logo
Old 09-23-2020, 09:21 PM
Find More Posts by DaleW2
United States, SC, Aiken
Joined Aug 2008
206 Posts
I’m close to having mine done and may be able to get the 120 in the air this weekend if my mufflers come in by Friday. I’ll be cutting the cowl venting tomorrow, setting the throws in the PowerBox and getting the wiring looking neater.
The 70cc size (I have the red version) fits neatly in my Armada on one side in back of the driver seat with the 2/3 second seat and driver side 3rd row seat down. That allows 2 passengers or a 120cc size plane (without stabs on) to go with me. I’ll need to see if the Mamba 120 will fit height wise because of the top center wing and it’s tall stance.
The Mamba 70cc flies great. A very fun plane to fly. You can do mild or wild equally well. I expect the Mamba 120 will fly just as well or better due to the foiled fin & stab, relatively larger control surfaces and its larger, heavier size. Besides, this one will have smoke on it just like my 50% Model 12 had!
Anyone else close on their builds?

Dale
DaleW2 is offline Find More Posts by DaleW2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-23-2020, 09:34 PM
Find More Posts by madinpensacola
New plane junkie
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jun 2014
2,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleW2 View Post
I’m close to having mine done and may be able to get the 120 in the air this weekend if my mufflers come in by Friday. I’ll be cutting the cowl venting tomorrow, setting the throws in the PowerBox and getting the wiring looking neater.
The 70cc size (I have the red version) fits neatly in my Armada on one side in back of the driver seat with the 2/3 second seat and driver side 3rd row seat down. That allows 2 passengers or a 120cc size plane (without stabs on) to go with me. I’ll need to see if the Mamba 120 will fit height wise because of the top center wing and it’s tall stance.
The Mamba 70cc flies great. A very fun plane to fly. You can do mild or wild equally well. I expect the Mamba 120 will fly just as well or better due to the foiled fin & stab, relatively larger control surfaces and its larger, heavier size. Besides, this one will have smoke on it just like my 50% Model 12 had!
Anyone else close on their builds?

Dale
There’s some heights for ya. The reason I own a minivan . Flies great...see previous post
madinpensacola is offline Find More Posts by madinpensacola
Old 09-23-2020, 09:38 PM
Find More Posts by GR8R8
United States, FL, Odessa
Joined Apr 2019
1,239 Posts
You’re all bad influences on me... the 120 really looks SWEET!!! I love my 70 and is probably my favorite all around airframe. Yes, mild or wild, all in one package (I could very easily make a smart a$$) comment here, but I will refrain)!!

I need another plane like I need a hole in my head, but.... I can’t stop looking at this... Yellow please....
GR8R8 is offline Find More Posts by GR8R8
Old 09-24-2020, 06:38 AM
Find More Posts by William_Burkert
Closed Account
Joined Oct 2013
1,077 Posts
Could you provide the total overall length and landing gear width?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madinpensacola View Post
There’s some heights for ya. The reason I own a minivan . Flies great...see previous post
William_Burkert is offline Find More Posts by William_Burkert
Old 09-24-2020, 07:35 AM
New plane junkie
Joined Jun 2014
2,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by William_Burkert View Post
Could you provide the total overall length and landing gear width?
Overall length from the end of the non removable rudder to the tip of my spinner is 96 inches. The spinner brought it to 96 inches overall. With the spinner removed it loses 4 inches and is 92 inches to the front of the prop.
Landing gear width from the outside of the wheel pants is 31 inches.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:20 AM
Closed Account
Joined Oct 2013
1,077 Posts
Thank-you. Now I can begin planning a transportation/storage case. I will travel with hstab’s and wings removed and plan on an inside minimum dimension of 31”W x 96” x 31”H. I will add an inch or two just to be safe. Is your height shown above with the wheels on?

This is my Mamba 70cc case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madinpensacola View Post
Overall length from the end of the non removable rudder to the tip of my spinner is 96 inches. The spinner brought it to 96 inches overall. With the spinner removed it loses 4 inches and is 92 inches to the front of the prop.
Landing gear width from the outside of the wheel pants is 31 inches.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:09 AM
New plane junkie
Joined Jun 2014
2,367 Posts
Quote:
Thank-you. Now I can begin planning a transportation/storage case. I will travel with hstab’s and wings removed and plan on an inside minimum dimension of 31”W x 96” x 31”H. I will add an inch or two just to be safe. Is your height shown above with the wheels on?

Yes. Ready to fly. 4.5” wheels.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:47 PM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
desert racer
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2007
6,772 Posts
Quote:

trade the mini truck for a full size van or pickup/shell. that's a lot of box hanging in the wind
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old 09-25-2020, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by danimach
United States
Joined Nov 2017
392 Posts
Quote:

Dude,
You need a bigger truck or a smaller airplane. I vote for the bigger truck.
danimach is offline Find More Posts by danimach
Old 09-25-2020, 10:04 PM
Closed Account
Joined Oct 2013
1,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danimach View Post
Dude,
You need a bigger truck or a smaller airplane. I vote for the bigger truck.
I also use the crate for storage as it keeps it safe when not flying. I never store any plane inside once it has been gassed. I do the best I can with what I have.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:17 PM
Find More Posts by teamhighrpm
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2007
49 Posts
Can anyone post a picture of where u routed your throttle servo wire. I'm not a fan of cutting little slots to pass the servo wire through.
teamhighrpm is offline Find More Posts by teamhighrpm
Old 09-26-2020, 07:53 PM
United States, SC, Aiken
Joined Aug 2008
206 Posts
You can barely see it but I drilled a hole with a grommet aft of the servo and routed it over to the left side of the plane and back. I'm using a PowerBox Mercury controller located in the same space they recommend for the Aura.
I also put holes in the side panels for the ignition and smoke pump as this is how I have done on many other planes. FI recommends the pump be placed on the CG so I may have to move my main batteries back just a bit on either side of the PB.

Dale
Old 09-26-2020, 09:00 PM
Find More Posts by teamhighrpm
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2007
49 Posts
Thx Dale, that helps. I'm not a fan of drilling in the motor box or firewall but on this one, seems to be the only way.
teamhighrpm is offline Find More Posts by teamhighrpm
Old 09-26-2020, 10:57 PM
Find More Posts by crankcase
baddogsmokes@gmail.com
United States, MN, Isanti
Joined Apr 2016
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleW2 View Post
You can barely see it but I drilled a hole with a grommet aft of the servo and routed it over to the left side of the plane and back. I'm using a PowerBox Mercury controller located in the same space they recommend for the Aura.
I also put holes in the side panels for the ignition and smoke pump as this is how I have done on many other planes. FI recommends the pump be placed on the CG so I may have to move my main batteries back just a bit on either side of the PB.

Dale
Hey Dale, You may have addressed this after your photo was taken, but in your last photo showing your smoke pump I can see that you are missing 2 zip ties. One on the Tygon input line from the crap trap filter, & one on the high temp output line reducer adapter small end.
crankcase is offline Find More Posts by crankcase
Old 09-26-2020, 11:18 PM
United States, SC, Aiken
Joined Aug 2008
206 Posts
Yeah, I know. I didn’t have the fuel & smoke tank ties on either. I was hoping to have my mufflers yesterday or today but Chief tells me they won’t be in until mid October (!). I did get my Bad Dog smoke nozzles in but once again have to wait on the mufflers.
I’ve got all the connections either wired or zip tied now and I’m figuring out where to mount my PB switch & display. I am also waiting on a blue fuel dot from EF to go on the left side. The red dot is already in on the right side. Once I get that in I can permanently mount the center wing section to the cabanes. FI calls for red loctite on those bolts.
Anyway, I won’t be flying this thing until mid October so I guess I’ll just have to settle with flying my Red 70cc Mamba! Going out tomorrow to do that.

Dale

Quick Reply