logo
Old 04-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by kerwin50
cameron mo
Joined Oct 2010
1,471 Posts
Discussion
goldwing 30 cc mx crash.

I'd just got done putting a remote kill switch on my plane. A 30 cc goldwing MX with a DLE 30 on it.
I had retarded the timing by 3 degrees or so and had retuned it..
now I had been waiting several days to fly it so when I seen a clearing in the rain I took her out to the field.
Now prior to that I had put a lipo in my Futaba 9C with a couple of diodes to reduce the voltage.
I took the battery out of the TX the night before to charge it.
the next day when I got to the field after starting her up my throttle curve seemed way off as did my throttle trim.
Now I had set that all up a week before that with the cowl off and everything was fine.
But now it was really off. It wopuldn't come off Idle till almost a 1/3rd throttle.
So I went into the program screen and reduced the expo on the throttle.
For some reason I dumb thumbed it getting out of the program menu.
I then had to change the throttle trim.
Now mind you I had done all this a week earlier.
I checked all my control surfaces, but I didn't check to make sure the ailerons were in the right direction.
I seen no need to as I've been flying this plane for over a year and I'm using a wye connector for them.
So thinking everything was fine I throttle up and headed down the runway. Now the minute she lifted off she dropped her left wing. This had never happend before but I calmly add right aileron.
To my suprize she rolled left really hard.
Did a full 360 and then caught the left wing tip on terra firma. spinning her around and throwing wood everywhere.
Now she had came to a rest right side up on her belly.
I ran up to her and the 1st thing I noticed was the right aileron was a bit low. I moved the sticks and they worked fine, but upon closer inspection I found they were backwards.
HOW COULD THIS OF HAPPENED?
looking at my plane the lower longerons were gone alone with the bottom of all the formers.
My motor box was busted as well and one side going all the way back to the wing tube as well.
Now the rain had started coming down again so I packed up.
I was thinking if I patch her back together she'll be a lumberwagon.
So I gave Gerry at GMP a call and it just so happened he had a fuse for me.
I got the fuse and stabs for 150 dollars. so now I'm back to work on her.
I did find the the left wing root had some busted sheeting when I got her home but other than that the wings look fine.
I did have a problem with my old wing tube being a smidget bit to big for the fiberglass fuse wing tube.
I sanded the inside so but when I put the wing tube in and twisted it. It broke the glass tube.
I just removed the center of the tube and now it fits fine.
Lots of work left to do.

I'm wondering if I over built the undercarraige the 1st time.
And of course I'm still trying to figure out how the ailerons got reversed. My radio is a 9C
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-01-2012, 07:58 AM
GMD
Find More Posts by GMD
GMD
Joined Jul 2010
269 Posts
Wrong Model?
GMD is offline Find More Posts by GMD
Old 05-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Find More Posts by Siko_Flyer
Know God,no fear!
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Jun 2007
3,681 Posts
I have know ideal if this is the case,but something maybe we should all check on.Our radios are now computers,not like the older 72 days.All pc's\laptops have batteries in them to retain settings in the motherboard,not for when you turn them off,but for when they get unplugged.I wonder if our radios have these?Removing your battery to charge it outside the radio and the onboard battery being dead could cause some lost settings.Anyone know if these 2.4 radio's have these little batteries on the mb?
Jeff Sikes
Siko_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Siko_Flyer
Old 05-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Find More Posts by Robotech
United States, AR, Pine Bluff
Joined Aug 2006
3,872 Posts
I used a Futaba 9C for eight years and regularly removed the battery pack for charging and never lost any settings. The ailerons are the default selection in the servo reverse menu so if he "dumb-thumbed" his way out of the 9C menu, he could have easily changed this. That or he may have had the wrong model selected which would also explain the unexpected change in throttle settings.
Robotech is offline Find More Posts by Robotech
Old 05-01-2012, 12:11 PM
cameron mo
Joined Oct 2010
1,471 Posts
It was the right model.
Yeah it's also a 72 MHZ.
I may very well have dumbed thumbed it.
All I know is I never want this to happen again.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Find More Posts by McFueler
Claremont NC USA
Joined Jun 2006
3,225 Posts
Before Every take off make sure that when you move you ail. stick to the right your right ail goes up then move it left and make sure the left one goes up then check up ele. and then down ele. then right rudder then left rudder, check it before starting the motor and on the runway before you throttle up to take off, Do this EVERY Time !!!!!!! It will save you a plane sooner or latter even if you just flew it check it out before take off !!!!!!!!!!!!!
McFueler is offline Find More Posts by McFueler
Old 05-01-2012, 03:45 PM
cameron mo
Joined Oct 2010
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFueler View Post
Before Every take off make sure that when you move you ail. stick to the right your right ail goes up then move it left and make sure the left one goes up then check up ele. and then down ele. then right rudder then left rudder, check it before starting the motor and on the runway before you throttle up to take off, Do this EVERY Time !!!!!!! It will save you a plane sooner or latter even if you just flew it check it out before take off !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your absolutely right.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:37 PM
Find More Posts by nitrowing
vancouver
Joined Oct 2006
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Your absolutely right.
agree, re check every flight.
Doubt you dum thumbed it, easly a wrong aircraft seting or similar, groundcheck every take off
I. trust, your,full scale pilot would do the same for you.
nitrowing is offline Find More Posts by nitrowing
Old 05-22-2012, 11:48 PM
Find More Posts by FHHuber
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFueler View Post
+1

Too easy to plug in something wrong on many models and thus create reversed ailerons or other issues.

Full control response check before every takeoff. It may find a failed servo...
FHHuber is offline Find More Posts by FHHuber
Old 05-23-2012, 12:01 AM
Find More Posts by rdgood
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Jan 2006
2,059 Posts
Kerwin,

You will do this once.
You will be paranoid forever about aileron reversal.
Actually its a good thing.

Sometimes things like this keep us paying attention to detail.

Ronster
rdgood is offline Find More Posts by rdgood
Old 08-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Find More Posts by rightflyer
United States, OH, Grove City
Joined Apr 2006
119 Posts
Good idea to practice every time. I learned the hard way. Mine were not reversed, but not connected. Plane banked hard left on take-off and I went to correct and nothing. Thankfully it was a plane that was well seasoned and not a new one. My flying buddy and I bug each other each flight-"check your surfaces?"
rightflyer is offline Find More Posts by rightflyer
Old 08-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Find More Posts by PropsnWings
AMA LM CD IP
Joined Jul 2011
4,385 Posts
I am disappointed! no pics ? nah just kiddin ya........ sorry to hear about your plane, but yes, something I do every flight as I taxi out to the runway is move the surfaces, and verify they are working as intended. I once forgot to plug in ailerons on a plane, and by the time I reacted with rudder it was too late and too lil effective. It was a minor damage, but none the less, made me a stickler for checking and rechecking things.
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Old 08-05-2012, 12:56 AM
cameron mo
Joined Oct 2010
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
I am disappointed! no pics ? nah just kiddin ya........ sorry to hear about your plane, but yes, something I do every flight as I taxi out to the runway is move the surfaces, and verify they are working as intended. I once forgot to plug in ailerons on a plane, and by the time I reacted with rudder it was too late and too lil effective. It was a minor damage, but none the less, made me a stickler for checking and rechecking things.
Plus one on that. I've got her back up and flying once again.
I really love my MX.
There is just somthing about that green color sheme.
I've found the v3 fuse to be alittle lighter in the tail as well.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:00 AM
cameron mo
Joined Oct 2010
1,471 Posts
Here's a video of her after my repair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4neuVcCXHPg
Old 08-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Find More Posts by DadsToysBG
Bowling Green, Ky
Joined Mar 2006
728 Posts
You look but don't see. Happened to me once. Now when i do my pre-flight I say " left up, right up" same with the elevator and rudder. I say it out load so I hear myself saying it. Fear keeps me doing it. Dennis
DadsToysBG is offline Find More Posts by DadsToysBG

Quick Reply