Old 07-11-2019, 10:13 AM
Find More Posts by LongRacing
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Jul 2018
35 Posts
Discussion
Dx7 gen3 Possible Cause for Flyaway?

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone could help me out here.. very frustrated.. yesterday at the field I was flying my 74" EF Slick with DA35 . Went up 4x no issue. Checked my 2 batteries both reading 80% and fuled up.

About 1min in response seemed slow or like it was freezing up for a quick sec and then back.. went to bring it in started a large sweeping turn ( roughly 300-400 yards out) and then I lost signal.. I started to run toward the model and regained control.. then lost and gained a few times.. then lost for good.. watched it flyaway! Cant believe it, but I jump in my truck and start the hunt.. 2 concessions over (3 miles) I see it in a cut weat feild. Dont know how but ONLY damage was canopy , cowl and tip of rudder.. not even a puncture in a wing.. unbelievable!!!

So now.. what to do? I'm running a DX7 Gen 3 with Lipo. Rx is a AR12310T with 3 sats along with a Advanced Radio batt share and pin.

It was a bit far but nothing too crazy.. is it just a matter of me flying out of range? I assumed as long as I can safely see the model I'm within range.. ?

Is there a way to check to see if 100% lost signal? Thanks for any advice! Also Radio was 8.7 volt. Charged previous flying outting.
LongRacing is online now Find More Posts by LongRacing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-11-2019, 03:19 PM
Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
United States, IL, Moline
Joined Oct 2008
1,892 Posts
Didn't look at your antennas telemetry screen? Without seeing that screen, we are now guessing.
nappyroots2182 is online now Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
Old 07-11-2019, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by KenSue
United States, MS, Gulfport
Joined Jan 2011
1,221 Posts
I had a similar issue. I’ve been flying a EF110 Yak. It’s setup with a AR12310T, 2 Pulse 2s lipos, a tech aero IBEC and flying with a DX18. Other than the radio, all of the components were new. I flew approximately 4 gallons of gas without any problems.

Then one day in the third flight the ailerons would sporadically deflect causing the plane to sharply roll to the right. I managed to get the plane on the ground. Thinking the batteries might have gotten too low I put in a fresh set. The fourth flight presented the same problem but more exaggerated. I managed to get the plane down again.

We tried to recreate the issue on the ground while taxing and could not.

I went back to the first set of batteries and they showed they had over 70% left. Load tested the batteries and they were above 7 volts.

I changed the receiver to a NIB AR20 channel receiver, repositioned the satellites, repositioned the telemetry antennas, changed the plugs and cleaned the caps (I found a little bit of silicon was covering the cap and there were arc marks going through the silicon). After all of that the problem disappeared.

I sent the AR12310T in to Horizon and they could not find anything wrong with it. I bought a new AR12310T and the problem has not reoccurred since. I also was surprised I had not updated my radio. I was in version 1.20. That has been corrected.

My point is I have no idea what caused the problem. But something that I did above fixed it. It never dawned on me to check hold and losses when the issue first appeared. So I don’t know if it was an antenna issue. I have since and there’s nothing showing to even remotely be worried about.

Hope that helps. But nappyroots is correct, it’s a guess at this point.
KenSue is offline Find More Posts by KenSue
Last edited by KenSue; 07-11-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:43 PM
Find More Posts by mk1_turbo
Jason
United States, CT, Wallingford
Joined Aug 2015
273 Posts
I had a DX7 a few years ago, stopped putting out signal.

Just died. Horizon acted like they where amazed by this and told me they have never seen this happen before.......the Spektrum logo on the face of the radio was no longer illuminated.........which means its no longer putting out a signal.

They assigned blame to "bad luck" , told me they where very sorry, and sent me a new radio ( Button up your shirt Horizon , your hearts hangin out)

I never really used the new unit and found myself an 11X which I still use today.
mk1_turbo is offline Find More Posts by mk1_turbo
Old 07-11-2019, 11:06 PM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRacing View Post
I'm running a DX7 Gen 3 with Lipo. Rx is a AR12310T with 3 sats along with a Advanced Radio batt share and pin.
What's an Advanced Radio batt share and pin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRacing View Post
Is there a way to check to see if 100% lost signal? Thanks for any advice!
Yes, your telemetry should have showed something. A total signal loss would be a "HOLD" alert, and shown on your telemetry screen... also that telemetry data that radio is capable of will tell a good tale of how that signal is performing.
Did you check any of the data as far as fades, frame losses, and/or holds?
Therein would lie a big key to your question.

Notice above I said loss of signal.. but if the plane actually lost power immediately(loose connector, etc...).. the telemetry signal would simply stop, in which case you would get an alert... which is usually what its set to as a default setting, unless you change it. Loss of signal and loss of power are 2 different issues.

What power source does your ignition come from? (could that be the Advanced Radio batt share???)..
If your ignition and Rx are ran off same power source, and your engine kept running, that would tell me you didn't loose power... because if there were a power loss, the engine would also die.

Without the data, as someone mentioned, it's literally a guess as to what happened. I would suggest if you're not familiar with the telemetry and features it offers, that would be a good thing to study.

The telemetry would tell you how each of the Rx's are performing(main and 3 remote Rx's), as well as give you a voltage report.... and every parameter of that telemetry is adjustable and settable.

You can have voice/vibe/tone alerts set for anything that's extremely important, then go to voice only for other alerts, and/or vibe or tone... there's just so many things and ways it can all be set up... You can set it up to give reports every minute or whatever, you can set it so you just flip a switch and it gives a report... in this day and age, that's our best bet on finding what goes wrong in most cases.

So yeah.. you never mentioned telemetry even though both of your components are capable..... and I'm still wondering what Advanced Radio batt share is... LOL.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Last edited by DGrant; 07-11-2019 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:28 AM
Find More Posts by KMatch
United States, TX, Bay City
Joined Nov 2016
584 Posts
If an SD card was in the trans, what about using a telemetry log viewer?
KMatch is online now Find More Posts by KMatch
Old 07-13-2019, 10:24 AM
Find More Posts by 3DJP
United States, NJ, Penns Grove
Joined Dec 2015
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMatch View Post
If an SD card was in the trans, what about using a telemetry log viewer?
I was told never to fly with the SD card in the transmitter..
3DJP is offline Find More Posts by 3DJP
Old 07-13-2019, 11:16 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,053 Posts
"I was told never to fly with the SD card in the transmitter."

did this person expound on why not to fly with the SD card in the transmitter? that would be the really interesting conversation, right up there with the flat earthers.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 07-13-2019, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by mk1_turbo
Jason
United States, CT, Wallingford
Joined Aug 2015
273 Posts
I never remove my SD card...........Id like to hear more on this though.
mk1_turbo is offline Find More Posts by mk1_turbo
Old 07-13-2019, 09:07 PM
Joined Nov 2016
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DJP View Post
I was told never to fly with the SD card in the transmitter..
Let me be politically correct when I politely state this is the dumbest warning I've heard in a good while. Not to disparage the person - only the warning. If you were using telemetry it could be a good recording of what went wrong, for one example of why you use an SD card.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:11 PM
Find More Posts by 3DJP
United States, NJ, Penns Grove
Joined Dec 2015
1,072 Posts
Nevermind I just make [email protected] up for fun... hey Newbie... for future quotes.. you can just click on the quote icon instead of wasting time typing it.. for a guy that knows it all I’m surprised you didn’t know that! I really love this site
3DJP is offline Find More Posts by 3DJP
Old 07-13-2019, 11:34 PM
Joined Nov 2016
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DJP View Post
Nevermind I just make [email protected] up for fun... hey Newbie... for future quotes.. you can just click on the quote icon instead of wasting time typing it.. for a guy that knows it all Iím surprised you didnít know that! I really love this site
What are you talking about?? I never attacked you - only the person who foolishly told you to never use an SD card. Similar to Newbie.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,053 Posts
3D - advice that directly contradicts the practices of the overwhelming majority is probably not the advice you want to follow.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 07-14-2019, 06:54 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
toledo ohio
Joined Jan 2009
10,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
"I was told never to fly with the SD card in the transmitter."

did this person expound on why not to fly with the SD card in the transmitter? that would be the really interesting conversation, right up there with the flat earthers.
That was true with JR radios. At least the XG11 I had. The issue was it would not shut down correctly. But that was the only issues . When I talked to JR America's they told me about it. Once I removed it, no more issues . Not sure though if Spektrum is similar.
jamesrxx951 is online now Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 07-14-2019, 07:53 PM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
1,083 Posts
On the top of page 19 of the DX7G2 manual, it plainly states the following, which would be impossible to achieve if one did not keep an SD installed in the radio.

When all else fails, read the manual
RCAddiction is offline Find More Posts by RCAddiction

Quick Reply