United States, TX, Belton
Joined Jun 2008
2,644 Posts
Re: DL-30 / DLE-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugocraft View Post
3DHS 68" Velox with a DL-30

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

Over on the rcgroups thread I've read they are getting it under 10lbs and saying it hovers at only 1/4 throttle!!!!

Dud they posted that vid on this thread ages ago. Awesome flying of an awesome combo!
plowboy is offline Find More Posts by plowboy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Find More Posts by JClark
Is is time to fly yet??
Grove,Ok
Joined Jan 2006
949 Posts

Flew my new 68" Velox with the DL30 today and it never missed a beat. Lots of power and using a Xoar 18X8 for break in. This is a great little engine and will be a real powerhouse when broke in.
Oh and it was a stock DL with no mods at all. I am really happy with it so far.
JClark is offline Find More Posts by JClark
Old 11-23-2009, 12:00 AM
Find More Posts by bcchi
Riverton Wy 82501
Joined Mar 2007
942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captinjohn View Post
If I had it to do over again, I would get the 50 or 55cc DLE engine instead of a 30. There is a lot of airplanes that use 50-55cc engines and some of the problems with the 30DLE is just a pain. I have the 30, and I will do whatever it takes to make it more freindly user. Now I know some are going to say...no problems with it...on the other hand there is quite a few that have problems. Capt,n
Have you flown the DL 30 yet.I am flying three of them and they are getting better all the time .
Only got in a couple of flights this week end,too cold.
Just fly it and don't fret about it. In cold weather run it u p for awhile before take off.
BCCHI
bcchi is offline Find More Posts by bcchi
Old 11-23-2009, 01:01 AM
Find More Posts by Christaneagle
Fly it like you stole it !
Lucama, NC,
Joined Nov 2007
43 Posts

I flew again this past weekend and still have the land and die problem. I noticed if I land on a part of the field (grass) that's smooth it continues to run,but if I happen to land in an area that's not so smooth it dies. A friend went out and picked it up and turned the plane, carb. facing down and it quit immediately. We fired it back up and tilted it slowly as before and it died again. I 'am turning the engine on the firewall to get the carb. at an angle and see if that helps. Others have done this but I don't know if it helped or not?
Christaneagle is offline Find More Posts by Christaneagle
Old 11-23-2009, 01:04 AM
Find More Posts by zoomer260
Louisville,KY
Joined Jun 2006
3,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedijody View Post
Yes, it's a stock DLE spark plug. I have an NGK one also, I just haven't gotten around to putting it up yet, I've been thinking of changing between the two based on my real time experience in the shop, IE; if it's a DL plug, the stock plugs are working well, if it's an NGK plug that means I've been having trouble with the supplied ones.

If it helps, I have had no issues with the DL supplied plug. For the hell of it I did swap to the NGK. I keep the DL for another spare.
zoomer260 is offline Find More Posts by zoomer260
Old 11-23-2009, 01:28 AM
Find More Posts by Jedijody
Proud father of 3 Soldiers
Joined Jun 2008
3,662 Posts

Until a few months ago I never had a single problem with dozens of stock DL spark plugs, since then they have been rather hit and miss. Haven't spent to much time trying to figure out why yet but I will soon.
Jedijody is offline Find More Posts by Jedijody
Old 11-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Find More Posts by QSPILOTCMH
United States, FL, Wesley Chapel
Joined Jun 2008
118 Posts

Quick Update -

It's been a while since I posted about my DLE30 in my TLT Sukhoi 25%. Since I damaged the fuselase a month ago on a deadstick I put the plane in the corner. Well I got a new fuselage from Tom at Valleyview RC and got everything transferred over. I ran it Friday with the cowl off and it ran great in flight and only quit 3 out of 12 on landing touchdown. I ran it Saturday and Sunday with the cowl on and again it was good inflight and quit a few times on landing touchdown.

I'm not sure what changed but in the old fuselage it ran like crap in the air and would quit on every touchdown. Maybe I have the needles set perfect now. I did open the hole a bit larger on my 35mm film container for the metering valve.

I would still like to get a better idle and prevent the engine quiting on touchdown. Sometimes it idles at 2000 when I retard the throttle and next time its at 1800. Can the high needle effect that?

I have a Digital throttle servo with double balllinks so there is no slop in the rod. Once everything gets figured out with DL's fix I will sent it back to Jody.
QSPILOTCMH is offline Find More Posts by QSPILOTCMH
Old 11-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Find More Posts by Christaneagle
Fly it like you stole it !
Lucama, NC,
Joined Nov 2007
43 Posts

QSPILOTCMH,
My DLE 30 idles the same way it does not always retard to the same rpm? I wish I knew the answer to that I think that would solve my problem. I even put the idle stop screw back in and that didn't help.
Christaneagle is offline Find More Posts by Christaneagle
Old 11-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Find More Posts by Captinjohn
Hesperia Michigan USA
Joined Feb 2006
570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christaneagle View Post
I flew again this past weekend and still have the land and die problem. I noticed if I land on a part of the field (grass) that's smooth it continues to run,but if I happen to land in an area that's not so smooth it dies. A friend went out and picked it up and turned the plane, carb. facing down and it quit immediately. We fired it back up and tilted it slowly as before and it died again. I 'am turning the engine on the firewall to get the carb. at an angle and see if that helps. Others have done this but I don't know if it helped or not?
I placed my DLE30 on about a 20 degree angle and it helped a lot. Re-adjust for new angle and it may help. I wish you the best outcome in trying that. Capt,n http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/DLE30-Cold-day-test-run http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/DLE30-Tilt-test-run
Captinjohn is offline Find More Posts by Captinjohn
Last edited by Captinjohn; 11-23-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Find More Posts by QSPILOTCMH
United States, FL, Wesley Chapel
Joined Jun 2008
118 Posts

Yes it does not change the idle rpms everytime I goto idle, however I can't figure out what process causes it.

I just got back from flying. In flight performance was great with no changes during loops, rolls, knife-edge, snaps, tumbles, etc.... It did quit on every landing at touchdown. I tried leaning and richening the lowend and also tried a slighlty higher idle with no success. It is cold here today around 50 degrees. Maybe that impacts it as it kept running after several landings on Friday.

I would like to figure out the idle and quiting on touchdown issue. I am trying to get my mixes setup and I have too land several times for that. It's a PITA to restart the motor everytime I land just to make a mix change. Nothing like walking to get my $1200 plane while a $200 trainer does multiple touch and gos...... However I do like the top end power!
QSPILOTCMH is offline Find More Posts by QSPILOTCMH
Old 11-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by Captinjohn
Hesperia Michigan USA
Joined Feb 2006
570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSPILOTCMH View Post
Quick Update -

It's been a while since I posted about my DLE30 in my TLT Sukhoi 25%. Since I damaged the fuselase a month ago on a deadstick I put the plane in the corner. Well I got a new fuselage from Tom at Valleyview RC and got everything transferred over. I ran it Friday with the cowl off and it ran great in flight and only quit 3 out of 12 on landing touchdown. I ran it Saturday and Sunday with the cowl on and again it was good inflight and quit a few times on landing touchdown.

I'm not sure what changed but in the old fuselage it ran like crap in the air and would quit on every touchdown. Maybe I have the needles set perfect now. I did open the hole a bit larger on my 35mm film container for the metering valve.

I would still like to get a better idle and prevent the engine quiting on touchdown. Sometimes it idles at 2000 when I retard the throttle and next time its at 1800. Can the high needle effect that?

I have a Digital throttle servo with double balllinks so there is no slop in the rod. Once everything gets figured out with DL's fix I will sent it back to Jody.
I wish some dealer that had extra carbs would take a known good running engine & swap the carb off it to a poor running engine to see if that made any difference at all. There could be a varience in carbs. One of our jobs in experimental was to pull a engine from the production line and place it on a dyno. Break it in a bit and THEN place a "master" carb on the engine to see how it ran & if it pulled the power it should. A very controlled test. Get the Idea!!! Capt,n
Captinjohn is offline Find More Posts by Captinjohn
Old 11-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Find More Posts by hollywoodjax
tryin to huck!!
Joined Jan 2008
1,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christaneagle View Post
QSPILOTCMH,
My DLE 30 idles the same way it does not always retard to the same rpm? I wish I knew the answer to that I think that would solve my problem. I even put the idle stop screw back in and that didn't help.
What does the idle stop screw have anything to do with the idle!! We always tossed them!! (extra weight lol) Just make sure your servo is not pulling against the idle stop screw or you may burn up your servo....Is everyone running their engines with the spring completely removed?(seen this happen to people when they remove the spring: Idle sucks cause now the butterfly has slop left to right causing a gap to increase and idle to be inconsistent) Just a thought!!!
hollywoodjax is offline Find More Posts by hollywoodjax
Old 11-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Find More Posts by classclown
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2006
2,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodjax View Post
What does the idle stop screw have anything to do with the idle!! We always tossed them!! (extra weight lol) Just make sure your servo is not pulling against the idle stop screw or you may burn up your servo....Is everyone running their engines with the spring completely removed?(seen this happen to people when they remove the spring: Idle sucks cause now the butterfly has slop left to right causing a gap to increase and idle to be inconsistent) Just a thought!!!
If you guys used good HD ball links, there would'nt be any slop.
classclown is offline Find More Posts by classclown
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 11-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Find More Posts by zippi
Evansville Indiana
Joined Feb 2006
692 Posts

My DLE 30 is running fine now but it can be a little stuborn at times when it's cold. Plenty of power and the idle is so low the plane will not move on concrete as you can see in the video. It took me a little time but I think I finally got the needles set pretty good. The idle is around 1800 rpm and the top end with the XOAR 18X8 is about 8300 rpm. I'm running Pennzoil at 32:1.

http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/H9-Ta...aft-DLE-30-2-2
zippi is offline Find More Posts by zippi
Old 11-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Find More Posts by bobrev06x
United States, NH, Canaan
Joined Oct 2006
1,939 Posts

that one there sure runs decent enough. nice job zipster. i've got one of these DLE 30 cc engines sitting on the front of a cyclone hobbies 70" extra 260. the project has been collecting dust particles for about a month now . i'll get back on it someday. i'm actually in no hurry as this is my winter project. maiden in the spring. long winter up here in new hampshire. dont want to get it done too soon!

so i've been following this thread and it's got some great info. thanks guys.
bobrev06x is offline Find More Posts by bobrev06x

Quick Reply