to remove ads between posts
Old 11-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by rede2fly
GRAVITY SUCKS
florida
Joined Jan 2006
4,821 Posts
Re: yak 54 50cc

i wouldnt if i were you.... go with the DL. the dist is in the u.s.a. nobody carrys those motors yet and have not be proven. gotta say they are cheap though
rede2fly is offline Find More Posts by rede2fly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Find More Posts by cyoung450
Which Rudder??
Plano, TX
Joined Jan 2006
611 Posts

I have heard good things about the DL engines, have a few people at my field that fly them, break-in would be 22x8 then for 3D after break in my favorite is the 23x8 Mens, or the Vess 23A.

Troy Built for all of your hardware needs.

CY
cyoung450 is offline Find More Posts by cyoung450
Old 11-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Find More Posts by ivanflight
Zagreb,Croatia
Joined Oct 2007
45 Posts

I tried to order the cheap engine from Hong Kong. First after not being able to reach anyone I still decided to try and order and was unsecesfull.End result was that they tried to steal credit card info so after a couple of hours after attempting an order, my credit card company called me and told me they canceled my card because info. was stolen on the net.
So much for trying the new cheap engine!!!
ivanflight is offline Find More Posts by ivanflight
Old 11-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Find More Posts by ivanflight
Zagreb,Croatia
Joined Oct 2007
45 Posts

another update on our chinese engines here is the email they wrote after I was nasty a bit!

Hello
Certainly security is a top priority for us. However your credit card is processed by paypal, not us. So if there is any 'hacking' then it's getting done at paypal.
Our engines are not fake. In fact I have never heard of a fake engine before. The gas engine market is too small for someone to bother making a "fake" engine. If they did, it would sell for only a short time as the community is well connected and as I said, small.

Our engines are sold at such a price because they are not branded. You might already know this, but our engines are also sold as CRRCpro, GRpro, Thor and several other brands in the US and Europe markets.

We hope you get the issue with your credit card sorted. And please try to call our 800 number during office hours in Hong Kong.

Best regards,
Samee
customersupport.com
Unitedhobbies.com
ivanflight is offline Find More Posts by ivanflight
Old 07-21-2008, 03:10 AM
Find More Posts by Pape
Joined Oct 2007
3 Posts

does any one ealse fly this plane I am really intrested in more information.

Thanks
Pape is offline Find More Posts by Pape
Old 11-19-2008, 05:15 AM
Find More Posts by ae4nr
Boomer NC Wilkes county
Joined Nov 2008
242 Posts

I am also looking at the 25% Yak from Nitro models and plan on using the DL 50 more or less for the cost factor.Although the warranty factor from Desert Aircraft is very tempting, I have seen both engines run and both seem to perform excellent. Would like to hear more about the Nitro Models plane great price but will it perform as well as lets say a Hanger 9 Yak or the the Extreme flight Yak ?
ae4nr is offline Find More Posts by ae4nr
Old 12-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by bobrev06x
United States, NH, Canaan
Joined Oct 2006
1,939 Posts

i have one of these planes but have not flown it yet. i went with the DL 50 with a vess 22 A. the engine starts and runs very well. i'm running futaba 2.4 for guidance and hitec hs645mg servos all around. a 4.8 volt 1500mah nicd provides the power for my ignition and a 6 volt 5000 nimh runs the rx and servos. i picked up a CF wing tube from TBM . size is 25mm x 900mm. weighed on a postal scale , it comes in at 3.6 oz. the stock aluminum tube is 9.4 oz. this plane weighs right around 16 lbs. with the CF tube. i understand that the DL50 will produce close to 30lbs. of thrust. shouldnt be too much trouble to get this thing in the air if thats the case. my swivel clevis horns are hangar 9. 3 inch wheels from dubro. waiting til spring for the maiden. this is my first gas airplane so i'm in for a treat i'm sure. anyone else got one of these planes yet? this is gonna be fun!
bobrev06x is offline Find More Posts by bobrev06x
Old 12-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Find More Posts by TooBizzy
Georgetown Ohio
Joined Jan 2008
924 Posts

Just got this one for Christmas:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/yak5450giscr.html

Haven't started the build yet. Waiting on supplies. I bought a DL 50 early in December and gave my wife a list of about 3 50cc size planes I would like to have. I ended up with this one!

I have 5 Hitec HS7955TG servos ordered for it. Probably extreme overkill. But being in the hobby for almost 30 years, I've learned the hard way by going light on certain things....Please no comments on going with a cheap plane! I usually go over every plane I buy with a fine tooth comb, so adding a little glue here and there doesn't bother me a bit.

After unpacking the plane/hardware and looking it over, I can say I'm impressed so far. It came with all necessary hardware including ball links and nice purple anodized aluminum bolt on servo control horns. I can say I'm not impressed with the two piece landing gear and the small wheels, but I haven't bought a kit yet that I didn't modify in some way or other...For half the price of other comparable 50cc size Yaks, I'll deal with the small issues I don't like. I believe we all do this to a certain degree anyway!

Will keep the thread alive with updates as I go if anyones interested. BTW....My plane came just as pictured....
TooBizzy is offline Find More Posts by TooBizzy
Old 12-31-2008, 06:47 AM
Joined Oct 2006
1,939 Posts

is this your first 50cc plane toobizzy? and your doing a good thing when you go and hit the glue points again on these models. they seemed to have missed quite a few on the one that i got. it seems to be a decent model though and it's just a stepping stone anyway toward something better. i've been looking at the airwild extra 260 lately and really like a lot of things about it but, i'll throw this one around for a bit . i'm sure i'll appreciate the airwild after flying this one. there's quite a weight difference here between these two. i've yet to maiden this one and will post a vid this spring. enjoy your build and keep us posted here. thanks man
Old 12-31-2008, 09:40 AM
Georgetown Ohio
Joined Jan 2008
924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrev06x View Post
is this your first 50cc plane toobizzy?
How'd you guess? Yes this is my first gas plane so I took the advice of a lot of the members here and jumped up to the 50cc class. I'm sure I won't regret it a bit! I had my eye on lots of "More Expensive" planes, but thought I would do like you and fly this one a bit before moving on up. Its a perfect way of spreading out the fun!

After unpacking the plane and looking it over, I only found (1) plywood plate that had come loose in shipping. Again not a big deal to me. I reinforce everything that I feel is necessary to help in those not so soft landings!

I should be able to start on it in a few days and will keep you posted. As an added note, I will be powering my electronics with (2) A123 flight packs. An 1100ma on the ignition and a 2300ma on the reciever. Seems to be the power of choice these days. Hope I can use the weight of these to get balance without adding any lead.

I've been looking for someone who has this exact model (The ones their selling now) and can't seem to find anyone posting about it. Maybe they'll show up now that Christmas is over and the fact that Nitroplanes sold out of this one! There has to be a bunch of Happy Campers out there that just got one of these and are dying to talk about it!
Old 12-31-2008, 06:26 PM
Joined Oct 2006
1,939 Posts

yeah i hear ya. well, if you have any questions , maybe i can help. mine's all done and waiting for spring so, come on spring! ha! we've been flying off the snow up here in new hampshire for the last couple of years. you really have to catch a good day though cuz otherwise, it just sux! we try to fly at least once a month and have been able to do it so far. i cant wait to get this 50cc yak up and see if i can handle it. i think it'll be fine. i reinforced my landing gear block and hit every joint that i could reach with epoxy on this thing. make sure you drop this thing onto the runway nice and soft because i dont think it's going to take a rough one. and especially not a harrier landing. that would be just ugly.

i was very pleased when i opened mine up and saw the quality of the components. dont forget to use blue loctite on everything that's threaded. "everything!" where ever there's a screw thread...there's a disaster waiting to happen. just from what i've read. these things vibrate something wicked so better safe than sorry. i've had mine running a few times and it's awesome. my DL 50 starts pretty easily and seems to run decent. the gas scene sure is different from the nitro that i'm used to. and i like the size of the 50cc planes. although they're a bear to handle. i cant even imagine trying to deal with a 40% plane. man.....thats huge!
Old 01-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Georgetown Ohio
Joined Jan 2008
924 Posts

Its cold, windy, and miserable down here in Southern Ohio too! Theres about six of us that try to get together whenever the weather breaks and the winds not blowing 100mph... But it seems like if it warms up in the winter, theres a lot of wind that comes with it.

I posted in another thread, I believe a DL50 thread, that the plane I have has a nice tunnel built in for a canister or pipe. I had bought the DL50 and a Pitts Wraparound early in December not knowing which plane my wife was getting me. So I'm debating on whether to get the canister and sell the Pitts, or just fly the pitts and get the cansiter later? Something to look forward to.....

There is a nice looking canister on Ebay right now for a $118 bucks shipped. I'll be keeping an eye on it. Although I have to be careful, need to get the CC bills caught up from Christmas plus Febuary is always a KILLER of a month. Property Taxes and Insurance all due at the same time...Time to tighten the belt!
Old 01-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Joined Oct 2006
1,939 Posts

yeah, mine has the tunnel as well but i've all ready carved the cowl for the stock pipe so i'm going to run it for now. i only had to punch a small hole througt the very very bottom for the spark plug and pipe so it's no big deal really. those yak cowls are huge. i'm thinking about baffling too for better cooling. i'll keep an eye on the operating temps when it gets warm this summer first to see if it really needs it. i might not have to do anything at all in that department. but i did pick up some 4-40 dubro pull/pull cables and hardware for my yak. the ones that came with the plane didnt look very strong. i got a CF wing tube as well which is going to save close to 6 oz. of auw. amazing how heavy thos aluminum tubes are. my yak came with two piece landing gear too, like yours. but the picture on the nitroplanes site shows a one piece gear. it'll probably be ok though. i might get CF gear for it too. should save a bit more weight there.

i've been looking around for a video of this plane in action. have you located one? there's one on youtube bit it's electric. looks like it flies quite well. i dont know what the weight is on that one. it might be lighter that a gasser. not sure. but i also found one on there with the cs of yours. the video quality isnt really that good but you can get a good idea of how it flies. the pilot did a good job with it. it hovered well. it'll be fun to start the trimming process on this one. cant wait. there's a picture of a 50 scale yak 54 that i fly too in that bunch of pics. only got 4 flights on it and had to put it up for the winter. really want to get that one out again too. it's a fun one. happy new year!
Old 01-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Georgetown Ohio
Joined Jan 2008
924 Posts

My firewall appears to have the same crosshairs as yours and are offset to the right (Facing the firewall). Can these crosshairs be used to "Accurately" position the standoffs so the prop shaft is centered in the cowl? I'm assuming that the vertical crosshair offset to the right is to allow for the right thrust built into the firewall?

When you mounted your engine, was your crosshairs close enought to use for alignments? Just curious, might save me a bit of time when installing the engine.

BTW...Thanks for all the pics and the tips in building. I have given the wing tube and landing gear some thought as well. I see TBM has the CF wing tube for about $30. I was able to get my Hitec 7955's from them at a really good price. They seem to ship things out pretty quick too.

Quick Reply