjosh is offline Find More Posts by logantjosh
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)

Quick Reply