Old 08-07-2014, 07:01 PM
Find More Posts by cherrybomb48
Geaux Lower!
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Oct 2010
892 Posts
Question
57" Electric setup help

What setup do you guys recommend for a 57" electric 3D/aerobatic plane. Im not looking to break the bank but I was looking for relatively inexpensive, reliable electric setup. Batteries, Motor, ESC, Servos etc...

Thanks!
cherrybomb48 is offline Find More Posts by cherrybomb48
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Find More Posts by vmceachern
You can't fix STUPID
Texas City, Tx
Joined Dec 2008
4,505 Posts
1700-2000 watts should do that size great. Say. On 6s?
Hacker has some great stuff.
vmceachern is offline Find More Posts by vmceachern
Old 11-02-2014, 01:32 AM
Find More Posts by Manuel V
Joined Jun 2008
8 Posts
You need to know the estimated weight of the model.
The percentage of thrust you want to do your type of flight.
The diameter of the propeller that you consider perfect for your model.

Another consideration is: With few serial lipo you want to fly?
Manuel V is offline Find More Posts by Manuel V
Old 11-26-2014, 09:17 PM
Find More Posts by CanCanCase
Look, I can hover a foamy!
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Dec 2006
365 Posts
Up to about 7 lbs AUW, 1500-2000 watts will make you smile and giggle like a little girl every time you fly! This is actually my favorite range for size/weight/power and the class of plane I build most.

Find a 45-ish mm motor thats rated for about 500-550kV and 6S power.
60, 80, and 100A ESC's all seem to use the same (ish) heat sincs and cases, so I just always buy 100A ESC's, even if I'm only pulling 60 or 70A same weight, might as well have a safety margin over the top. Slap a 16x8 e prop on and your 3D performance can go from mild to wild at the push of a stick…

Battery wise, I fly profiles, so I prefer a pair of 3S packs in series, mounted one per side for balance. A single 6S pack mounted in the fuse works fine too, depending on your particular airframe. I've found 3300 - 3500 mAh gives me all the flight time I need (about 7-8 minutes). I also learned that better quality packs, with a lower internal resistance makes a big difference… example: I get better flight times and more "punch" from a pair of 3S/3300/60C packs than I do from a pair of 3S/4000/30C packs.

As far as specific brand, go with what your wallet can manage. Just like servos, kits/ARFs, or anything else in this hobby, you more-or-less get what you pay for. I've had great luck with some über-low-budget setups just as I've done well flying top-dollar rigs. Hacker, Scorpion, Motrolfly, Leopard, Suppo… all make good motors in this size class. I like Castle ESCs for the logging, and I know them and can program easily with my laptop. That said, my everyday flyers each use a Castle, Cobra, HobbyWing, and cheap-o unbranded ESCs…

-Case
CanCanCase is offline Find More Posts by CanCanCase

Quick Reply