Airiley is offline Find More Posts by Airiley
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-21-2019, 05:49 AM
Find More Posts by dshriver
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Oct 2014
1,165 Posts
I think the servo connectors need to be something better. Some industrial servos use a separate connector for power, that offers a better connector and bigger gauge wire. With 1000 oz/in servos I really think we need something better than the JR connector. That's a separate issue though.

I've never seen a servo connector fail from over load. However, I've got telemetry logs with huge voltage sag on planes, in flight. How well does your 600oz/in+ servo run at 5 volts instead of 8.4?

I'm a big fan of Powerbox products. IMHO the are the gold standard of power distribution and I've been using their products for 20 years. However, there are good alternatives... smart fly, xps, power safe receivers, booma rc, etc.
dshriver is offline Find More Posts by dshriver
Old 10-21-2019, 07:14 AM
Find More Posts by NavyGuy757
United States, OH, Tallmadge
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshriver View Post
I think the servo connectors need to be something better. Some industrial servos use a separate connector for power, that offers a better connector and bigger gauge wire. With 1000 oz/in servos I really think we need something better than the JR connector. That's a separate issue though.

I've never seen a servo connector fail from over load. However, I've got telemetry logs with huge voltage sag on planes, in flight. How well does your 600oz/in+ servo run at 5 volts instead of 8.4?

I'm a big fan of Powerbox products. IMHO the are the gold standard of power distribution and I've been using their products for 20 years. However, there are good alternatives... smart fly, xps, power safe receivers, booma rc, etc.
I bet that's because they use regulators, however the voltage sag etc is prob due to not having a regulated output to the servos such as a powerboard (not the cost as they aren't regulated output)

Wish XPS sees that. Lmao. But he claimed there was no need for regulated outputs on the x24 to the servos or Rx. Lmao.
NavyGuy757 is offline Find More Posts by NavyGuy757
Old 10-21-2019, 07:33 AM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I sponser JR
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGuy757 View Post
I bet that's because they use regulators, however the voltage sag etc is prob due to not having a regulated output to the servos such as a powerboard (not the cost as they aren't regulated output)

Wish XPS sees that. Lmao. But he claimed there was no need for regulated outputs on the x24 to the servos or Rx. Lmao.
You actually missed the boat on what everyone is trying to tell you. If you think you know more than the gentleman at xps then by all means get on bang good and order you up a case of regulators. Run them in series to regulate the voltage going into the next regulator to get the smooth 4.8v you seek.
Festivus is offline Find More Posts by Festivus
Old 10-21-2019, 07:43 AM
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
You actually missed the boat on what everyone is trying to tell you. If you think you know more than the gentleman at xps then by all means get on bang good and order you up a case of regulators. Run them in series to regulate the voltage going into the next regulator to get the smooth 4.8v you seek.
Pretty sure you are missing my point. Every single other powerboard offers regulated outputs. And usually isolated power inputs.

.there's a reason so many use smartfly, as well as powerbox.

Complaining about costs in a 4-6 thousand dollar aircraft is funny. Trying to claim cost savings of 50-200 bucks when you spend nearly 4k for a decent 33% to upward of 10k for a well done 170cc/200cc plane

I'm not saying you need an external regulator. Your reason for getting a powerboard seems crippled when you don't have a regulated output.

.sure you may not need an actual seperate regulator bit if you're getting a powerboard of some kind. Most have a regulated output for a reason. If no one wanted it, they wouldn't sell them.

Smart fly and powerbox have been around MUCH longer than XPS. Period.

I have enough electrical knowledge to know regulated output is just superior to non regulated

Now that's not to say some crappy regulator is better than not using one. But a well designed tried and tested powerboard would be.

I also don't know anyone who's used the fromeco regulators and had one fail. Also everyone swears by fromeco. .

If I'm still missing the point why not elaborate on it then?

The servo connectors info above is completely off topic so no need on that.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:11 AM
Find More Posts by Airiley
United States, VA, Lynchburg
Joined Jul 2016
241 Posts
In what way is using a regulated output "superior" to non regulated ? Assuming your servos do not need the voltage reduction.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:24 AM
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airiley View Post
In what way is using a regulated output "superior" to non regulated ? Assuming your servos do not need the voltage reduction.
Eliminates voltage sag. Smoothes the power out, a fully charged batter is generally above the rating, a discharge curve is never perfectly linear. And even when somewhat straight is not flat. There are spikes and dips clean power is smoother power. If you've never flown with a regular or regulated power,. You won't know the difference. Your first flight is the same as your 10th flight of the day. It won't be unregulated.

HV or not. Rating is NOT at 8.4 volts. It can HANDLE 8.4 even though rated at 7.4. but that does NOT mean it will not wear on it or create excess heat.

A regulated output will also limit the current that can go when a servo fails or binds etc reducing issues that could propagate to other things like draining your battery or damaging it. Preventing it from powering the rest of the plane.

Hell even if you have an HV servo that is rated for 20 volts. It will still get more life if you regulate it down to a lower voltage. If I wanna go 6.6 I don't need different batteries now, I can change the regulator setting in the powerboard. And at 6v a 6v servo won't like the 6.6 and 7.2 of a life batt. Just Bec there may not be issues doesn't mean their won't be prematurely.

Assuming you don't need the reduction? Well, like I said, preventing voltage sag from normal use throught the day, as well as added drain from using multiple servos at the same time that may cause a dip in available voltage/current. Reducing the wear on a servo. A 7.4v servo will last longer running at 6v or even 4.8. You won't get the same torque but there are trade offs. So if it last longer at lower voltage, it's reasonable to assume that higher than 7.4 will cause excess wear. So keeping it at a constant 7.4 will just increase reliability and longevity.
.all those features generally outweigh the risks. As most powerboard use them anyway.
..a stand alone regulator may not be best idea, but most just ask to much of ONE. Or use crappy ones. I've actually never used stand alone ones. Only those in my powerboard. Never had an issue.

It's EXACTLY the same analogy as charging your batteries at max C rating. Or at a much lower c rating. It will charge fuller, and will last many more cycles if you don't charge a 6c max batt at 6c. Lmao. Instead at .5 or 1c. Etc.

Heat, voltage and current are the biggest wear on all electronics. Reducing all of them help it. To the minimum needed amount of course. Going beyond the min operation temp/voltage/current just won't work but keeping it below the MAX will work.

And if you ask me, with the increasingly digital nature of these servos and even processors in them they will be MUCH more susceptible to regulated issues. Processors and such don't like unfiltered power.

Also the higher voltage above the nominal rating can cause signal issues such as the jitter seen by over or under voltage in some brands (some high end) servos.
Last edited by NavyGuy757; 10-21-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:42 AM
Find More Posts by eheliflyer
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,664 Posts
I have said in the past that people should use what they feel comfortable using. But what I don't like is when people are sending out misinformed information stating that using certain equipment is unsafe! I choose to set my planes up a certain way because it works for me and I have never had issues. I have used power box systems in the past and they work great! At a certain point I did not see the cost justification for the added equipment when I could do the same thing with a regulator. I use Castel Sbec pros for regulating voltage on my big planes, and Duralight digi switches on my F3A planes. On the F3A planes I also run 8.0v out of the BEC on the speed control which gives me a redundant power source. Again, never had an issue on any of my setups.
eheliflyer is offline Find More Posts by eheliflyer
Old 10-21-2019, 09:00 AM
Joined Jul 2016
241 Posts
To me a regulator is a current limiting device that eliminates voltage sag largely by starting out at a voltage sag.
I also use the Castle Bec pro on one of my planes.
Any voltage regulator has a dropout value. I don't like having to think about needing to maintain a battery voltage high enough to stay above the dropout voltage after several flights.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:05 AM
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
To me a regulator is a current limiting device that eliminates voltage sag largely by starting out at a voltage sag.
I also use the Castle Bec pro on one of my planes.
Any voltage regulator has a dropout value. I don't like having to think about needing to maintain a battery voltage high enough to stay above the dropout voltage after several flights.

Lol name one? Most will just continue to give output voltage at battery level when input voltage is below the desired output.
Name one that has Ana actual drop out voltage and what that voltage is. I'd bet that any that do are much lower than any safe discharge on any battery you'd put it to.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:15 AM
Joined Jul 2016
241 Posts
Correct, most will continue to provide unregulated, but still current limited power. So what is the incentive again to use the regulator provided the servos do not need the reduced voltage ?
Old 10-21-2019, 09:21 AM
Joined Mar 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
Correct, most will continue to provide unregulated, but still current limited power. So what is the incentive again to use the regulator provided the servos do not need the reduced voltage ?
Please read my reply to that same question I gave directly after your duplicate question. I gave you many reasons.

Please give em as many reasons why I SHOULD not use regulated power?
Old 10-21-2019, 09:30 AM
Joined Jul 2016
241 Posts
You should use whatever your system requires, makes you happy, and feel good about. If your servos cannot handle unregulated 2s voltage, up to 8.4 volts, than you are required to use a regulated power distribution system.

As far as your earlier reply, sure running a HV servo on 6 or 4.8V is easier on it. Running a 200 mph V12 Ferrari at 40 mph is easy on it. But it's not why you buy one.

Are you saying that the servos that are 7.4v rated are NOT capable of handling the full charge voltage ?
Old 10-21-2019, 01:11 PM
Find More Posts by A.Delaney
United States, IL, Streator
Joined May 2018
459 Posts
Well this entire thread is off topic because the op was about matching servos not regulating power. Just buy a smart fly Equalizer II and be done. They’re not expensive and you don’t need to buy anything else . Use the servos you have and run power how you want.
A.Delaney is offline Find More Posts by A.Delaney
Old 10-21-2019, 01:58 PM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Team AJ Aircraft / Team JR
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
3,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGuy757 View Post
Please read my reply to that same question I gave directly after your duplicate question. I gave you many reasons.

Please give em as many reasons why I SHOULD not use regulated power?
You SHOULD use whatever you feel comfortable using. Most of us like as simplistic a setup as possible, which means no regulators.

Use whatever you're comfortable using.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..

Quick Reply