to remove ads between posts
Old 10-15-2021, 08:02 PM
Find More Posts by RICHMATH
FLYEMBIG
United States, UT, St George
Joined Apr 2014
802 Posts
Post 749;
I am so happy to hear that you did not get hurt! Thanks Jack for sharing that with us.
I stopped making the RCS a while back due to my health and advanced age, but it was because of stories like this, (and the requests of 180+ RC Pilots), that persuaded me to make the RCS available again for our hobby. I have seen first hand (no pun intended) the results of a prop strike on the human hand. Along with the pain comes regret. I have heard from some of my RC friends of fellow RC Pilots that could no longer continue in their hobby after a serious hand injury, which was preventable.
Don't risk it guys, if you don't want to use an RCS, use a wooden dowel, screw driver or break a branch off a tree but please do not take the risk, its seriously not worth it.

If you are thinking of what to gift yourself or your fellow RC friend this Christmas, consider something that may save some pain. If you would like one, its best to order now to be sure I can get you one in time. Don't know how much longer my arthritic hands will allow me to continue making these.

Thanks everyone and please keep your safety in mind.

Richard
RICHMATH is online now Find More Posts by RICHMATH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2021, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by phoenixjeff123
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2010
406 Posts
Tried and True

I had obtained one of the first runs of the RCS and now the second run. They are the best damn things since sliced bread. I use it to start a DA 215 and a 3W 170. They don't miss a beat and my hand stays well away from the prop. The second run with the aluminum fittings just scream Professional Prop Starter!!!!!! Thanks for such a wonderful product RICHMATH...........!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHMATH View Post
I have been getting a lot of inquiries as to the availability of the RCS.
Yes I still have them. They are still available and ready to ship.

Thanks,
Richard
phoenixjeff123 is offline Find More Posts by phoenixjeff123
Old 10-20-2021, 08:57 AM
Find More Posts by Pilotx1
United States, IL, Hoffman Estates
Joined Aug 2020
20 Posts
I bought one of the second gen/run RCS and its very very well constructed so absolutely zero complaints

however I find it very awkward to use and have gone back to hand propping while wearing an old armored motorcycle racing glove.
I feel like maybe I'm doing something wrong with the RCS especially given the number of very happy people using them
My engines are on the small side of the spectrum for gas, (35/45cc) but I'd still rather not get hit with that prop when it kicks back

other than the RCS videos out there, anyone have any suggestions for how to use it, or is it just a practice thing until I get used to it?
Pilotx1 is offline Find More Posts by Pilotx1
Old 10-20-2021, 09:47 AM
FLYEMBIG
Joined Apr 2014
802 Posts
RCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post
I bought one of the second gen/run RCS and its very very well constructed so absolutely zero complaints

however I find it very awkward to use and have gone back to hand propping while wearing an old armored motorcycle racing glove.
I feel like maybe I'm doing something wrong with the RCS especially given the number of very happy people using them
My engines are on the small side of the spectrum for gas, (35/45cc) but I'd still rather not get hit with that prop when it kicks back

other than the RCS videos out there, anyone have any suggestions for how to use it, or is it just a practice thing until I get used to it?

You just need to practice a little to get the right motion down. The main thing is to flip the prop so the RCS rolls the length of the prop and off the end of the prop without hooking it off the front of the prop. It helps to stand slightly to the left of the engine, that way your arm is not hooking as the stick gets close to the end of the prop. Keep practicing and once you get use to the action I think you will use it over a glove.

Richard
Old 10-30-2021, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by T-ster
United States, TX, Allen
Joined Feb 2009
107 Posts
Rolling Chicken Stick to the RESCUE!

I have been flying gas burners since 1997 so am not new to the large engine scene, but a situation arose the other day that really woke me up.

I have been having issues with a ZDZ 180 and had sent it in to see if its poor running issue could be fixed. They found the case had an air leak so I thought all my problems would go away. Unfortunately that was not the case. After I got it back it would not run above 1/2 throttle so I was getting quite frustrated. During one of my attempts to fix the issue I replaced the stock ignition with an aftermarket. When I went to start it (with my rolling chicken stick as always), it kicked back like a mule. It hit with such force that it separated the "rolling" part of the chicken stick from the handle and sent it over my fence and 50' into my neighbor's back yard. Not only that, but it was airborne for 4 or 5 seconds so I would imagine it must have attained a height of 30' or so as well! I had to go inside and calm down for 45 minutes before I could think clear enough to analyze what just happened..... I am running a 3 blade 30x13 carbon fiber prop and it hit with such force to not only bust the rolling chicken stick apart, but bruised my thumb and my wrist still hurts 3 days later. If that would have been my bare hand it would have been an awful disaster and may have removed several fingers. Even if I would have been just wearing a heavy glove I am sure it would have required an ER visit with stiches or much worse.... The rolling chicken stick took all the abuse the engine could dish out and I only came out of it with a sore wrist. I am EXTREMELY lucky that I always use the RCS. (By the way I found out the engine pulse port to the carb was mostly blocked with debris and when I cleaned it out the motor runs like a dream!) I am not quite sure why the other ignition caused the kick back as I had used one for a ZDZ with an offset sensor. However, I reinstalled the stock ignition and all is well with the world.

Needless to say, I have ordered another Rolling Chicken Stick to replace my damaged one.

ALL HAIL THE RCS! So let it be written, so let it be done!

Trevor
T-ster is offline Find More Posts by T-ster
Old 10-30-2021, 11:08 PM
FLYEMBIG
Joined Apr 2014
802 Posts
Post 756;
Trevor, I am so glad to hear you did not get hurt! A 180cc will not just give you a nasty cut but has the power to do very serious damage to your entire hand. I have had more RC pilots write me and tell me about similar experiences (post 749) then I can remember and every time they tell me that they were saved from the ER because they were using the RCS it really makes me happy. 24 years you have been spinning those props and your number finally came up. You made a wise decision to not hand prop. I bet it shook you up when you sat and thought about it and what could have happened to your hand, and life, if you would have been caught with your hand in there. Thank you for sharing that with us. Again, I am so happy to hear you were not hurt! You and I will both sleep very well tonight, and tomorrow you will still have your hand.

Richard
Old 11-04-2021, 12:34 AM
Find More Posts by pegleg1972
Okeechobee,Florida
Joined Feb 2010
6 Posts
Where can i purchase one of these?
pegleg1972 is offline Find More Posts by pegleg1972
Old 11-04-2021, 12:50 AM
Find More Posts by T-ster
United States, TX, Allen
Joined Feb 2009
107 Posts
Per post 738, contact Richard:

For more information on the RCS or to order, e-mail him at this address; [email protected]
T-ster is offline Find More Posts by T-ster
Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM
Find More Posts by flyingboxer
Crashing with style since 1994
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Dec 2010
6 Posts
Hello guys. Iím a physician who lives from their hands performing heart surgeries. I would not have the risk my hands being wacked from an engine prop. Please guys, let me know where can I buy a roller chicken stick..? Iím going to send Rick an email.
flyingboxer is offline Find More Posts by flyingboxer

Quick Reply