Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2018, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by Dano02vfr
"That will buff right out"
United States, OR, Oregon City
Joined Apr 2010
125 Posts
GP 178

First off, a big thanks to Joe for working with us!
I was lucky enough to get to fly one with the Tillotson carburetor, it is a surreal experience.
There are no more "dead spots" on your throttle stick, every mm of movement does something.
There is no more burble at almost every throttle setting.
The idle comes down much lower, so landing with a 30/14 prop is a lot more relaxed!
Up lines are 1/2 throttle, incredible power!

Also, the exhaust tips are dry, no more over fueling, no waiting for the motor to "clear its throat" on take off.
This motor has perfect throttle transition, I don't have to "fly the motor" any more, now I can concentrate on flying the plane!

I'm exited to see this development for GP, this is da bomb!
Thanks again to Joe for all of his help, he put in a ton of work on this!
Dano

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYMAN022 View Post
Here are some More pictures of the new 178 by Gp. We got it on a stand today and are working on some videos.
The changes that were made made this engine made it one of the smoothest running larger two stroke engines I have ever ran.
The power also is amazing . We have been testing this Tillotson carb for a few months and it is a perfect match for the 178, the low and mid range is super smooth. Thanks Dan,Russ and Rob for your help.

The changes to the cylinders,crankcase,prop hub, reed angle and carburetor has made this engine a smooth running beast.

I tested a 30-13 wide falcon carbon on the stand with only a few ounces of fuel though the engine and was amazed amount thrust of prop rip on the ground .

I will be posting videos later in the week and get the weight and some rpm numbers as well.

Gp engine has more releases coming soon, thanks to the factory for hard work put into this engine...
Dano02vfr is offline Find More Posts by Dano02vfr
Old 11-19-2018, 12:42 PM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
7,802 Posts
What are the advantages of a Tillotson carb over the Walbro? Does it have 3 circuits? I am not a fan of carbs in general, and the Walbro is kinda crude. I see that Tillotson has a retrofit EFI system for some of their carbs, that is exciting!
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 11-19-2018, 05:48 PM
Joined Apr 2010
125 Posts
The Walbro carb has just 2 fueling jets, 1 for low speed and one for high speed RPMs, the Tillotson unit has 5 jets to cover a much broader RPM range as far as correct fueling goes.
You are always fueled correctly with the Tillotson since there is a jet to cover more throttle positions than just high and low.
The motor sounds like it is fuel injected, really impressed!

Hope this helps.
Dano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoffman View Post
What are the advantages of a Tillotson carb over the Walbro? Does it have 3 circuits? I am not a fan of carbs in general, and the Walbro is kinda crude. I see that Tillotson has a retrofit EFI system for some of their carbs, that is exciting!
Last edited by Dano02vfr; 11-19-2018 at 08:47 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-19-2018, 05:53 PM
Find More Posts by Jatrizzy
United States, TN, Sparta
Joined Jul 2011
1,224 Posts
Have they changed the tillotson carb? Have seen in the past that people didn't like them because of finicky and didn't play well in the air. Never had an engine with one. Just wondering what has changed.
Jatrizzy is online now Find More Posts by Jatrizzy
Old 11-19-2018, 05:58 PM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
7,802 Posts
Sounds great, will the 123 have a Tillotson as well?
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 11-19-2018, 05:59 PM
Joined Apr 2010
125 Posts
Dunno, Mine has been awesome, same carb (HT-14A) 3W uses on their 170.
Starts on 1st flip, happy dude here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatrizzy View Post
Have they changed the tillotson carb? Have seen in the past that people didn't like them because of finicky and didn't play well in the air. Never had an engine with one. Just wondering what has changed.
Last edited by Dano02vfr; 11-19-2018 at 06:29 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-19-2018, 06:02 PM
Joined Apr 2010
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoffman View Post
Sounds great, will the 123 have a Tillotson as well?
Joe is the person to ask, he's the guy that's been doing the heavy lifting on these motors.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:07 PM
Find More Posts by rooman
They're get'n lower mate.....
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
3,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano02vfr View Post
Dunno, Mine has been awesome, same carb 3W uses on their 170.
Starts on 1st flip, happy dude here.
The 3W 170 csts also comes with the walbro WGA-9 carby
Yes it has often been said that the tilitson was more sensitive on the needles than the walbros - whether it be the thread pitch on the needles is different between the 2 carbs or the number of fuel circuits , have flown both with no major issues , just keep ones fuel filtered & clean
rooman is offline Find More Posts by rooman
Old 11-19-2018, 07:52 PM
Find More Posts by FLYMAN022
Aviatorplus
ohio
Joined Jun 2007
811 Posts
Here are some pictures of the two carbs low and mid range jets, as you can see the tillitson has five and the walbro has two and they both have a high end jets a little different but same function. As the butterfly opens on the tillitson it uncovers the smaller jets in increments to the butterfly opening which relegates the fuel in different stages of the rpm. Were the walbro has two and on the 178 it kept a rich running mid range. The tillitson does have a coarser thread pitch on the needles so you don’t have to turn it as much to achieve tuning results.

In my opinion they are both good carbs but we determined the tillitson was best suited for the 178 as it made the tuning of the low and midrange much smoother. The wb27 is used buy many manufacture and seem to do the trick.

Walbro does make a comparable carb to the ht14a I believe it is the wga9a but proved to be difficult to find.
The 178 is the only engine that will be using the tillitson carb at this point that I know of but that is up to GP factory

The wj71 works great on the 123 and I don’t think there is any plans for change it.
Tillitson and Walbro are known to be two of the best in the carb business.
FLYMAN022 is offline Find More Posts by FLYMAN022
Last edited by FLYMAN022; 11-19-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:53 PM
Aviatorplus
ohio
Joined Jun 2007
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooman View Post
The 3W 170 csts also comes with the walbro WGA-9 carby
Yes it has often been said that the tilitson was more sensitive on the needles than the walbros - whether it be the thread pitch on the needles is different between the 2 carbs or the number of fuel circuits , have flown both with no major issues , just keep ones fuel filtered & clean
I totally agree.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:16 PM
Find More Posts by torquen
Lodi, Ca. USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYMAN022 View Post
Here are some pictures of the two carbs low and mid range jets, as you can see the tillitson has five and the walbro has two and they both have a high end jets a little different but same function. As the butterfly opens on the tillitson it uncovers the smaller jets in increments to the butterfly opening which relegates the fuel in different stages of the rpm. Were the walbro has two and on the 178 it kept a rich running mid range. The tillitson does have a coarser thread pitch so you don’t have to turn it as much to achieve tuning results.

In my opinion they are both good carbs but we determined the tillitson was best suited for the 178 as it made the tuning of the low and midrange much smoother. The wb27 is used buy many manufacture and seem to do the trick.

Walbro does make a comparable carb to the ht14a I believe it is the wga9a but proved to be difficult to find.
The 178 is the only engine that will be using the tillitson carb at this point that I know of but that is up to GP factory

The wj71 works great on the 123 and I don’t think there is any plans for change it.
Tillitson and Walbro are known to be two of the best in the carb business.

3w has been running this carb since at least 2002. I had them on several of my 150, 157, and 170’s. They also modified them and then tillitson started making them for 3w already modified. This is what you have now with the multiple holes. There are still the same amount of jets. It just allows the fuel spray to enter more evenly.

I had and still have at least 20 of these carburetors sitting in a box. The holes go from 2-7 and are in several different locations. Also many different sizes. Once we found what worked the best that’s what was made into production.
torquen is offline Find More Posts by torquen
Old 11-19-2018, 08:27 PM
Aviatorplus
ohio
Joined Jun 2007
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquen View Post
3w has been running this carb since at least 2002. I had them on several of my 150, 157, and 170’s. They also modified them and then tillitson started making them for 3w already modified. This is what you have now with the multiple holes. There are still the same amount of jets. It just allows the fuel spray to enter more evenly.

I had and still have at least 20 of these carburetors sitting in a box. The holes go from 2-7 and are in several different locations. Also many different sizes. Once we found what worked the best that’s what was made into production.
Thanks for the info and nice work. I know they had been around awhile on the 3w engines..The Design was well thought out and works great.
Last edited by FLYMAN022; 11-19-2018 at 08:33 PM.

Quick Reply