Old 11-09-2018, 05:02 PM
Find More Posts by LongRacing
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Jul 2018
37 Posts
Discussion
Hanger 9 TAYLORCRAFT - Decked out ?

Hi Guys,

So I found a NIB (gen-2) Hanger 9 Taylorcraft, this is going to be my winter project & I plan on decking her out in style! This will include a smoke setup (picked up a Slim Line Showtime pump #2021) and a Electro-Dynamics DHC-2 Beaver Full LED light kit & Running High Voltage RX/Servo Set-up

My Question to the experts on here.. If you had this project and could trick this airframe out to the max.. can you think of anything additional I could do? Due to the smoke set-up, I will be a bit limited on Cockpit. Unless someone has pictures of their set-up?

Last question.. I have a DLE30 for her with a Bowman ring, but now I'm thinking a rear exhaust for less hacking of the cowl. Maybe a RCGF 35cc RE ?

Thanks for your input guys! Really looking forward to this one!
LongRacing is offline Find More Posts by LongRacing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-11-2018, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by crankcase
baddogsmokes@gmail.com
United States, MN, Isanti
Joined Apr 2016
470 Posts
I would suggest preheating your smoke oil with a small preheater tube running through your muffler with a 30-35 size gas motor. also being that your going to be tight on space, you can plan on a smaller smoke oil tank if your misting or atomizing your smoke oil. You can save space and weight of on-board smoke oil without sacrificing smoke time.
crankcase is offline Find More Posts by crankcase
Old 11-11-2018, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Apr 2009
2,478 Posts
That's pretty nice.
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old 11-12-2018, 12:14 AM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
Thanks!

@long ~ You may also send a note over to iflytailies.com. They do some amazing work and can create about anything you can imagine for your cockpit.
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Old 11-12-2018, 12:35 PM
Find More Posts by LongRacing
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Jul 2018
37 Posts
Unbelievable!! That's beautiful!! Exactly what I was thinking.. actually even more than I was thinking lol.. but amazing!!! Thank you for the great images and ideas. I will certainly check out ifltailes.

Crankcase, thanks also for the smoke input.. I will be purchasing a BadDog nozzle. Any idea what size smoke tank I should use when using this nozzle? I currently have a 14oz, 17oz & 32oz tanks. I was leaning toward the 17oz... flight times will be around 12-15min.
LongRacing is offline Find More Posts by LongRacing
Old 11-12-2018, 05:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
It is my understanding you can run smaller tanks with BadDog and still get the same amount of smoke-on time... you may just have to play around and see.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:41 PM
Find More Posts by crankcase
baddogsmokes@gmail.com
United States, MN, Isanti
Joined Apr 2016
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRacing View Post
Unbelievable!! That's beautiful!! Exactly what I was thinking.. actually even more than I was thinking lol.. but amazing!!! Thank you for the great images and ideas. I will certainly check out ifltailes.

Crankcase, thanks also for the smoke input.. I will be purchasing a BadDog nozzle. Any idea what size smoke tank I should use when using this nozzle? I currently have a 14oz, 17oz & 32oz tanks. I was leaning toward the 17oz... flight times will be around 12-15min.
It all depends on throttle management and your smoke pump to throttle curve setup. For smoke tank size calculating, plan on 2-3 ounces per minute at WOT. If your going to smoke at reduced throttle levels your going to gain smoke time since you will be pumping less fluid.
crankcase is offline Find More Posts by crankcase
Old 11-13-2018, 12:42 AM
Find More Posts by Texastbird
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Oct 2008
1,343 Posts
Is there enough room to stuff a 30cc engine in there? My buddy had one quite some time ago and it seemed like his G26 was a pretty tight fit if I remember right.
Texastbird is offline Find More Posts by Texastbird
Old 12-05-2018, 07:49 AM
Find More Posts by flyboy34
United States, WI, Genoa City
Joined Feb 2007
1 Posts
Nice job! Whose kit is your cub? What size is the motor? What size ESC? Where did you get the hinges for the doors? Finally, where did you purchase the motor standoffs from?

Thanks
flyboy34 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy34
Old 12-05-2018, 10:16 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy34 View Post
Nice job! Whose kit is your cub? What size is the motor? What size ESC? Where did you get the hinges for the doors? Finally, where did you purchase the motor standoffs from?

Thanks
Like the original poster, mine started as a Hanger9 ARF. People do not immediately recognize it as all the gloss and shine on the plastic covering has been matted.

It is flying the Power160 pictured and I don't think it ever drew more than 50-60amps. All the hardware, hinges, standoffs, etc, came with the ARF and the motor. H9 offers a very complete kit, all that is left to add is detail.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:01 PM
Find More Posts by cherrybomb48
Geaux Lower!
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Oct 2010
892 Posts
DLE 30 pulls it well but you will have to put a rather large hole in the firewall for proper spacing. I don’t think you will have room for a rear exhaust at all.
cherrybomb48 is offline Find More Posts by cherrybomb48
Old 12-13-2018, 07:38 PM
Find More Posts by smking0656
United States, PA, Hamburg
Joined May 2013
54 Posts
I just replaced the G26 in mine with a DLE30. It takes a bit of work bit it fits.
smking0656 is offline Find More Posts by smking0656
Old 12-14-2018, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by smking0656
United States, PA, Hamburg
Joined May 2013
54 Posts
Here are a few more pictures of my DLE30 install. I had to use a lot of my brain power to get this to work. Not sure if this is the best engine to use if you want a detail cabin. I had to put the fuel tank in the cabin and the throttle servo in the original fuel tank location. You will have to cut a big hole in the firewall for the carb. A better engine might be one with a front carb like the Evo 33gx. I had the DLE30 so I made it work and I'm not interested in scale looks for this plane.
smking0656 is offline Find More Posts by smking0656
Old 12-14-2018, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by Renegadeflyer
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Feb 2016
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankcase View Post
I would suggest preheating your smoke oil with a small preheater tube running through your muffler with a 30-35 size gas motor. also being that your going to be tight on space, you can plan on a smaller smoke oil tank if your misting or atomizing your smoke oil. You can save space and weight of on-board smoke oil without sacrificing smoke time.

Agree with what he says, but to do smoke on this it is going to be VERY tight. There is barely a good way to mount fuel and smoke tanks in this plane. I had a DLE 30 with stock muffler on mine, it is the perfect motor for this plane, but the gas tank is tight. If you forgo a pilot and cockpit, there is room for smoke and gas tanks, but if you want a clean looking plane, there is not going to be room for batteries, smoke pump, gas and smoke tank, the space up in front is just too small for all of that. i replaced the stock tank with a 12 ounce Sullivan round tank for gas, but I didn't have smoke in mine.
Renegadeflyer is offline Find More Posts by Renegadeflyer

Quick Reply